Getting a good X-35 Surf Wake??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a good X-35 Surf Wake??

Okay, I've hunted this site and many others looking for suggestions on where/how much weight to place on the X-35 for a good surf wake. I pick up my new X35 tomorrow...during the test run we wanted to see the surf wake (too cold to actually surf). I wasn't impressed with the surf wake but it wasn't a show stopper as I figured it would take some adjusting just like any other boat.

The question; Has anyone surfed behind a X35 with a good wake? If so, where was the extra weight placed and how much? Was the forward ballast 100% full?

THANKS!!!

1st Congrats on a new X-35. My next boat if I had the means right now.

We do a ton of surfing behind my X-2 and a friends X-45. Start with adding weight in the rear corner, on the side you are going to surf on. A good ratio that I have started and worked on is 3:2:1. Say 900 lbs in the rear, 600 in the middle and 300 in the front. All on the side. I would not use the center ballast yet, maybe later you can tune with it. That should get you started with a pretty decent wake. You are going to have to mess around with the speed as well. On your boat, take a stab and go up and down. Maybe start at 11.5(?).
    Good luck and have fun!

Comment

i struggled to get a good surf wave out of my 08 xstar but i read a post on wakeworld by protour driver travis moye. he said to fill ALL of the stock ballast to sink the boat evenly THEN fill the side you are gonna surf on with the integrated fly high pro x system. in my boat that means a 750 lb sack in the rear port compartment and a 400 lb sack under the port bow port seat. then position any and all people in the boat evenly along the length of the port side. the more weight you move to the front the further back the surfer will be able to sustain his ride. i tried it and it works. i can only assume it would be a basic formula to follow for any/all boats.
      Last edited by Ole Miss Rebels; 03-03-2010, 11:41 PM.

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)

Comment

I spoke to Mike at Fly High the other day about weighting the x.star for surfing. He had an x.star to work with last year at BFI and he said basically what you say Moye said. Weight the boat evenly and heavily and then put a surf sack on the side you want to surf. In addition to 1000 lbs of stock ballast, he put two 750s in the rear, two 250s in the front, and an ultimate surf sack on the passenger side seats. He said he had about 3500-4000 lbs of add'l ballast. I immediately had to buy more ballast bags! If you have other questions, I would call Mike, he knows pretty much everything about fat sacks, pumps, etc.

Comment

I agree and use the setup that Moye recommends...
          2017 Mastercraft XT21- Black & Calypso Green Flake and Coolfeel interior

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2018 Audi Q7 Technik Navarra Blue with S-Line, Black Optics, Luxury package, advanced driver assistance, Audi Sport 21" wheels, tow hitch

Comment

whoa, baby

Originally posted by jbkriss View Post
            I spoke to Mike at Fly High the other day about weighting the x.star for surfing. He had an x.star to work with last year at BFI and he said basically what you say Moye said. Weight the boat evenly and heavily and then put a surf sack on the side you want to surf. In addition to 1000 lbs of stock ballast, he put two 750s in the rear, two 250s in the front, and an ultimate surf sack on the passenger side seats. He said he had about 3500-4000 lbs of add'l ballast. I immediately had to buy more ballast bags! If you have other questions, I would call Mike, he knows pretty much everything about fat sacks, pumps, etc.
            i am not sure i would be comfortable unevenly weighting an xstar likie that (or any boat for that matter). i sometimes get nervous just adding an additional 1200-1500 lbs on teh port side. especially in water that is full of rollers. but if you got the nerve to pull that off i am sure the wave would be considerably bigger than anything i have seen my boat produce.

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)

Comment

Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. He didn't put that all on one side. He put a 750 in each rear locker, 250 under the port bow and 250 under the starboard bow seats. Then the Surf sack (1100 lbs) on the port passenger seats. That's what I meant by evenly and heavily... Like Moye said, basically sink the boat evenly, then add a surf sack to the side you're surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by jbkriss View Post
                Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. He didn't put that all on one side. He put a 750 in each rear locker, 250 under the port bow and 250 under the starboard bow seats. Then the Surf sack (1100 lbs) on the port passenger seats. That's what I meant by evenly and heavily... Like Moye said, basically sink the boat evenly, then add a surf sack to the side you're surfing.
                thanks hurricane. that makes sense to me. after re-reading it you did indeed phrase it correctly. i just mis-interpreted. sounds like i have everything i need as i already have the prox system integrated in my boat and i have an L18 with the 14.75 X 15.5 prop. i have an additional sack that is 600 lbs and that should get me started with a few addtional people in the boat all moved over to the port side. did mike day how he would rate the wave compared to a centurion enzo?

Comment

nah, I didn't ask how it was relative to the enzo's wake.

Comment

Thanks!

Great info....I'm not one to re-invent a wheel that's already been designed, so thanks! I picked up the boat yesterday and took it out for an evening spin. We only had 5 people on the boat, but we played around with that weight and the stock ballast and did get a better wake than what we saw during the demo, so I was hopeful. Your info. makes a lot of sense. I like what you have to say about sinking the boat evenly first....the more time I spend in this boat the more I recognize how big it is and expect that much more ballast to be needed. My 23' Supra looks like a baby next to it.....it's soon to go on the market .

Thanks again!

Here she is....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ; 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

great looking boat. congrats

Comment

wow... that's a good looking boat!

get us a picture of it on the water with the sun glimmering off it! Sweet!
                        2017 Mastercraft XT21- Black & Calypso Green Flake and Coolfeel interior

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2018 Audi Q7 Technik Navarra Blue with S-Line, Black Optics, Luxury package, advanced driver assistance, Audi Sport 21" wheels, tow hitch

Comment

Looks sharp. Congratulations man.

Comment

Great looking boat!

The gold X-35 is a gorgeous boat.

Please contact me if you decide to sell it. I have an X-2 for the river and lake house but am looking for an X-35 for my home lake- where we need more room while also some recreational boarding - its a bigger party.

Comment

Thread Revival: we have dialed in a wave with enough push for even (Sasquatch) me!

Listed to the left with all hard tanks full, port 750 bag full, extra bag 600lb in front of rear seat, 400lb lead in port bow seat, starboard surftab 100%, 0% center and port tab, 11.4mph

Have OJ prop 812 and like it, feel it bogs a little when at full ballast.

Going to try Acme 2241 sometime in the next week and let you know what it feels like.

2012 X35 6.0 Ilmor PowerTower

Comment

Working...
                              X