Advice on Pontoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jewbacca View Post
    Ok, I'm gonna be that guy. What is the appeal for a pontoon boat? I have never once felt the desire to be on one.
    Man you are way off on that one.

Today's pontoons are nothing like the 20 horsepower pond putter your uncle had in the 1970s.

Other than how much they cost I would almost recommend most people buy a big high horsepower pontoon to a ski boat.

On the lake I pull as many new skiers behind the pontoon as the ski boat!

Comment

Ok, I'm gonna be that guy. What is the appeal for a pontoon boat? I have never once felt the desire to be on one.
      I felt that way for 15 years too. We bought a Bennington earlier this year and love it. We bought it because it's better than our x-30 in choppy water, has more room to move to around, more comfortable and less chopped up for larger groups on sunset cruises, keeps the dogs off my MC seats, and I just wanted to buy another boat.

Comment

• Ok, sell me on it. It's a floating platform. Only thing it does well is host parties. For any watersports activities, a ski/wake boat will absolutely blow it out of the water in performance and versatility. You mention new skiiers. Is anybody but noobs gonna want to ski behind one compared to a PS190?

There are some limited cases I can see the appeal. Very limited.

Comment

• Well, this would be fun. Somebody, hold my beer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlUMjWTeN78
          sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

• Originally posted by etduc View Post
            Well, this would be fun. Somebody, hold my beer!

hahaha... that's just awesome!

Comment

• You spelled it wrong.

Its a poontoon. Now you get the appeal? lol

I want one one day. It will be a double decker with a slide and a rockwall.

Darryl Lix - Poontoonin' (Official Music Video)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNiaYARLen8
              Last edited by Roman; 08-27-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman View Post
                Isn't that called a houseboat?

Lol

Comment

Ok, sell me on it. It's a floating platform. Only thing it does well is host parties. For any watersports activities, a ski/wake boat will absolutely blow it out of the water in performance and versatility. You mention new skiers. Is anybody but noobs gonna want to ski behind one compared to a PS190?

There are some limited cases I can see the appeal. Very limited.
                  OK sell you on it.

I have 4 boats in the fleet, two are prostar 190s, one is a 19' I/O bowrider, and one is a 115hp pontoon. The I/O hasn't been launched in several years. The Pontoon gets more hours a summer than all the other boats. If you have one it is a party, it is a large mobile dock, it is easy to get people on and off, and it can handle the big waves of a large lake when the boats get out there. And mind you this is an older slower pontoon. They only get better and more purposeful the more people you add on.

Onto watersports;

My brother a former college ski team captain, a course skier, obviously he prefers as do I to grip it and rip it behind a ski boat on a ski course on a calm day, but that's not every day. And our lake gets too rough to take a prostar out let alone drive a few miles to find good water and ski. And now with all the wake boats there are just times of day you cannot even sit in them comfortably when the lake is busy. This NEVER happens on the pontoon.

Pontoon wake crossings? What wake crossing??? Is it going to be easier to coach getting this arm straight behind a pontoon or a prostar (note same gal just skied with Wade Cox on a private lake the week before behind a 2021 prostar and is having a BALL) behind the pontoon. This is on a 67" ho hovercraft at about 15 mph. She normally skis 32 mph on a 66" Radar. Her wake crossings are improving more doing this than they do having private lessons on a ski lake. As do most everyone's when you can actually work with them with not wakes. You can even yell at them with ease.

I like nothing more than my ski boat, but if I had to sell all my boats and own just one boat for the same money, it would almost have to be a tritoon with a nice engine, if it can go 30+ I can ride my tournament ski behind it and would do so.

Would I still go try to ski events (heck ya) Would I ski behind ski boats - for sure.

But if you live on a lake that can get rough a pontoon does it all and a ski boat does relatively little.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Our new neighbor wakeboards behind his pontoon. Well, he stands on his wakeboard behind his pontoon.

An old friend of mine (RIP) took me for a ride on his pontoon so that several of us could eat lunch at the marina. As we were cruising down the lake at 15 mph he turned to me and said "You see all of this beautiful scenery that you miss when you are flying down the lake in your ski boat?" Me: "I could be eating lunch already"
                    “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman View Post
                      You spelled it wrong.

Darryl Lix - Poontoonin' (Official Music Video)
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNiaYARLen8
                      Doesn't that attract male boat skanks? Sorry.
                      “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

• I will accept I do no wake sports.

So I do not surf or wakeboard. Have, get that its some peoples jam. But I think a fleet of boats needs a pontoon.

But I will say I think you could teach wakeboarding extremely well behind a pontoon and only once someone had edging down move to wakes and they would probably progress faster than starting out behind a boat with wakes.

Everyone from the top to the bottom of sports wants people to learn to edge properly be it slalom tricks jump or wake sports.

And when I have 3 people in the ski boat and the kids mom needs to sit out because I cannot fit her and a few spare kids to watch their sibling... people are sad. Know when that doesn't happen? behind a pontoon!

Comment

• If you like to happy hour or just float and read a book you would like a poontoon. We have a 25’ with a 250 hp, much better gas mileage, keeps the hours down on the Mastercraft and as others have mentioned the smooth ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post
                            Me: "I could be eating lunch already"
                            You get 100% of that time back and more when you tie up your pontoon using 2 bungie ropes and no fenders and are walking away before you've even gotten the fenders out and managed to somehow secure them and then strung lines and spring lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by etduc View Post
                              Well, this would be fun. Somebody, hold my beer!

Here's a more civilized version of that boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HjRE9PEQck

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                              OK sell you on it.

I have 4 boats in the fleet, two are prostar 190s, one is a 19' I/O bowrider, and one is a 115hp pontoon. The I/O hasn't been launched in several years. The Pontoon gets more hours a summer than all the other boats....
                              Just an XStar and pontoon in my fleet, but I also use the pontoon a lot more. The XStar only gets used for towing someone. If we are cruising or going to the sandbar, it's always on the much more comfy and roomy pontoon.

Comment

• Hey I appreciate the thoughtful reply, PS190. It doesn't sell me on it, but I get your thought process.

Although I can't say I've ever been on rough enough water in a ski boat that it was uncomfortable.

Scratch that... we used to take my dad's 16' Bayliner over the Columbia River bar. THAT is a hell of a trip.

For me a pontoon would is still way down the list of wants. I wakeboard and slalom in about a 95:5 ratio, and a lot of people I take out want to surf. So versatility of the boat in wake sports is huge for me.

Wake boat>aluminum fishing/duck hunting boat>ocean fishing boat>>>>>pontoon. The only way a pontoon would ever enter my life is if I was going for a faux house boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X