Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new (to me) 2000 XStar barn find! - Transmission whine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheelerd
    replied
    Sounds like you found yourself a good boat. You'll love the versatility of the hull -- same as my 05 X2.

Leave a comment:

• mikelleen
    replied
    I was thinking that too. When I took the video I quickly put my hand over the spark arrestor to partially block and alter the airflow and it made no difference to the whine.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff d
    replied
    Often the throttle body and/or the spark arrestor can make a high pitched noise at certain RPM. Mine does. Are you sure it's the transmission? On the LTR the air intake is like 16" from the transmission on the front of the engine.

Leave a comment:

• mikelleen
    replied
    Thanks!
    Heading down to Lake Powell for a week. Doing the oil instead of tranny fluid update before heading out so I'll post results when I get back.

Leave a comment:

• brucemac
    replied
    I have a whine within a certain RPM range as well. Mine started after I re-propped about 3 years or so ago. I think mine is around 700-750, just a skosch above idle forward. I just try to avoid that range for better or worse.

Congrats on the new boat! Looks like you scored!

Leave a comment:

• mikelleen
    replied
    Originally posted by scott023 View Post
    That's what I was thinking.
    Originally posted by mccobmd View Post
    I have a 2006 X1 and with 175 hours and get that whine at certain RPM's as well. never had a performance issue and always wondered about it. For me it is usually in the 1800-2300 range and rarely above or below. I have mine checked and serviced at the dealer every year. Had them check everything a couple of years in a row including the whine. No problems.
    Cool. Good to know. I am doing the oil update instead of tranny fluid tonight bu will not get to test run until the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• mccobmd
    replied
    I have a 2006 X1 and with 175 hours and get that whine at certain RPM's as well. never had a performance issue and always wondered about it. For me it is usually in the 1800-2300 range and rarely above or below. I have mine checked and serviced at the dealer every year. Had them check everything a couple of years in a row including the whine. No problems.

Leave a comment:

• mikelleen
    replied
    Thanks all. Thought it was a nice find. Less than 360 hours on a 14 year old boat is rare and the hull I wanted as an old salalom skier willing to learn some new tricks (wakeboarding).

Plus this should be versatile enough to get my grand kids started into whatever interests them on the water.

Just turned the prop by hand. Initially stiff but it was dry. Loosened up after a half turn so I think it is OK. Found a receipt where the previous owner had a tranny seal leak and had it repaired as well as a shaft alignment about 5 years ago.

Considering previous owner had it in a covered barn for 2.5 to 3 years I am wondering about dried seals? Everything in the motor box look to have been closed up and all rubber feels good with no cracking I am thinking about the shaft seal. Would that dry up or am I over thinking?

Going out to do an oil change now. As part of my pre-purchase inspection I did have the tech run the motor and check for milkiness in the oil. None was found and the oil is clean light brown at worst. Not milky or even very dark colored.

Thank for the feedback. Keep it coming I value the information I get on this forum. Will load a couple of more pictures tonight.

Leave a comment:

• ac505
    replied
    The prop strut bushes can be a little stiff on these boats so make sure the bushes are wet before you try to spin the prop. My prop is hard to turn when dry but when it comes out the water it spins freely.

And yes, nice find!!

Leave a comment:

• damaged442
    replied
    With any boat that has been parked for a while, you need to be patient. Check and change fluids and keep an eye on them. Make sure they aren't getting milky or changing color too quickly. Fresh gas, fresh oil, fresh tranny fluid. Give it the old tune up and enjoy the boat! Nice find, that is a pretty versatile hull.

Leave a comment:

• FrankSchwab
    replied
    See how hard the prop is to turn out of the water - if it's really hard with one hand, or takes two hands, you likely need to do an engine/propshaft alignment. It's an afternoon's work, but if it needs to be done it can create a whine.

Also, look at the prop - if it has any dings, they can "sing" when you're cruising along and sound like a whine.

/frank

Leave a comment:

• scott023
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
    nice find -
    That's what I was thinking.

Leave a comment:

• mikeg205
    replied
    nice find -

Leave a comment:

• ac505
    replied
    The transmission whine sounds pretty much the same as my boat, I wouldn't be concerned.

I have the low rpm ball bearing noise, however haven't changed the oil over to 15/40 yet, a winter layup job.

Leave a comment:

• mikelleen
    replied
    Originally posted by Retoxtony View Post
    An indmar LTR is just a GM 350 so i'd expect to see 150 for sure on a compression test. Its just weird that all the cylinders would test that low, especially if it runs good. Thats why i was wondering if it was maybe done wrong.
    You're right, I mis-read the inspection report. Compression was 175 to 180, not 75 to 80 as I originally posted.

Thanks!

Original post edited for clarity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X