No announcement yet.

The 205v (and original X-star, X-2, X-1) derivatives THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am interested in the lighting idea. Let us know if you find something that looks good/works well.

Comment

• Yeah, it's a little overwhelming. So many products. I found a pretty cool product made by ITC Marine, but they don't sell to consumers, only OEM's and builders. They evidently have a new consumer line coming out next year, but no help now. Superbrightleds.com doesn't really have what I need. They do have kind of a cool 1in round eyelid RGB LED that would work, but that's not going to cover all 3 holes. They're pretty inexpensive, so I might order a couple and just see if I could make it work. Would be really cool if I could actually find a light that press fit into the cups, but that's likely a pink unicorn.
      ¡Viva 205V!
      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Problem solved. Shop's going to just make a custom piece of upholstery that matches up to the new stuff. It will cover it up and look factory.
        ¡Viva 205V!
        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Favor - can anybody with a ~2003 X2 snap a pic of their head unit and glove box? Don't have access to my boat ATM and would like to get a good shot of the detail around the trim of the head unit. Maybe even get a measurement of useable space for a replacement? Looking to see if I can squeeze a new Fusion RA670 or RA770 in there with some modification.

Have you all just stuck with single DIN Clarions and 8-pin to 6-pin adapter cables for your remotes as far as replacements go?

Any help with this is appreciated. TIA
          ¡Viva 205V!
          2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Bruce - I will probably be messing with my boat on Sunday. I could snap a pic then. I replaced my original Clarion with a Kenwood. In mine there was no extra space to put in anything other than a standard single DIN sized unit.

Fusion makes a single DIN sized unit that I have been thinking about, but the remote is that huge square thing that won't fit well with our combing panel or dash.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
              Bruce - I will probably be messing with my boat on Sunday. I could snap a pic then. I replaced my original Clarion with a Kenwood. In mine there was no extra space to put in anything other than a standard single DIN sized unit.

Fusion makes a single DIN sized unit that I have been thinking about, but the remote is that huge square thing that won't fit well with our combing panel or dash.
              Thanks LD. If you don't mind taking a closer look, I'd appreciate it. Pretty sure the width is there, but I just can't remember if there's any extra space below that could be utilized. I don't think you need much more than an extra ~1.3in on the height. This is from the RA770 specs:

mounting depth: 3-15/16"
              cutout: 6.435"W x 1.955"H
              nose width: 7.405"
              nose height: 3.235"

M475 specs (which I'm sure are close to all the other comparable single-DIN options out there:

W 7" x H 2" x D 7-10/13"

I've looked at the RA70N as well. No DSP or WiFi/Airplay though, but it is a single DIN. By the way the ARX round wireless remotes could take the place of the Clarions at the helm and the transom and are compatible with the RA70N from what I've read. You can pair up to four I believe. They are 2.5" wide and 3/8in thick, so should fit well in both helm and transom locations. Only bummer is they won't power on/off the source unit and you don't have zone control. They run off a large CR2032 battery that's supposed to last at least a year. Wish there were more options for us. My setup is working fine, but the M475 is getting up there in age and I'd like to find a solid solution given all the other work I'm doing.
              ¡Viva 205V!
              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                Thanks LD. If you don't mind taking a closer look, I'd appreciate it. Pretty sure the width is there, but I just can't remember if there's any extra space below that could be utilized. I don't think you need much more than an extra ~1.3in on the height.
                Might need an a-dapter kit
                2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

• I really want to know the resolution to this because I'm resigned to getting the DIN sized unit, probably the Fusion. If there are more options that would be a game changer.
                  2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

• Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
                    Might need an a-dapter kit
                    My previous owner butchered my glove box, so I made a blank off plate with some ABS plastic sheet and made a new hole.

This is the Fusion that I would go with. https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...units/ms-ra70n

It has their Fusion-Link app remote control which allows for zone control via your phone.

Comment

This is the Fusion that I would go with. https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...units/ms-ra70n
                      I was looking at either that one or the RA70NSX unit. Just wondering if the higher end touch screen models would fit.
                      2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

My previous owner butchered my glove box, so I made a blank off plate with some ABS plastic sheet and made a new hole.

It has their Fusion-Link app remote control which allows for zone control via your phone.
                        I just put one of those in my 94 and have the wired remote to install some time this winter.

I used this single DIN adaptor for the install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Z6VWHL
                        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                          I just put one of those in my 94 and have the wired remote to install some time this winter.

I used this single DIN adaptor for the install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Z6VWHL
                          Why the wired remote instead one of the wireless ones ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                          2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

I was looking at either that one or the RA70NSX unit. Just wondering if the higher end touch screen models would fit.
                            I have that unit. Works great. There is an app to control it. My buddy has a commercial account at West Marine and got it for $185.00

Comment

Why the wired remote instead one of the wireless ones ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                              In the past, I've had terrible luck with wireless remotes in boats. If I need wireless I just use the fusion app.
                              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                                In the past, I've had terrible luck with wireless remotes in boats. If I need wireless I just use the fusion app.
                                Any pics of the install? I've read the RA70 is a little narrow (width) versus a traditional source unit and that the DIN cage is a must. I'm more curious though about how it trimmed out for you given the fact it's slightly smaller. If I go that route, I want it to be super clean, not see any screw holes, etc. Could be an option if I keep the WS420 and go the wireless remote route. Can you turn on and off the RA70 with the iPhone app?

Sure wish they had a single DIN unit that had WiFi/Airplay and DSP. I get that they're marketing more to the salt with NMEA and all where form factor is often less of a concern, but seems like they'd have a home run for those upgrading existing systems. I guess they're content keeping those features for their flagship RA770 and I'm guessing there may be licensing issues at play too.
                                ¡Viva 205V!
                                2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Working...
                                X