2007 6.0L Manifold Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 6.0L Manifold Leaks

I'm curious if anybody has seen or heard of this happening to any other 6.0L enignes?

This is on our 2007 197TT Edition boat with the 6.0L Indmar motor. We were skiing the other night and noticed the carpet getting wet around the motor box. Once we opend it up we had two 1/4" diameter geysers out of the left exhaust manifold where there are 1" diameter welded dots on the manifold face. Anybody elese seen this before? What are the 1" diameter dots on the manifolds used for?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	197 Pic 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2425278

Click image for larger version

Name:	197 Pic 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2425279

We ended up patching the holes with JB Weld and it has worked so far. The engine is out of the 3 year warranty at this point.
    Current Boat:
    2007 Prostar 197 TT Edition, LY6 400HP, Mini Tower, Heater, Perfect Pass

Previous Boat:
    1997 Prostar 205, 350tbi, Power Slot, Perfect Pass, New Dimension Tower, Shower, Heater, Clarion Stereo, LED Interior Lighting

Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

that is a freeze plug and it has corroded enough to leak. I was going to recommend JB weld but you already did that. Correct way to repair is to replace all the freeze plugs. They are usually brass and press into the manifold. Was it winterized with antifreeze?
    1993 Blue Stars and Stripes Prostar Powerslot 351HO
    Mastercraft: Face It - If you are not a good skier behind this boat, you are not a good skier.

Comment

There are 5 of those per manifold and one of them is on the high side of the manifold riser. I first thought they were freeze plugs but whith their locations and the amount of them per manifold it didnt make sense. Yes the boat is winterized each fall with antifreeze until we see it come out both sides of the exhaust openings.
      Current Boat:

Previous Boat:
      1997 Prostar 205, 350tbi, Power Slot, Perfect Pass, New Dimension Tower, Shower, Heater, Clarion Stereo, LED Interior Lighting

Comment

I'm thinking those are the casting plugs. Not really a plug, just a hole that gets filled in after the manifold is made. That is a one piece aluminum manifold isn't it?

Comment

yes it is a one piece manifold. We kind were thinking they were some sort of plug from the casting. Thanks for the replies and advice!
          Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

That's bullch!t. Not something that should happen on a 4y/o boat unless it was used in the salt alot and not flushed or something.
            While you're at it, ck those fittings under the manifolds. My 06 has plastic fittings there and they loosened up cuz the pipe dope got hard and were leaking a little this summer.
            '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

I agree...It is a pure fresh water, private lake boat. Each fall the boat has been flushed with antifreeze and verified out the back of each exhaust openining. I will check the plastic fittings next time i'm at the lake.

I was hoping that the motor atleast had a 4 or 5 year warranty and they would warranty the manifolds.
              Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

Nope, 3 years.
                Clearly a defect though, especially if it's been well maintained. There are folks w/ 2000hrs on their boats that haven't sprung leaks in the exh manifolds.
                Any idea how thick that material is where it's leaking and are they freeze plugs or welded shut?
                '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

There's water coming out from two of the plugs? Is the manifold powder coated?
                  -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

The boat is my father inlaws who was a TT memeber since 1969 and decided to retre with his 2007 boat. He takes VERY good care of all his boats and this one is wiped clean every time it hits the water and then returned to the lift. The boat has under 500 hours too. It looks like they are welded shut and about 1/8 thick at most.
                    Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                      There's water coming out from two of the plugs? Is the manifold powder coated?
                      Yes that is water coming out. Yes they are powdercoated black. It is a LY6 6.0L Indmar Motor, 2007
                      Current Boat:

Previous Boat:

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle's_prostar205 View Post
                        Yes that is water coming out. Yes they are powdercoated black. It is a LY6 6.0L Indmar Motor, 2007
                        Is it just one side?

Looks like the best fix is to pull the manifold, grind off the powder coat, spool gun some aluminum in there and either put them back on or get it repowder coated. I'd probably just polish up the weld.

You might also be able to drill and tap the holes and add a brass screw in plug.
                        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

wont that cause a reaction and eventually corrosion? brass on alum?

Either way you'd probably get more than 4 yrs out of the brass plug haha

Comment

Here's a thread that explains the "leaking" plugs...mac

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=casting+plugs
                            2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012

Comment

I had the same issue. A buddy of mine owns a garage and just removed and then welded in new plugs he fabed up.
                              Now I did hear recently that Indmar knows of the issue and if you push them they will send you a new manifold no charge....Not 100% on that though....
                              Last edited by rhsprostar; 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM.
                              sigpic
                              04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
                              Tournament PB 1/4 buoy @ 35 off
                              Previous...
                              96 Prostar 205 Lt1
                              93 Prostar 205 HO
                              81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)

Comment

Working...
                              X