No announcement yet.

Gas can suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's y'all's thoughts on offroad use only premium gas? I found out I can have it delivered to my house for about $20 a gallon cheaper than the pump. I've got about a 500 gallon stainless tank I could just put a pump on and go if that's a viable option..

Comment

• Not sure I follow the $20/gallon cheaper part.

Comment

• $0.20 a gallon.... Typing on my phone while walking...

Comment

• Questions - How much fuel do you use? A 500 gal delivery would likely last longer than the 45 day octane stability so conditioner would be required. (I treat all my fuel so that point is a wash personally)
          Would fueling from the tank be beneficial in any other way?

If the tank is not specifically fuel rated, the delivery company may take issue dispensing into it.

Most states you can file for a tax refund for fuel used off road (boat in this case) and only pay sales tax, thus you can get close to the same savings without the bulk purchase.
          What are your state's tax rates?

I had a COOP client that did bulk delivery, we considered getting a couple cruiser/hb friends together for a bulk purchase once a month vs the marina premium price, never could get all parties involved to agree.

Personally, unless the delivery makes boat refueling significantly easier, Keeping and turning in receipts is not hard.
          1991 MariStar 240sc, 454, tower, WetSounds, Krypt and Rockford Fosgate

Comment

• Well it's not that I can't take the boat to the fuel station and fill up then save my receipts,(which is probably what I'll do) I'm just throwing ideas out there to make my life easier

There's just no good fuel stations between my house and the lake. I'm guessing on burning around 50 gallons a weekend but I'm not sure since this will be my first summer with a bigger boat. I would burn about 20-25 on an average weekend with my prostar, so I figure 2x that per weekend in the x star, but I have no idea.

Comment

• I finally bought me a set of 4 VP jugs that I found on Ebay. My only complaint is that it is easy for gas to run out of the vent. There is a fine point of tipping the jug too high while pouring.

I also got one of the shaker siphons off Amazon. That thing is great. 5 or 6 shakes and it is flowing a full stream. Can't believe I had never heard of one of those before now.
              We defy the mafia!

Comment

• Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
                I finally bought me a set of 4 VP jugs that I found on Ebay. My only complaint is that it is easy for gas to run out of the vent. There is a fine point of tipping the jug too high while pouring.

I also got one of the shaker siphons off Amazon. That thing is great. 5 or 6 shakes and it is flowing a full stream. Can't believe I had never heard of one of those before now.
                I was thinking the same thing about the vent on those jugs but then I saw this on their website. Try the power spout on the top of the page. That should take care of it.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/fuel-handling

Comment

• Originally posted by jbkriss View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing about the vent on those jugs but then I saw this on their website. Try the power spout on the top of the page. That should take care of it.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/fuel-handling
                  It says that hose is for the VP fuel pails that they sell their racing fuels in, not the motorsports jugs we buy.
                  '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

• I've messed around a few times to see what works. If you want to get a quick pour, toss a blow gun on the compressor with a rubber tip. Put the spout in the boat and pressurize the gas can through the vent with the blow gun. You can get 5 gallons in less than 20 seconds at about 40psi. LOL!!
                    -Cameron
                    2007 ProStar 197
                    1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• How do you remove the red center in the VP fuel can to screw in the hose.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure a large ratchet will fit it. I'm going to go check now

Originally posted by lopott View Post
                        How do you remove the red center in the VP fuel can to screw in the hose.
                        86' 19 Skier, 351 PCM (sold)
                        2008 197 ProStar, LY6 (sold)

Comment

• Exactly, just did it. My ratchet (with out socket obviously) fits right in to the star pattern.

Originally posted by Covi View Post
                          I'm pretty sure a large ratchet will fit it. I'm going to go check now
                          86' 19 Skier, 351 PCM (sold)
                          2008 197 ProStar, LY6 (sold)

Comment

• Thanks will do was about to destroy the cap

Comment

• Try the Jerry Cans......they work great and have a flexible hose with an air control knob for the flow......wide opening for filling too. You can google them or go to a motorcycle dealership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• I just bought 4 VP cans on ebay and a Scribner filler hose with shut off for $112:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190896393438...S:1120&vxp=mtr

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=251505805895

I chose white so I can see fuel level in can. I can't stand the new cans.

I plan to build a stand and will extend the tube for easy filling.
                                -Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X