Help! PS195, 205, or 209?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! PS195, 205, or 209?

I recently sold my '93 Prostar 205 thinking that I wanted a V-drive. After buying and selling a Centurion V-drive I have realized that I hate the handling and wake on V-drives. My friend just bought an '03 Maristar VRS230 and the ski wake is bad too.

I am now in search of a DD that will work for wakeboarding as well as recreational slalom skiing.
    There are no ski boats in my area so I have narrowed my choices down to three boats- a 2000 205 DD, a PS195, and an X9/PS209

I don't have the opportunity to test drive any of them before I make a 700mi- 1500mi road trip. I am reasonable comfortable that the 205 will not be much different than my previous generation boat but I was hoping for some feedback on the other two:

What is the size difference between the 205, 209 and the 195 for gear and people?

Slalom wake for the 209 vs. 205?

Will the 209 have a decent (43-44mph) top speed and power with the 310hp as compared to the 330-350hp engines? My 205 performed great with the 285hp GT-40 motor.

Any help would be appreciated, because each of these boats are in a completely different direction so I get to choose a boat over the internet and hope it all works out.

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi Andy

I am one of a few people on this board who as acutally owned every one of these boats... I had a 94 205, a 2000 PS195 and just this summer bought a PS209. I will give a short review of each boat...

1. 94 PS 204 - Best all around boat I have ever owned. Ski wake is fantastic and can be made into a really good wakeboard boat. Can hold lots of friends and family and has lots of storage. But I hated every second of having a Carb engine. Do youself a favor and only look at FEI.

2. 2000 PS 195 - Simply put this is nothing more than a PS190 with a very small hole cut out in the bow. It has 2 jump seats in the open bow but no one over the age of 10 is going to fit very well and it makes the boat very front heavy with 2 people in it. But it is the best pure ski boat of the 3. Not much of a wakeboard boat but can do for novice to intermediate. This boat gets out of the hole fantastic and is the most powerful feeling of the 3.

3. 2002 PS 209/X9 - I really like this boat it does a lot of stuff really well but its price does not justify it compared to the 205. Holds lots of people, has a good ski wake (bigger than the 205 but still really good)and makes a really good wakeboard wake even without ballast. However one of the things I don't like about this boat is that it sits really low in the water in the front. Bow takes on water when you turn around to pick someone up if you are not careful. Mine has the 310 and it does just fine until you really load the boat up eith people and then it starts to have trouble getting out of the hole pulling a wakeboarder. Some of that has to do with the huge amount of "wet surface area" of this boat, meaning this boat has a lot of the hull touching this water at all times causing drag but also makes for a big wake when you need it.

If it were me and I was in a position to buy a boat right now I would look for a 96 or 97 PS205 with the LT-1 Corvette engine. Fantastic boat and they are ususally priced right. Plus the boat will always be stylish and can adapt to any watersports you are wanting to do/try.

Hope that helps.

Comment

That was perfect, just what I was looking for, thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by ps205 View Post
        If it were me and I was in a position to buy a boat right now I would look for a 96 or 97 PS205 with the LT-1 Corvette engine. Fantastic boat and they are ususally priced right. Plus the boat will always be stylish and can adapt to any watersports you are wanting to do/try.

Hope that helps.
        I'll say go with the 205 for an all around boat too but don't go with one that has the corvette engine, try and find an EFI 5.7 Vortec and you'll real happy. There's people here that swear by the LT-1 but the aluminum heads are something I would always worry about, if you're out and the ipeller goes you can warp the LT-1 in a second, then you need a new engine. I have a 98 205 with the 5.7 vortec efi and it's been the best boat I have owned. Good luck with the hunt.

Comment

Agree on the 205 being best best. Disagree on the LT1 concern. Great engine. Change the impeller every year or two (remove in the offseason, which you should do no matter wha engine you have) mms sure the thermostats work, put gas in and have fun....

Comment

Agree on the 205 being best best. Disagree on the LT1 concern. Great engine. Change the impeller every year or two (remove in the offseason, which you should do no matter wha engine you have) make sure the thermostats work, put gas in and have fun....

I would not make this a requiement if it is hard to find, but definitely a bonus if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
              Agree on the 205 being best best. Disagree on the LT1 concern. Great engine. Change the impeller every year or two (remove in the offseason, which you should do no matter wha engine you have) make sure the thermostats work, put gas in and have fun....

I would not make this a requiement if it is hard to find, but definitely a bonus if you do.
              Like I said

Originally posted by coz
              There's people here that swear by the LT-1
              I would never own a boat with the LT-1 and there's probably a reason they stopped using them.

Comment

Coz, they may have stopped using them because they haven't been a production engine since about '97..........

And the head warping doesn't happen "in a second" I've had my temp gauge pegged numerous times from sucking up salvinia and with almost 700 hrs its still fine.

Comment

Originally posted by brat View Post
                  Coz, they may have stopped using them because they haven't been a production engine since about '97..........

And the head warping doesn't happen "in a second" I've had my temp gauge pegged numerous times from sucking up salvinia and with almost 700 hrs its still fine.
                  I'm sure it's a fine engine if that's what you're into and yes 97 was the last year

Comment

Originally posted by aswile View Post
                    I recently sold my '93 Prostar 205 thinking that I wanted a V-drive. After buying and selling a Centurion V-drive I have realized that I hate the handling and wake on V-drives. My friend just bought an '03 Maristar VRS230 and the ski wake is bad too.

I am now in search of a DD that will work for wakeboarding as well as recreational slalom skiing.
                    There are no ski boats in my area so I have narrowed my choices down to three boats- a 2000 205 DD, a PS195, and an X9/PS209

I don't have the opportunity to test drive any of them before I make a 700mi- 1500mi road trip. I am reasonable comfortable that the 205 will not be much different than my previous generation boat but I was hoping for some feedback on the other two:

What is the size difference between the 205, 209 and the 195 for gear and people?

Slalom wake for the 209 vs. 205?

Will the 209 have a decent (43-44mph) top speed and power with the 310hp as compared to the 330-350hp engines? My 205 performed great with the 285hp GT-40 motor.

Any help would be appreciated, because each of these boats are in a completely different direction so I get to choose a boat over the internet and hope it all works out.

Thanks,
                    Andy
                    not sure if this helps but there is a PS205 for sale on TT

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/sh...p?product=3594

Comment

I just boat a 2000 PS 205 this summer for the same reasons you are looking at one. The slalom wake is quite good. I skied behind another closed bow 19'DD today and My PS205 wake is only a tiny bit larger, but the amount of rome I have in my boat is of now comparison to this closed bow. I have also been able to create a good wakeboard and surfing wake with some added weight. I have never dipped the bow in my 205, even with 2-3 people in the bow and 1000# of ballast on one side of the boat for surfing. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help! I have lots to think about but at least one less boat to look at now.

Andy

Comment

Andy:

From your first post it sounds like you recognize your previous 205 (and the one PS205 mentions below) are both first generation 205's and that the 2000 205 is a second generation 205.

There is some info on the second generation 205 in this thread:
                          http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...4&postcount=18

I would not discount the PS 195 too quickly - there are many reasons why it was in production for so long. For more in the following thread.
                          http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=14622

In terms of first hand experience I have spent time (skied and wakeboarded) on both a second generation DD 205 and our X-5 (PS 195). I ski 32 mph, 15 off most of the time and wakeboard about 21 mph, 60' line. For me, these two hulls have a similar wake - for me I noticed more a size difference sking (with the 205 being slightly bigger for slalom - but they feel similar) than I did wakeboarding (no ballast). A few of the differences I have noticed (from being pulled and driving both):

205 DD
                          • storage
                          • interior room
                          • wakeboard wake (can carry more ballast)

PS195
                          • slalom wake
                          • hole shot
                          • sports car feel (driving)

The owner of the 205 was very suprised with the wakeboarding performance of the 195 - what a nice lip the 195 has produces with 300 lbs of ballast in a single rear bag. We carry more at times, but not all the time. The most common reaction when someone wakeboards our boat for the first time is, "Nice wake!"

Our family is small (4), we are small people (largest 175 lbs), and we run ours from our own dock on a small lake. The more I use our boat (and use others) the more I am convinced we made the right decision for our family. Your decision will depend on your needs.

My advice: Read as much as you can, talk to as many people as you can, and water test all of them (if you can). As much research as I did on our boat, I was still suprised by a few things when I water tested it.

Good luck with your boat shopping.

Originally posted by ps205 View Post
                          Hi Andy

I am one of a few people on this board who as acutally owned every one of these boats... I had a 94 205, a 2000 PS195 and just this summer bought a PS209. I will give a short review of each boat...

1. 94 PS 204 - Best all around boat I have ever owned. Ski wake is fantastic and can be made into a really good wakeboard boat. Can hold lots of friends and family and has lots of storage. But I hated every second of having a Carb engine. Do youself a favor and only look at FEI.

2. 2000 PS 195 - Simply put this is nothing more than a PS190 with a very small hole cut out in the bow. It has 2 jump seats in the open bow but no one over the age of 10 is going to fit very well and it makes the boat very front heavy with 2 people in it. But it is the best pure ski boat of the 3. Not much of a wakeboard boat but can do for novice to intermediate. This boat gets out of the hole fantastic and is the most powerful feeling of the 3.

3. 2002 PS 209/X9 - I really like this boat it does a lot of stuff really well but its price does not justify it compared to the 205. Holds lots of people, has a good ski wake (bigger than the 205 but still really good)and makes a really good wakeboard wake even without ballast. However one of the things I don't like about this boat is that it sits really low in the water in the front. Bow takes on water when you turn around to pick someone up if you are not careful. Mine has the 310 and it does just fine until you really load the boat up eith people and then it starts to have trouble getting out of the hole pulling a wakeboarder. Some of that has to do with the huge amount of "wet surface area" of this boat, meaning this boat has a lot of the hull touching this water at all times causing drag but also makes for a big wake when you need it.

Hope that helps.
                          MasterCraft /MariStar OEM Decals (1989 to 2001) for various models.
                          Over 70 different decals to choose from!

Comment

I own a 93' 205 and absolutely love the boat (never have any problems with carb). This past weekend I went to a friends house and skied behind a 97' 205 with the LT1. AWESOME MOTOR. The ski wake on the newer 205 is noticably firmer and larger. More useable space and you don't have to worry as much about dunking the bow with people up front. Hate not having a ski locker.

I've skied behind a maristar 200 and thought the wake was similar to the newer 205. I'd give it a second look. I've also owned a big centurion and hated it. Drove like a truck and put out a pig of a wake.

The 195 is much smaller feeling than your old boat. Would recommend against as the ski wake will also be a downgrade from the 93'.

209 I have no experience with.

Have you considered a 197?

Comment

That is fantastic information. I am actually considering a 197 now as well. It is difficult because there are zero boats to get on without a minimum of 10hr ride. Several of the boats I am serious about are in the 20-22hr drive range! I will keep reading and hope I make the right choice.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X