Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slalom wake on V-Drives & Early X-Stars

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slalom wake on V-Drives & Early X-Stars

    I'm considering buying a V-drive boat for more family-related uses (currently have 91 PS 190). I'm looking to stay under $25k, so guessing mid-late 90's or early 00's. At 34/36 mph is there a reasonable wake on a V-drive boat out there, or do I really need to be looking at 205 straight inboard?

  • #2
    I think you are going to be somewhat unhappy with any wake besides a 190/197 if you still serious about slalom. I would like to have a bigger boat for the same reasons you mention but I just couldn't give up the performance of the 197. Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      It all depends on how good you are...we ski behind our 2010 X-Star. WE usually only have 1/4 of tank of gas and a total of 3 people in the boat...so one skiing one driver and a spotter...and the wake at 30-34 is nice! We used to ski behind a 1987 Prostar...and as long as you are on edge no issues. Just don't fill up the tank or ballast and you will be fine.

      Good luck.

      Greg
      2010 X-Star
      http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...h_PICT3382.jpg

      Comment


      • #4
        ..........
        Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-19-2015, 09:32 PM.
        93 190
        (safe click)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GregS View Post
          It all depends on how good you are...we ski behind our 2010 X-Star. WE usually only have 1/4 of tank of gas and a total of 3 people in the boat...so one skiing one driver and a spotter...and the wake at 30-34 is nice! We used to ski behind a 1987 Prostar...and as long as you are on edge no issues. Just don't fill up the tank or ballast and you will be fine.

          Good luck.

          Greg
          Greg, you're fuel pump is going to have a shorter life if you let the tank go below 1/4.

          Dave, try skiing behind a 205 and a 209 (more space). The choice in v-drive would be a 205V/X-2 hull but like others have said I think you'll be disappointed in the slalom wake.
          I was njskier on here.

          Comment


          • #6
            ..........
            Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-19-2015, 09:33 PM.
            93 190
            (safe click)

            Comment


            • #7
              Best thing to do is test a few of them. I'm sure a bigger boat that is designed for wakeboarding will have a bigger wake. I went from an 87 Prostar to a 95 Maristar 200 and the wake behind the Maristar is actually flatter (in my opinion). I don't ski a course so the wake isn't that critical to me. I love the wake behind my Maristar for footing, but I really have to load the boad down to get any kick for wakeboarding. My buddy's Prostar has better (higher) wake at 22 mph for wakeboarding. I also went to the V-drive for more room and I thought I would also get a bigger wake for wakeboarding but it turns out the wake was a lot flatter than my Prostar. Hull design on each boat will make a huge difference. I do agree if slalom is your thing, a 205 is a good choice. I was looking at the 205 but my wife wanted more room in the middle of the boat.
              “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

              Comment


              • #8
                I am not an awesome skier but I am really dissappointed everytime I ski an "X" hull. I skied the X14V this week and the wake was OK but it drove like a tug compared to my 205. There is just no perfect boat ... life is full of comprimises

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am biased but the x14/214 is an awesome crossover boat .... maybe beyond the budget mentioned in the original post. The 205 is a great next choice.

                  I used to have a 93 PS 190 and I find that my 214 is very similar in slalom performance. Good luck.
                  Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

                  2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                  1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
                  Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

                  "Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
                  "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
                    I am biased but the x14/214 is an awesome crossover boat .... maybe beyond the budget mentioned in the original post. The 205 is a great next choice.

                    I used to have a 93 PS 190 and I find that my 214 is very similar in slalom performance. Good luck.
                    93PS - PM at ya

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My 1999 X-Star (same as 205V) gets decent wake once you get up above 32 mph with only me and a half a tank. With a few more people or full tank you can really start to tell a difference.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BIGBADBLUE View Post
                        I am not an awesome skier but I am really dissappointed everytime I ski an "X" hull. I skied the X14V this week and the wake was OK but it drove like a tug compared to my 205. There is just no perfect boat ... life is full of comprimises
                        Well said sir, hull charecteristics for wakeboarding and slalom skiing are polar opposites. I am convinced of this:

                        1. Ski 2. Wakeboard 3. Surf best with a 205DD (X14 if you have the cash) but you won't ever have a great surf wake

                        1. Board 2. Surf 3. Ski 205V or newer X2 with wake plate but you won't ever have a great ski wake

                        1. Board 2. Surf 3) Don't care if I ever ski opens up just about every X boat in the lineup

                        I arrived a the second scenario and love my X1 more each trip out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cloaked View Post
                          The 209 is a beast of a boat for that hull design. Magred has a 209 and it holds a lot of people just out joyriding.

                          .
                          And if your budget is the low 20's, that beautiful yellow 209 is being offered at around that very price at some place in Indianapolis. My loss could be your gain

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mag_Red View Post
                            And if your budget is the low 20's, that beautiful yellow 209 is being offered at around that very price at some place in Indianapolis. My loss could be your gain



                            Hows the vinyl look??
                            ___________________________________________


                            ________________________________

                            Originally posted by bturner2
                            Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
                              Hows the vinyl look??
                              Ouch!....................
                              sigpic

                              1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X