1998 LT-1 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 LT-1 Question

I am considering purchasing a 1998 PS 190 with the LT-1 engine. TMC member Ben was gracious enought to take time out of his schedule to look at the boat for me considering I am 10 hours from the boat. He reported back that the boat is in good condition, however he noticed the impeller housing vibrating and shaking when the dealer started the boat for him. As the boat was throttled up the vibration seemed to stop. I never noticed this on my old boat and was wondering if this is normal or if there is something wrong. Is there a chance that the shaft that spins the impeller is bent and if so, how would this happen? My other thought is that the impeller is bad(cheap fix). I just don't want to drive 20 hours round trip to buy a boat that has major engine problems. Any input would be appreciated. I have a small video clip that Ben took that I could email if you would like to see what I am talking about. Thanks in advance
    Always Happy.......Never Satisfied

2021 X24

41 Mastercrafts and counting

My 99 does that. The pump housing has a bit of a wobble to it at idle but goes away with some revs. I don't think it's a big deal.

Comment

there is a bracket that bolts up from the pump to the block which holds the pump firmly in place and prevents rotation.
      Could be loose?

Comment

Or broken?
        "You do realize that a nutless monkey could do your job"

Les Grossman

Comment

I would definetly ask for a compression test and a Tech 1 data sheet from cold idle all the way up to top end, this will also tell you the actuall engine hours.Impellor housing does have a normal wobble at idle,but verify no leaks, and check the support bracket.If possible call the previous owner for service info. Ask if there have been any overheating issues,if so check the the steam kit lines have been moved to the front of the heads.

Comment

I got a 1997 Prostar 205 and at idle mine does vibrate a little bit. I have never had an issue with it and I change my impeller each year due to the climate and cold winters here in Colorado. Good luck!!

1997 Prostar 205, 351 TBI, Perfest Pass, Zero Flex Tower
            Current Boat:
            2007 Prostar 197 TT Edition, LY6 400HP, Mini Tower, Heater, Perfect Pass

Previous Boat:
            1997 Prostar 205, 350tbi, Power Slot, Perfect Pass, New Dimension Tower, Shower, Heater, Clarion Stereo, LED Interior Lighting

Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Thanks for all of the input guys. It doesn't sound like a major deal then.

2021 X24

Comment

Originally posted by Datdude
                Thanks for all of the input guys. It doesn't sound like a major deal then.
                Legend has a good idea!

My 00 LTR pump wobbled a bit. Silly, I thought, but it never failed on my over 300hrs.
                Originally posted by TX.X-30 fan
                Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

Comment

Originally posted by planoboy
                  there is a bracket that bolts up from the pump to the block which holds the pump firmly in place and prevents rotation.
                  Could be loose?
                  My TBI's pump wobbles a little bit at idle too.
                  I always thought that this was caused by this bracket picking up a little bit of engine vibration and trasfering it to the pump body.

Comment

Originally posted by the legend
                    I would definetly ask for a compression test and a Tech 1 data sheet from cold idle all the way up to top end, this will also tell you the actuall engine hours.Impellor housing does have a normal wobble at idle,but verify no leaks, and check the support bracket.If possible call the previous owner for service info. Ask if there have been any overheating issues,if so check the the steam kit lines have been moved to the front of the heads.

I don't think the seller of the boat is equipped to do either of those tests. Would a MC dealer be able to do the Tech 1? I have never heard of that before. The boat only has 236 hours on it and is in very good condition so one might guess it has been cared for??? Who knows?? My main concern was the wobble in the impeller housing.

2021 X24

Comment

How about some pics of the boat?
                      sigpicwww.boathouseh2o.com

Comment

Originally posted by erkoehler
                        How about some pics of the boat?
                        I will post some when I get it....if I get it

2021 X24

Comment

Originally posted by planoboy
                          Could be loose?
                          Bracket is tight. Housing is secure while engine is off. I tried wedging my foot against the housing while the eng. was at idle & it doesn't stop the "wobble".

Does anyone know how the impeller housing comes off? Also, the how is the male splined shaft that drives the impeller connected? Is it bolted the alternator pully?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                            .....Does anyone know how the impeller housing comes off? Also, the how is the male splined shaft that drives the impeller connected? Is it bolted the alternator pully?
                            Just by looking at mine, I have to say - the housing is connected to the block by 2 bolts. The impeller is bolted to the crank pully (edit... I think it's actually the water pump pully - my memory is failing me). Or - at least it is on my '95 TBI (non-LT1)
                            If one day you're asked:
                            " How did you spend your time here on Earth?"
                            Will you say:
                            "I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
                            It's time to SKI.

Comment

Originally posted by the legend
                              Ask if there have been any overheating issues,if so check the the steam kit lines have been moved to the front of the heads.
                              Legend...can you detail what you mean by this? Where were they? What do they look like? What is involved in moving them ? From Where to where?

Any further description (pictures?) would be appreciated. Maybe Enginenut or Jimn have some idea ?

Jordan
                              Last edited by Jorski; 11-04-2005, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X