Would like input on next boat choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like input on next boat choice

Hi, just joined the forum and would appreciate any input.

We currently have a 2005 Tige 24V that we bought new. Everything we do is recreational: slalom ski, wakeboard and surf. Our boat does not have ballast, but does have the adjustable TAPS2 system. This is our only boat, so we also use it for tubing, cruising, etc. We have been fundamentally happy with its performance and love the seating layout and storage space.

We want better wake shaping options with an automated ballast system and really like the quality and looks of the new X30s. We have seen one at the dealer and like the layout which seems as big as the 24V even though it is slightly shorter. Haven't had a chance to demo one yet.

We have a place at Lake Ozarks so we need a boat that can handle rough water at times which the 24V handles pretty well. We are located in an area that is not nearly as busy as some of the other crazy areas, but we do need a boat that can handle water that gets chopped up on the weekend.

Would the X30 fit our needs? It seems set up more for wakeboarding and surfing. Does it have a wake that can be flattened for recreational slalom skiing? Any thoughts on the engine choice - I'm thinking the 6.0L? Any other advice or information on the X30 or other models would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Go to youtube and search 2014 Mastercraft. There are some vids on there that show the slalom "wake" or lack of wake or whatever you skiers call it. The 6.0 liter will be fine ( so everyone on here pretty much says). Good luck and buy Mastercraft!!!!

Comment

The ski part is the tough one... generally speaking the better the wakeboard and surf wakes, the worse the ski wake. There isn't a boat made that is great at all three (good at all three, maybe... great - no).

X-30 is a great boat. I'd look at the X-25 too, also the X-10 and X-2. If you can go used, I'd throw the X-15 (2012 was the last model year). Compared to the X-30 you asked about (which is an awesome boat... not trying to talk you out of it, just give you options):

X-25 is very comparable yet different than the X-30. Pickle fork vs traditional bow. A touch better in rough water. Much worse for skiing (maybe only the X-star would be worse for skiing in MCs current lineup?). Roughly similar in price for the same model year, but you could hit a price point $10-15K lower by getting a 2010 or 2011 X-25 versus the cheapest new-hulled X-30 being a 2012.

X-2 is a great all round boat, but will be noticeably smaller than the X-30. Easier to trailer and store, but less seating and storage.

X-15 - sacrifices a little bit of the wakeboard and surf wake vs the X-30 (still more than adequate), but a little better ski boat (still not slalom class, but good enough to be fun). Handles rough water similar to the X-30 (just a shade worse than the X-25).

X-10 - haven't seen one yet, so I'll stay quiet rather than repeat rumors. Would be shocked if its not a great boat.

There is a great thread on this board a couple months ago about X-30 vs X-25 that you should read. It had a pretty open minded discussion about the tradeoffs between the boats. Spoiler alert: people like them both.

For all of these boats you could go with the 5.7L engine. The 6.0 or 6.2 would be more fun for sure, but also more expensive. I wouldn't consider the bigger engines "mandatory" unless you routinely weight the snot out of your boat or if you boat at high altitude. My X-25 does more than fine with the 5.7 and 1500ft elevation... not sure that would be the case if I were in Denver. I've heard the same thing about the 5.7 from people with the X-30. Again - not saying more power wouldn't be more exciting, but it isn't critical for most people.

Comment

Hi and welcome! What percentage of the time do you ski? Wakeboard? Surf? Cruise?
        As said, it's hard to get a boat that does everything great but with a trim tab and surf tabs I would lean toward the X-30 or better yet the new X-46. I know if I were on a large body of water like LOTO I'd consider the X-46 for sure. Price-wise I think the X-30 will give you the most boat for the $$. Rough water ride should be fine since it a V-bottom. I find with most boats if you fill the front ballast 1/2 it helps with the ride.

Good luck with your search!
        I was njskier on here.

Comment

I doubt any MC mentioned above is going to have a worse ski wake than a 24v. He did say recreation, not running the course at 35 off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure you get the attitude plate option. It will help improve the wake for slalom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2013 x-10 so any questions you have feel free to ask. I do all, foot, slalom, surf, wakeboard and this is a good all around boat. As noted above you NEED to have the attitude plate to dial in the wake. Slalom at 34mph with plate at 50% is the best wake you can get on a "wake" boat, not a prostar wake by any means but it is flat enough to slice through. Loaded it will give you the wakeboard/surf wake you need.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I really like to get input from actual MC owners to get some real world insight.

Sounds like the attitude plate is a must for adjustability. How about the surf tabs?

My wife and I are in our mid 50s and still slalom ski. I do some wakeboarding and have tried surfing but haven't got the feel of the push yet. We have 3 daughters that do all 3 activities pretty well and we have a new wave of riders coming up with 4 grandchildren. We love teaching new riders and can't wait until our grandkids are old enough.

I think we need the space of the X30 or X46. We have been in the X46 and it is really cool. I guess we (more my wife than I) are a bit traditional as we like the 'normal' bow of the X30 and sunpad. I probably could be talked into the X46.

Comment

Why not a MasterBoat Wake Star from Brazil? C'mon, be unique!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brentrr View Post
                    Thanks for the replies. I really like to get input from actual MC owners to get some real world insight.

Sounds like the attitude plate is a must for adjustability. How about the surf tabs?

My wife and I are in our mid 50s and still slalom ski. I do some wakeboarding and have tried surfing but haven't got the feel of the push yet. We have 3 daughters that do all 3 activities pretty well and we have a new wave of riders coming up with 4 grandchildren. We love teaching new riders and can't wait until our grandkids are old enough.

I think we need the space of the X30 or X46. We have been in the X46 and it is really cool. I guess we (more my wife than I) are a bit traditional as we like the 'normal' bow of the X30 and sunpad. I probably could be talked into the X46.
                    I didn't get the surf tabs on mine. Boat is small enough you can get it to list to one side for surfing without any issues. Now if you go with the x-46 Or surf both sides I would recommend, she is a big boat and you will need the assistance these provide to get you that surf wake.

Comment

I have over 200 hours on the new X-30 Hull and it is a great boat. First off it handles excellent. People notice that right away. The Ski wake is actually decent because at higher speeds the wake really mellows out. The surf wave and Wakeboard wake are both top notch, but more weight is required for the "Pro levels" lol. The wakes stay clean at low speeds so this is a great boat for beginners to advanced wakeboarders. The reversible seat is a must have option too. Here are some pics of the wake and wave when heavily weighted. I don't ski often so I don't have many pics of that. This ski photo, we had a boat full of people and 400 lbs of lead in the boat and were going about 25.
                      Attached Files
                      2013 X-30, 6.0L with 2500lbs of ballast and 500 lbs of lead.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures. Great information and definitely looks like the X30 is a great, versatile boat. I really like the color scheme of yours. Looks like you get to boat in some beautiful areas.

Comment

Thanks Brentrr. It has been a great boat for us. Very good for family's too. I think you would really enjoy a test drive on one.

FYI I have had the 5.7 and the 6.0 and both do fine with this hull. Prop is very important with extra weight.
                          Attached Files
                          2013 X-30, 6.0L with 2500lbs of ballast and 500 lbs of lead.
                          sigpic

Comment

I couldn't tell for sure in your profile picture if your boat had some orange - really sharp. Our 24V has an orange hull with white deck and we still really like it after 9 years. How is the black for showing water spots? We wipe ours down on the lift after every run which makes a huge difference.

Comment

option not yet mentioned: x14v

x14v. Hard to scale the aforementioned boats towards skiing without a fairly aggressive table. This is a 214 Prostar hull with v-drive. IMO this bot scales well between skiing and wake boarding. I regularly ski 34 / 35. IT is a great wakeboard boat (with ballast). Where you loose it is surfing. There are many on this forum that have found ways to ballast and deliver a great surfing wake; however, I am not certain this has been done w/o swim deck mods. I have not had great luck surfing w/o rope--IMO the swim deck interrupts the curl / sweet spot too much once you get loaded.

My view is that MC makes a few boats that effectively scale between skiing and wake boarding (mine and prostar). Nothing truly in the mix that will reach skiing and surfing. Plenty of options that range nicely between wake boarding and surfing.

I hope that helps. Happy to answer x14v questions anytime.

BTW--we are very happy with this option for my family (please note, we ski 95% of the time, cruise the rest).

best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X