No announcement yet.

X-14/X-14v owners & enthusiasts thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump....what's the size of fuel tank in a 2010 x14v? Is it 35 or 45 gallons?

Comment

• 35 Gallons

Comment

• We have pulled several endurance footers and a world champion wake crosser. The boat is fine for just about everything footing wise except wake cross. Not sure how it compared to the 209 but to a DXII it isn't as good.

Comment

• Originally posted by jason95gt View Post
          ....but to a DXII it isn't as good.
          sorry - noob here. What's a DXII?
          2014 X-14V
          2012 X-14V (gone)

Comment

• Originally posted by rtw_travel View Post
            sorry - noob here. What's a DXII?
            Sanger barefoot boat
            -Chad
            2021 GS22, 1995 CC Ski Nautique
            previous
            2010 MC x14v,
            2001 MC Prostar 190,
            1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
            1984 CC Ski Nautique,
            1979 CC Ski Tique

Comment

• I am new to the X14V thread. I am looking to buy a used 2012 x14V and have some questions:
              -I am new to surfing but not skiing. Will it be a great surf boat with extra ballast? I have young kids who will want to surf and wakeboard
              -is it normal to have a little water in the bottom of the boat: ie rain water that the sump pumps just can't bail out or should it always be bone dry?
              -any more advice on what I should be looking for when buying a used x14V would be helpful? appreciate the insight

Comment

• Originally posted by Tusker View Post
                I am new to the X14V thread. I am looking to buy a used 2012 x14V and have some questions:
                -I am new to surfing but not skiing. Will it be a great surf boat with extra ballast? I have young kids who will want to surf and wakeboard
                -is it normal to have a little water in the bottom of the boat: ie rain water that the sump pumps just can't bail out or should it always be bone dry?
                -any more advice on what I should be looking for when buying a used x14V would be helpful? appreciate the insight
                The x14v is based on the 197 hull (stretched), so the bottom is very flat. The goal was to create a reasonable cross-over from skiing to wakeboarding (which it has done better than other brands). IMO surfing is a bit of a stretch (others may disagree) from my experience. I certainly can't surf it without extra ballast. I am currently using two fat-sacs (one in the ski locker and the other across the stern engine compartment) to achieve a reasonable wake.

One of the secondary issues (after the flat bottom), impacting the wake surf is the swim deck. I know others have modified and even removed the deck clean up the wake with better results. For me, this is an enormous pain, I don't want to deal with.

I am water skier that needed to scale to wakeboarding for my wife; otherwise I would have got the x14 DD. If you do not ski and your primary sports are wake and surf, you might look at other boats (X-10) for example.

I can say it does deliver a very clean and reasonable wakeboard wake--and from a ski perspective I find the wake softer than anything in the CC family cross-overs. It does have a taller shelf than the same hull with a DD--- a compromise to gain more interior space. I regularly ski short-line (32 off) and have a very smooth cross.

I can't comment on the rain-water issue. My boat is rarely outdoors or ever in the rain. We pull it after every use and store it in the garage always. On a few occasions we have been traveling and it has been in the rain. I never noticed any accumulation of water that was an issue or notable.

I don't have any "special" advice in terms of shopping used x14v's beyond the typical issues relevant to all boat purchases. The overall setup: engine, transmission etc., have been deployed in lots of platforms across the MC line--so reliability etc. is very high. I would be concerned with hours and condition of interior / hull only.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if other questions arise.

Comment

• " It does have a taller shelf than the same hull with a DD--- a compromise to gain more interior space. "
                  C'mon Matt, don't open that can of worms again.
                  -Chad
                  previous
                  2010 MC x14v,
                  2001 MC Prostar 190,
                  1984 CC Ski Nautique,
                  1979 CC Ski Tique

Comment

• In terms of what to look for... If you're looking for a '12, then it almost doesn't matter because pretty well everything except wear and tear is under warranty.

You should know the '12's have had electronics problems. If you have faith that the latest software release fixes them, then by all means make the purchase. It might be wiser to wait a month to get feedback from all the '12 owners that things really are fixed... or perhaps consider a different model year. This may be the reason why the current owner is selling.

Edit: If you do a search for "touchscreen issues" or 2012 GDIG or 2012 ballast or 2012 medallion you should find lots of information on this site
                    2014 X-14V
                    2012 X-14V (gone)

Comment

• Originally posted by cdstukey View Post
                      " It does have a taller shelf than the same hull with a DD--- a compromise to gain more interior space. "
                      C'mon Matt, don't open that can of worms again.
                      Ha ha! : ) I miss DD

Comment

• Thanks for all the good advice. Can other owners who have surfed behind the x14v shed some light on how is performs?

Comment

• also, can you run a boom on the 2012 x14v?

Comment

• Yes you can put a boom on the 14s. I think Matt was pretty spot on in his assessment. IMO, the fourteens were conceived just as surfing was starting to take off, so they are designed more with wake boarding and slalom in mind. Surfing a 14 can be done with stock ballast but it is an exercise in perfecting your trim on the board and getting used to riding extremely close to your boat, as the rideable pocket is very short and close to the boat. It gets better with additional ballast but not great by any means. The platform will dig in with additional ballast, which no doubt knocks down the wake. The easiest fix is to drill a second set of holes in the platform bracket allowing you to run with the platform angled up, and thus more out of the way. But like Matt said it's kind of a pain.
                            On the plus side, once you get comfortable riding with the nose of your board over the platform you don't even have to stop to switch riders. Just "beach" your board on the platform and step onto the boat and the next person can just slide back off.
                            -Chad
                            previous
                            2010 MC x14v,
                            2001 MC Prostar 190,
                            1984 CC Ski Nautique,
                            1979 CC Ski Tique

Comment

• all good stiff and makes the decision that more confusing. I am also considering a Sport natique 200 but I am going to assume (unless someone that I have yet to talk to can tell me differently) that surfing will be no better on it than on the x14v. I like the interior space far better on the x14v than the Natique but I they tend to promote the marketing of its ability to surf as well as ski. I grew up skiing and still plan to do lots more. My kids are both under 5 so I am assuming they will do more of board and surf but I think as a crossover and given their age it will serve me well for many years.

all input welcome!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tusker View Post
                                all good stiff and makes the decision that more confusing. I am also considering a Sport natique 200 but I am going to assume (unless someone that I have yet to talk to can tell me differently) that surfing will be no better on it than on the x14v. I like the interior space far better on the x14v than the Natique but I they tend to promote the marketing of its ability to surf as well as ski. I grew up skiing and still plan to do lots more. My kids are both under 5 so I am assuming they will do more of board and surf but I think as a crossover and given their age it will serve me well for many years.

all input welcome!
                                I have experience with the Sport Natique 200 -- one of my best ski buddies has one. In all fairness I have not surfed it; however, I can't imagine it produces a better wake than the x14v does. It does have a relatively small and curved swim deck that might not cut into the wake as much as my boat does (possibly an advantage). I can say, from a ski standpoint the x14v wake crossing is MUCH better. The Natique (even short line) produces a very hard wake. If you are not really on edge and pulling hard, you will catch air everytime. It is bad enough, I don't view that boat as a ski boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X