Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '03 X10 issue (please help!!!)

Hello all,

My Dad was out in our 2003 X10 about a week ago, and the boat stopped working. It had to be towed into the dock, and has been at our mechanics place since then. Our mechanic has been working on boats all his life, but doesn't work with very many Mastercrafts. To sum it all up, he doesn't know what is wrong.

He originally thought the fuel pump needed replacing, went ahead and bought a new fuel pump, and installed it to no avail.

He contacted our local Mastercraft dealership locally near Vancouver, BC, but they can't even diagnose the issue until July 11th at the earliest. Terrible news obviously...

Here is what our boat mechanic just told me over the phone (main issues):

- 0 fuel pressure
    - The boat is not getting fuel...and the new fuel pump installed didn't help
    - The dash is "flat" and not registering on any of the gauges
    - He thinks it may be an electrical issue, but isn't sure

Any thoughts/suggestions? I am going to forward on any responses to our mechanic, in the hopes that he can diagnose the issue a lot earlier than July 11th...thanks for your time!

Elect fuse/breaker on the + wire going to the ignitionkey/dash functions?
    Does the fuel pump come on when turning the key on to pressure up or not? If not he should have never replaced the pump if it's not getting power. If it is getting power and triggering the pump with 0 pressure build, then new pump is bad.
    Guages on my 06 are stepper motor and will cycle once key on and then go dead until the engine starts. My 96 had old elect potentiometer ?? guages. Again nothing except maybe the volt guage and gas guage is going to register until the engine is running.
    Need more info to help diagnose.
    '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

If you dont think you have the time or inclination to find and fix the problem, you might want to contact some local inboard dealers and see if they have any time to take a look. Any Mailbu/Tige/Moomba/SAN dealers in your area? Maybe some of them can help sooner than the MC dealer (or recommend an independent mechanic).

Just a thougt and good luck!
      Last edited by bobx1; 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Def should hear the pump kick on and as Thrall said see the gauges cycle immediately after turning key. If not, there's an electrical issue. Does the starter engage, click, anything when you try to start it? Is the kill switch bad? IIRC it cuts power to the fuel pump. (Just because lanyard is attached, doesn't mean its working) A simple test light should help isolate the problem.

Comment

There is a circuit breaker on the port side of the engine. A red button. Reset it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian B View Post
            There is a circuit breaker on the port side of the engine. A red button. Reset it.
            wow, didn't think about that! i had the same thing happen to me and that's what it was. never did figure out what caused it to kick off.

Comment

????????????????

Comment

I had this issue with my '03 x-30. It was the safety lanyard kill switch. I pulled the wires and jumped them together...everything worked. Hopefully it is that simple for you

Comment

I had the lanyard kill switch problem last week.
                  I was on the water wakeboarding and when i finished my set, my girlfriend stopped the engine. when i got back in the boat, it would not start. it was cranking but not starting. After 5 minutes of checking things, i removed the lanyard and re-installed it again. then it started as normal. 10 minutes later, same problem. i had to shim the lanyard kill switch with this :
                  [IMG] istockphoto_118765-soda-can-tab by scharette2009, on Flickr[/IMG]
                  2005 X2

Comment

Originally posted by scharette View Post
                    I was on the water wakeboarding and when i finished my set, my girlfriend stopped the engine. when i got back in the boat, it would not start. it was cranking but not starting. After 5 minutes of checking things, i removed the lanyard and re-installed it again. then it started as normal. 10 minutes later, same problem. i had to shim the lanyard kill switch with this :
                    Ha! Canadian engineering at it's finest!

Comment

Originally posted by nickespi View Post
                      Ha! Canadian engineering at it's finest!
                      That was my second choice. My first was having my girlfriend holding the switch while i do another set
                      2005 X2

Comment

Originally posted by scharette View Post
                        "To beer. The cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems."
                        Homer Simpson

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone...appreciate it. Since I'm being passed on this info from my Dad (who's talking to our mechanic), I may not have all the answers as or now. But here is an update from our mechanic:

- narrowed down to an Electrical issue. The boat engine cranks, but it won't fire up obviously.
                          - there is no fuel getting to the pump, even when the new one was installed.
                          - he tried the port reset button (kill switch) in the engine to no avail.
                          - he's wondering if there is a wiring diagram available for 2003 MC boats. It would help him with a diagnosis.

My Dad has contacted independent boat mechanics as well, since any nearby MC dealerships are booked solid for the next 2 weeks. They all seem to think that a specific MC software is needed to diagnose any electrical issues, etc. So we're kinda stuck in the current situation for 2 weeks unless our boat mechanic can get to the bottom of this.

Hope this info helps...any new suggestions?

Comment

I assume you mean no power to the pump? The kill switch and reset button are 2 different things. By kill switch we are talking about the button by the throttle that the lanyard attaches to. Sometimes the switch goes bad and even if the button is depressed, the connection will not be made, thus resulting in no power to the fuel pump. Its easily checked with a test light by checking the wires on both sides of the switch for power with the key on.

Comment

Check out this thread, has the wiring diagram embedded along with some other suggestions...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=35507
                              2018 XT22 - Current
                              1985 SS - Current

2016 X2 - Sold
                              2008 X2 - Sold
                              2003 197 TT - Sold
                              1993 205 - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X