X-14/X-14v owners & enthusiasts thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great responses, thanks everyone!

For those than run 13x12 or 13x11.5 did you ever run 13x11 and if so what difference did you notice (aside from the hum comment).

I should have added I have MXC with standard transmission. I can’t say I have any complaints about current prop but figure if I’m repairing it maybe change the pitch.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by PS205Tex View Post
      I’ll check this week when I am out re 35mph RPM. I see north of 45mph around ~5k and there is still more. This is with an FAE too. I will take a vid of dash at 35mph and also at 5200 RPM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thank you sir.
      If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
      1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

• I'd still be relying on Eric @ OJ for prop recommendations. He's always been super helpful and knows these boats better than any of us. He designed new props to mate to the X14's back in '08. (Not necessarily disagreeing with anything said - I didn't read close enough. ) He specifically designed one for the X14 with the MCX/ 1.26.
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double D View Post
          Thank you sir.

I gathered some data today:

4000 rpm @ 35 mph
          5300 rpm @ 44 mph

2008 x14, OJ 13x12 VC .65, LY6 with 1.22 transmission

2008 X14
          1964 Boston Whaler Nauset
          1994 PS205, sold

Comment

• Originally posted by PS205Tex View Post
            I gathered some data today:

4000 rpm @ 35 mph
            5300 rpm @ 44 mph

2008 x14, OJ 13x12 VC .65, LY6 with 1.22 transmission

Thanks for the details sir. The Acme 1281 prop (13.25 x 15 - .08 cup) I have on mine (same drivetrain) gives me:

3600 rpm @ 35 mph
            5600 rpm @ 46 mph

Now we need to race to see how bad my hole shot is..

Comment

• fuel pump fuse

My boat is 2011 X14V with 6.0 Ilmore. Anyone know which fuse under the dash is for the fuel pump? Some of mine are labeled but not the fuel pump.

Thanks

Comment

• drive by wire malfunction

What's the combined wisdom on the electronic throttle on the x14? My boat is 2011 x14v with Ilmor 6.0. After 5-10 hours in the water this season, the throttle started acting up. First it began to idle at 2k. When we tried to decrease throttle it would die. The only solution for this was to push the neutral safety switch and rev the motor up a little and then decrease very very slowly to appropriate idle. Do it too fast and the motor would die. One other thing is that periodically during this episode all the gauges on the dash would go to zero. This had no effect on what was going on with the motor at the time. Eventually they would come back. The boat is in the shop presently. Service guy there told me there are a couple sensors behind the throttle lever and a couple more in the throttle body. Could be any or all of those.

Has anyone had trouble with the drive by wire system? Is it a known flaw? If so, has the fix stuck or were there repeated trips to the dealer?

Thanks,

Bill Montgomery

Comment

• swim platform plastic washers

Anyone have a good procedure for no more than 2 people to reinstall the swim platform and the plastic washers?

Comment

• what are the plastic washers - I'm thinking that I might be missing mine as the platform seems to have a lot of play
                    2010 X14 MCX
                    2006 197 MCX - sold
                    2002 X9 - sold
                    19' J craft - sold
                    19 Charger SK - sold

Comment

• depending on the particular bracket design you have, some play is normal. The washers I'm talking about are about an inch and a half in diameter and have a bushing-like lip which engages with the slot in the bracket

Comment

• see this thread:
                        https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...atform+washers

Comment

• The washers won't tighten the platform. The movement up and down in normal. I'm fairly sure that I didn't bother re-installing them after removing the platform the first time on my X15's.
                          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• Hey all, relatively new X14 owner here. I bought the boat about a year and a half ago and have just been working through fixing things up on it. I replaced the dead JL amp with a Rockford tm1000x5ad, swapped the 10” sub out for a 12” Rockford marine unit, and added a set of JL speakers by the drivers foot and corner near floor under observers seat. I replaced the TPS sensor due to a wandering throttle, rewired the plug to the speed/temp sensor because of corrosion, flipped all three ballast pumps to be pump down, motor up being two had leaked and rusted the pumps up. I also removed and cleaned the rust out of the steam vent and drilled two 1/8” holes in the thermostat to stop the dreaded idle overheat issue. Now just run the motor at 1500 rpm for about 30 seconds on first start to push out any air bubble and she’s golden. I shimmed the swim platform with sheet aluminum and drilled two new locking holes further down the support to get rid of the annoying platform banging. I bypassed the heater and shower because I don’t use them and it makes it easier to winterize. I wired the seat heater switch for the non existent seat heater to power the accessory circuit to keep the stereo on while starting and stopping frequently to pick up skiers. Switched the tower lights out from halogens to LED. Replaced the trailer tongue with a UFP inner and outer kit because the master cylinder was shot, replaced all wheel bearings and a few oil level sight caps. Rewired the whole trailer, welded the cracked guide pole brackets and switched out the boat buddy for a ramp n clamp unit. So if anyone needs any info on any of those fixes or part numbers, just let me know.

Comment

• Now for my real question. I have the stock 13” dia 12” pitch .065 cup prop on the boat with the ly6 and 1.22 trans. These are my performance numbers:

Max speed 5500 rpm 44mph
                              3500 rpm is 30 mph
                              6.1 sec to 30 (I think it’s actually faster, between Speedo lag and it being so crazy an accel that it’s hard to hit the stop button).

My big gripe is that when coming to a stop to pick up a skier, I just pop it in reverse at a really slow speed and maybe give a little throttle and it just cavitates and sucks the exhaust under the boat and really doesn’t do much to slow the boat.

I also think the motor is hitting the programmed rpm limit and closing the throttle at top speed, but I haven’t tested it with the computer hooked up to see if the tps changes. It just revs up to 5500 by the time your at about 25 mph and sits there like a torque converter waiting for the boat to catch up.

I’m leaning towards a higher pitch prop like the 1281. Does that prop give a little more bite at the lower rpms? I wish I could find a 13x12 but with more cup. My 240sc with the 454 and a 14x14 is what I’m comparing to. Just pop it in reverse as you pull up next to a skier and it brings you to a dead stop. That boat also turns exactly 1 mph per 100 rpm. Cruise at 30 mph and 3000 rpm or max out at 44 mph and 4400 rpm. A lower cruise rpm would be nice as well. We use the boat mostly for slalom skiing, so a quick accel is preferred, but everyone that’s driven the boat for me so far have been afraid to mash the throttle because they get scared when the thing pins em to the seat and they yank it back. So if I lost a little accel, I probably wouldn’t miss it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc Haze View Post
                                Now for my real question. I have the stock 13” dia 12” pitch .065 cup prop on the boat with the ly6 and 1.22 trans. These are my performance numbers:

Max speed 5500 rpm 44mph
                                3500 rpm is 30 mph
                                6.1 sec to 30 (I think it’s actually faster, between Speedo lag and it being so crazy an accel that it’s hard to hit the stop button).

My big gripe is that when coming to a stop to pick up a skier, I just pop it in reverse at a really slow speed and maybe give a little throttle and it just cavitates and sucks the exhaust under the boat and really doesn’t do much to slow the boat.

I also think the motor is hitting the programmed rpm limit and closing the throttle at top speed, but I haven’t tested it with the computer hooked up to see if the tps changes. It just revs up to 5500 by the time your at about 25 mph and sits there like a torque converter waiting for the boat to catch up.

I’m leaning towards a higher pitch prop like the 1281. Does that prop give a little more bite at the lower rpms? I wish I could find a 13x12 but with more cup. My 240sc with the 454 and a 14x14 is what I’m comparing to. Just pop it in reverse as you pull up next to a skier and it brings you to a dead stop. That boat also turns exactly 1 mph per 100 rpm. Cruise at 30 mph and 3000 rpm or max out at 44 mph and 4400 rpm. A lower cruise rpm would be nice as well. We use the boat mostly for slalom skiing, so a quick accel is preferred, but everyone that’s driven the boat for me so far have been afraid to mash the throttle because they get scared when the thing pins em to the seat and they yank it back. So if I lost a little accel, I probably wouldn’t miss it.

Yippie!!! Now your speaking my language and something I have been trying to figure out for a while.
                                I also have the LY6 and 1.22 and when I first got it I figured it was the wrong prop because of such high RPM’s and slalom speed. Here were my numbers with the original 13x12.

0 to 35 = 7.75 sec (timer on phone with speedo)
                                44 mph at 5500 rpm
                                35 mph at 4200 rpm

I researched a bit and found out a few things.

1. The same boat with the MCX and 1:1 transmission comes with a 13x11 and has great performance all around, and good RPM ranges.
                                2. All MC did with the LY6 and 1.22 was to change the pitch by 1”…. IMO it does not work like it should.
                                3. Someone smarter than me tested 3 OJ props and 1 Acme on a similar PS197 with the same LY6 and 1:22 and determined the best prop was the Acme 1281. So I purchased one and have been running it for 2 years now. Here are my numbers.

0-35 = 7.55 sec
                                46 mph at 5600 rpm (top speed is like 47)
                                35 mph at 3600 rpm

I love the RPM levels at Slalom speeds now and with no mufflers it helped knock down the roar of the 6 liter. But I and other seemed to feel something was missing on the holeshot. Maybe sluggish. So I started to ask around. OJ, Acme, and Nettle, and the most consistent response was the 1281 should be the best prop. I many times said I would go to a 4 blade to get more hole shot and lose some top end since I don’t need 47 mph, but nothing pops up.

The one awesome thing the 1281 does is through the mid range speeds. For example, if I’m running at ~25 mph and nail the throttle, that ***** moves, and quick!! Many times overshooting my desired 40mph barefoot speed. LOL

A more recent test was done when doing a drag race start next to an identical x14 with the MCX package. We were both loaded with gear and people, and he might of had ~150-200 more pounds. The start was pretty equal.

So not sure where to go from here but hope this helps. Maybe we can help each other.
                                Post a picture of your boat!!

Comment

Working...
                                X