• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rtw_travel1
    TT Regular
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by boscoman View Post
    Beginner slalom skier here. For those using an x14v for slalom skiing, is there anything you're doing to calm down the wake. I'm such a beginner that I'm 15 off at 30 mph. Still using the deep v handle to get up.
    I think the X14V is better at skiing than other VDrives, and its probably better than any direct drive at surfing. We are very happy with the compromise between all the water sports we do.

We ski a lot. The slower you go, the higher the wake is. Even if you can get up to 32mph, you will see an improvement.

Other things we do are straight forward: put the spotter in the bow spotter's seat and don't bring more than two others in the boat, but preferably bring just the spotter. The center tab seems to help a bit as does trying to run with less gas in the tank, but you can't overcome overcome the vdrive transmission weight and the weight of a V8 at the stern.

Comment

• Doc Haze
      TT Newbie
      • Aug 2021

Just remember that going with a four blade increases water friction, so it has the potential to hurt your top end. So are you feeling the borrowed prop is better than the 1281? The other downside to more blades, bigger diameter is that the boat will torque and lean more counter to the prop rotation and create an uneven wake. These boats tend to like two people on the passenger side to counter the driver with one and prop torque with the other. The wake didn’t seem to change much between my two props.

On the wake note boscoman, as rtw mentioned, adding 2 mph may help a bit. But dont worry about rope length. I’ve been slalom skiing for decades and I run at 22 off. I don’t have a course near me, so it’s all free skiing, but that length works best for my boats wake. Its just more comfortable there. Pull in or let out and see if you cross at a better place.

Comment

• Double D
        MC Addict
        • Sep 2004

Here is a video for the Enthusiasts...

If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
        1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

• PS205Tex
          TT Regular
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Double D View Post

https://rumble.com/vns1n3-stretching...asts-legs.html

Sound ON, wow! Appropriately hosted on Rumble!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          2008 X14
          1964 Boston Whaler Nauset
          1994 PS205, sold

Comment

• MIskiboat
            MC Devotee
            • Jul 2004

https://rumble.com/vns1n3-stretching...asts-legs.html

I’m confused. Calm water. The boat is supposed to go thru the middle of the course, not around it. With a skier.
            Looks like a nice setup.

Comment

• bluecollarbulldog
              TT Newbie
              • Apr 2015

Any Suggestions for a cover for my 2010 X14V? I am in need, and I don't want junk. I heard good things about evolution, but it doesn't sound like the have a templated for my boat??? I am in Indiana looking for a nice replacement cover!

Thanks,

Comment

• FoggyNogginz
                MC Maniac
                • Aug 2006

Skiboatcovers.com made this one for me, and that's my old X14V in the pic. Highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• JohnE
                  Super Moderator
                  • Jan 2006

Evolution says they don't have the template. Not sure why. They made one for me in 2015. Actually it was an X14 not X14V. I've heard good things about skiboatcovers so I'd look there, as Foggy said.
                  Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• cdstukey
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
                    Skiboatcovers.com made this one for me, and that's my old X14V in the pic. Highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
                    +1 for this. They made one for me and had it delivered to our NE Indiana home in less than quoted time. Great fit and quality.
                    -Chad
                    2021 GS22, 1995 CC Ski Nautique
                    previous
                    2010 MC x14v,
                    2001 MC Prostar 190,
                    1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
                    1984 CC Ski Nautique,
                    1979 CC Ski Tique

Comment

• Double D
                      MC Addict
                      • Sep 2004

Here is an 07 that needs some love.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

• JohnE
                        Super Moderator
                        • Jan 2006

Here is an 07 that needs some love.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3714338686571/
                        That is literally the boat that made me decide I needed to sell my 197 and buy an X14. Jay and Bill from NEFWM had it at the Worcester Boat Show in March '07. It's the first, and only '07 X14 they got, I believe. They didn't get it in time for the Boston show in January, 2 months before. If they had, I wouldn't have bought my '05 197 in February of '07.
                        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• Krw1225
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                          Evolution says they don't have the template. Not sure why. They made one for me in 2015. Actually it was an X14 not X14V. I've heard good things about skiboatcovers so I'd look there, as Foggy said.
                          The crazy thing is I actually sent it back to him last year when I had him add zip on side skirts! I should have told him to make the new template. My bad everyone, ha!

Comment

• Doc Haze
                            TT Newbie
                            • Aug 2021

Sigh…y’all might want to check your raw water pump bracket. Give it a wiggle. It looked perfectly fine until I tried to pull a hose off to winterize it and saw it move.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Double D
                              MC Addict
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Doc Haze View Post
                              Just remember that going with a four blade increases water friction, so it has the potential to hurt your top end. So are you feeling the borrowed prop is better than the 1281? The other downside to more blades, bigger diameter is that the boat will torque and lean more counter to the prop rotation and create an uneven wake. These boats tend to like two people on the passenger side to counter the driver with one and prop torque with the other. The wake didn’t seem to change much between my two props.

On the wake note boscoman, as rtw mentioned, adding 2 mph may help a bit. But dont worry about rope length. I’ve been slalom skiing for decades and I run at 22 off. I don’t have a course near me, so it’s all free skiing, but that length works best for my boats wake. Its just more comfortable there. Pull in or let out and see if you cross at a better place.
                              After running the OJ 4-Blade I recently picked up both the Acme 1253 (based on your testing) and an Acme 1171 for additional tests. I ran them last night in similar conditions to the 4-Blade OJ and got the best readings I could. The Stock OJ and Acme 1281 numbers are from a few years ago and in different conditions.

Air temp 62
                              Water temp 62
                              People in Boat 2 @ 440 lbs
                              The ski wake on the 3-blade 1253 was considerably better than the OJ 4-blade, IMHO..

The 1171 is a good prop but it puts me closer to the stock prop numbers and higher rpms at cruising a slalom speeds. Based on this testing I plan to keep the Acme 1253 and send back the Acme 1171 unless someone wants to buy it. The 1281 will be my backup and I will also sell off the OJ 13x12.

Attached Files

Comment

• 93Prostar190
                                MC Maniac
                                • Apr 2005

Wow that is some dedicated testing right there ... cold water and cold hard facts, well done to the DoubleD and his crew for taking one for the team in the interest of science.

Nice data ... love the relationship of pitch, and speed that the chart shows (as my ol' dusty hydro classes would indicate) in the 1281 vs. 1171 you also see some implied slip too ...

Based on the numbers I think I like the 1253 for your wakeboat. My 214 ski boat with 1:1 will be just fine with her little prop.

Mattscraft is going to challenge you to a race now that you did his recon for him.
                                Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                                1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
                                Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
                                "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

Comment

Working...
                                X