What Mastercraft is for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j.robinson389 View Post
    Thanks. I hope to find one with a tower already installed, but that isnt a deal breaker. Hopefully I can get my rzr sold soon and pick one up this year--if not, its going to be next year before I pull the trigger on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff d View Post
      Ummm... Don't you own a MariStar 215 + a tower + ballast system + x series graphics?
      You are right, I also own a MariStar. I should have clarified the older models that are in his price range (~ 20k). I think 06 was the first year of the new hull, correct? My inlaws have a 2004 (old hull).

Comment

The 205v is the quintessential wakeboard hull. It would also probably ski a little better than the MariStar hulls. That flat bottom won't handle rough water as well though. If you're in a large lake where storms tend to kick up this might be a little bit of an issue.

The Maristar hulls of that generation have more depth to them and should handle rough water better (Although still not what most would consider a "rough water" boat). They're more of a hybrid between the hull you'd typically see on an I/O runabout and a competition inboard hull. The 210/225/230/X-30 are more of a U shaped bottom than a V though. If surfing is your game I'd think a Maristar hull would do a bit better than a comparably weighted 205V.

Unless you're a borderline pro I'd be a lot more concerned with the condition and price of the boats than picking a particular hull and trying to buy that particular boat while ignoring others. The Maristar 210/225/230 all throw perfectly acceptable wakeboard wakes with ballast and can be had within your budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff d View Post
          The 205v is the quintessential wakeboard hull. It would also probably ski a little better than the MariStar hulls. That flat bottom won't handle rough water as well though. If you're in a large lake where storms tend to kick up this might be a little bit of an issue.

The Maristar hulls of that generation have more depth to them and should handle rough water better (Although still not what most would consider a "rough water" boat). They're more of a hybrid between the hull you'd typically see on an I/O runabout and a competition inboard hull. The 210/225/230/X-30 are more of a U shaped bottom than a V though. If surfing is your game I'd think a Maristar hull would do a bit better than a comparably weighted 205V.

Unless you're a borderline pro I'd be a lot more concerned with the condition and price of the boats than picking a particular hull and trying to buy that particular boat while ignoring others. The Maristar 210/225/230 all throw perfectly acceptable wakeboard wakes with ballast and can be had within your budget.
          Thanks. Majority of boating will be done on Lake Martin, Alabama. And I would imagine either of them would be an improvement in rougher water than my 17.5' boat was. Either way, I've never really had a problem with rough water.

Comment

I didn't read your post, but a 96 205 would be perfect for you.

/Just kidding. I did read your post, and a 96 205 would be perfect. Of course, if you can find a 205V in your price range, that'd be even better considering your wants. But the regular 2nd Gen 205 will do it all fine with only a slight difference in seating arrangement.
            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier View Post
              I didn't read your post, but a 96 205 would be perfect for you.

/Just kidding. I did read your post, and a 96 205 would be perfect. Of course, if you can find a 205V in your price range, that'd be even better considering your wants. But the regular 2nd Gen 205 will do it all fine with only a slight difference in seating arrangement.
              ^^^^ when a guy with 25000 + post speaks
              Listen. Lol
              sigpic
              2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
              2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
              2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
              2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
              2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
              2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
              2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
              2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
              2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

I used to ski behind a '97 Maristar 200 and then behind an early 2000's 205V.

To me it is pretty much a toss up as far as skiing. The Maristar's wake was probably actually smaller, however a bit harder. The hull has a pretty good V near the front yet is flatter near the back of the hull than the 205V.

They were pretty similar for wakeboarding as well. The Maristar had a nice rounded wake vs. the 205's a little steeper (can probably tweak with fat sac locations).

On thing I did notice is the Maristar is not very good for tracking if you ever plan on skiing through a slalom course. The skier can really pull the boat side to side because the hull is so flat in places. One positive is that the boat can take tight corners because the back end slides while turning.

I'd let looks, prices, and shape make the determination rather than worrying about how they will ski. I'd get something with the motor in the middle if skiiability is truly an important factor (slalom at least).

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier View Post
                  a 96 205 would be perfect for you.
                  The 96 onward 205 was the dogs danglies when it came out and still a sought after boat, not tried the 205V so can't comment but the 205 DD with tower and no ballast will give a nice beginner wake for boarding and as long as the tower doesn't interfere with the normal ski pole is perfectly acceptable for slalom with a reasonably small wake (its not a 190!), then you can sac it out (it loves a bit of weight up front as well as at the back and down the sides) and get a really nice wake for boarding, the 96 205 DD is the Gen 1 X-Star with different graphics but just didn't come with a tower as standard.

Also, It's small enough to store in a large garage, launch on pretty much any ramp etc but big enough to have a few people on board with kit and not be tripping over on everything

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

Comment

How much are you looking to get for the rzr? Wouldn't be a bad idea to give use the specs/pics so we could pass the word.

Comment

Or add a toy to our own garage!!

Comment

Originally posted by sseager View Post
                          How much are you looking to get for the rzr? Wouldn't be a bad idea to give use the specs/pics so we could pass the word.
                          I'm pretty sure he's talking about a Polaris RZR, not a Tige RZR. As in this:

Comment

I figured he was talking about a Polaris rzr and it would look nice sitting next to my X2 in the garage.

Comment

Here it is. There is so much money in this thing, it makes me sick.

Comment

Wow!! Very impressive!!

I'm looking for one more on the stock side for trail riding and hunting.

GLWS

Comment

Working...
                                X