Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new (to me) 2000 XStar barn find! - Transmission whine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new (to me) 2000 XStar barn find! - Transmission whine?

Well, after some searching, including missing a buy on this forum, I found a 2000 XStar local to me and picked it up! I'm really stoked about this, my first VDrive MasterCraft. After 2, 205's and a 190.

So here are the details:
    Boat had been in storage in a barn for about 3 years. Picked up the boat for $17.5k on the condition the boat was inspected and seller would take care of any major issues. Although I would take care of some rough upholstery, and a pretty dirty boat having been left in a barn for a few years.

Had the boat inspected; compressions are between 175 and 180 lbs on all cylinders. Has a few nice options including the 330 HP Northstar Ignition engine, factory depth finder, shower, heater, dual batteries and a light bar on the tower. I did not see any signs of stress cracks on the tower.

Tech. stated boat ran well, but they did not have a place to run it in the water. Tech. found a bad steering cable, and leaking heater core and bad ballast bag and pump which seller agreed to have repaired. Technician indicated less than 350 hours total which hour meter tallied with. With that low of hours and the seller agreeing to make repairs noted, I pulled the trigger and bought it.

I thought this was a great deal, and was willing to spend the money on the upholstery, detailing, some repairs to the trailer brakes, and some other misc, and the seller was happy to have it sold after not getting much interest for several weeks.

However after being in the shop for repairs for a week, I just got it in the water today. Yep I bought the boat without an on the water test. No need to lecture me on that mistake, I was excited to find a local boat with low hours in my price range.

Well I test ran it today, and all was fine with the exception of a high pitch whine from I think the transmission at certain RPM's. My question is, is this something I should worry about, or is this normal? If it's not normal, anyone know how to resolve this or what it might be? I'm hoping it's just an old shaft seal or something relatively simple. Here is a video and you can hear the whine kick in at around 45 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQFevlojmk

Any ideas on the whine would be appreciated.

I am going to change the tranny fluid and engine oil tomorrow. Although both the fluid and oil looked good at the proper levels. I think I will try to use the 15W40 oil update instead of Dexron III in the tranny as well. Although most of the tranny noise complaints for the 15W40 fix is at low RPM's and the whine on my boat is occuring at mid to higher RPM ranges.

Thanks! I am looking forward to giving this boat some TLC, and building some nice memories.

So here it is while in for the repair work:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikelleen; 09-07-2014, 03:57 AM.

75-80 sounds really low for compression. You sure the compression test was done properly?

Not sure about the noise. Hard to tell if its more a whistle or a squealing. My first thought was a raw water impeller thats on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Retoxtony View Post
      75-80 sounds really low for compression. You sure the compression test was done properly?

Not sure about the noise. Hard to tell if its more a whistle or a squealing. My first thought was a raw water impeller thats on the way out.
      Hmm, OK, the tech stated the compression was good at those figures. What should I be seeing? I can recheck the compression myself tomorrow.

I'm picking up a new impeller on Monday.

Comment

I just saw these threads:
        http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=25684

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=19814

Couple of guys stated the whine went away with changing to 15W40 motor oil so that is my next step.
        Last edited by mikelleen; 09-07-2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelleen View Post
          Hmm, OK, the tech stated the compression was good at those figures. What should I be seeing? I can recheck the compression myself tomorrow.

I'm picking up a new impeller on Monday.

An indmar LTR is just a GM 350 so i'd expect to see 150 for sure on a compression test. Its just weird that all the cylinders would test that low, especially if it runs good. Thats why i was wondering if it was maybe done wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Retoxtony View Post
            An indmar LTR is just a GM 350 so i'd expect to see 150 for sure on a compression test. Its just weird that all the cylinders would test that low, especially if it runs good. Thats why i was wondering if it was maybe done wrong.
            You're right, I mis-read the inspection report. Compression was 175 to 180, not 75 to 80 as I originally posted.

Thanks!

Original post edited for clarity.

Comment

The transmission whine sounds pretty much the same as my boat, I wouldn't be concerned.

I have the low rpm ball bearing noise, however haven't changed the oil over to 15/40 yet, a winter layup job.

Comment

nice find -
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                  nice find -
                  That's what I was thinking.

Comment

See how hard the prop is to turn out of the water - if it's really hard with one hand, or takes two hands, you likely need to do an engine/propshaft alignment. It's an afternoon's work, but if it needs to be done it can create a whine.

Also, look at the prop - if it has any dings, they can "sing" when you're cruising along and sound like a whine.

/frank
                    1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

With any boat that has been parked for a while, you need to be patient. Check and change fluids and keep an eye on them. Make sure they aren't getting milky or changing color too quickly. Fresh gas, fresh oil, fresh tranny fluid. Give it the old tune up and enjoy the boat! Nice find, that is a pretty versatile hull.
                      1989 Tristar 190 - Indmar 351, 250HP, 1:1, 580 hours

Comment

The prop strut bushes can be a little stiff on these boats so make sure the bushes are wet before you try to spin the prop. My prop is hard to turn when dry but when it comes out the water it spins freely.

And yes, nice find!!

Comment

Thanks all. Thought it was a nice find. Less than 360 hours on a 14 year old boat is rare and the hull I wanted as an old salalom skier willing to learn some new tricks (wakeboarding).

Plus this should be versatile enough to get my grand kids started into whatever interests them on the water.

Just turned the prop by hand. Initially stiff but it was dry. Loosened up after a half turn so I think it is OK. Found a receipt where the previous owner had a tranny seal leak and had it repaired as well as a shaft alignment about 5 years ago.

Considering previous owner had it in a covered barn for 2.5 to 3 years I am wondering about dried seals? Everything in the motor box look to have been closed up and all rubber feels good with no cracking I am thinking about the shaft seal. Would that dry up or am I over thinking?

Going out to do an oil change now. As part of my pre-purchase inspection I did have the tech run the motor and check for milkiness in the oil. None was found and the oil is clean light brown at worst. Not milky or even very dark colored.

Thank for the feedback. Keep it coming I value the information I get on this forum. Will load a couple of more pictures tonight.

Comment

I have a 2006 X1 and with 175 hours and get that whine at certain RPM's as well. never had a performance issue and always wondered about it. For me it is usually in the 1800-2300 range and rarely above or below. I have mine checked and serviced at the dealer every year. Had them check everything a couple of years in a row including the whine. No problems.

Comment

Originally posted by scott023 View Post
                              That's what I was thinking.
                              Originally posted by mccobmd View Post
                              I have a 2006 X1 and with 175 hours and get that whine at certain RPM's as well. never had a performance issue and always wondered about it. For me it is usually in the 1800-2300 range and rarely above or below. I have mine checked and serviced at the dealer every year. Had them check everything a couple of years in a row including the whine. No problems.
                              Cool. Good to know. I am doing the oil update instead of tranny fluid tonight bu will not get to test run until the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X