Skiing a 2015 X Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiing a 2015 X Star

Got out on a 2015 X Star today. It's been 22 months since a partial tear (and subsequent re-injury) to my hamstring. First time on a slalom ski. Slalom profile puts tabs down to start, no ballast, retracts tabs after taking off, and runs 32. the wake is not small, and I don't think you'd want to run the course behind it. For recreational slalom though, it is more skiable than I would have guessed, if you keep yourself in good position. Also, I ski a Conelly Big Daddy which likely makes the wake crossings worse due to the extremely wide tip. Driver said the tail was getting pulled around a bit.

Again, I haven't been on a ski in a long time, so be gentle with the comments.

https://youtu.be/lHtyo8kQWEo
    I spent most of my money on booze, broads and boats. The rest I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
    I had always thought that there was nothing quite so sad as an abandoned boat.-Terry Hayes

Good job, mad props for even giving it a go!!!

Comment

Great job. I will say when he backed off to hit 32 the wake seems to get bigger. If your legs can handle it try 34 and see if the wake settles a little. If not you can always back it down.

Comment

I refuse to slalom behind my 2001 X-star, I don't even want to think about a 2015.

Comment

That was great! Now I feel like a baby, I don't even like to slalom behind my X2

Comment

I was totally impressed! And I agree it lays down quite a bit more at 34, noticed that on way back in. But even at 32 the big 7.4 was turning 4800rpms! Definitely over propped!

Comment

Originally posted by Tsumi View Post
              I refuse to slalom behind my 2001 X-star, I don't even want to think about a 2015.
              Your X-star was a ski boat before it's motor was moved to the rear and it got a tower with ballast. You'd have a great ski wake on that boat.
              -Mike

Comment

36 and 10.25m and you should be ok!

Comment

not to bad.....definitely a better looking wake than any i/o boat could put out to ski on. Since the only time we slalom anymore is just to make sure we still can, videos like this help me to realize that any of these boats will be fine for recreational skiing.

Comment

Originally posted by mzimme View Post
                    Your X-star was a ski boat before it's motor was moved to the rear and it got a tower with ballast. You'd have a great ski wake on that boat.
                    One of my friends has a 2000 Maristar 210, and the ski wake behind that was better. Even the 2000 waterski mag agrees the Maristar had a better (smaller and softer) ski wake than the 205V. Plus, why would I ski behind it when I have a Prostar 190 and a friend with a Prostar 190?

Maybe at short line it would be better (28+ off), but I'm skiing at 15 off.

Comment

One of my friends has a 2000 Maristar 210, and the ski wake behind that was better. Even the 2000 waterski mag agrees the Maristar had a better (smaller and softer) ski wake than the 205V. Plus, why would I ski behind it when I have a Prostar 190 and a friend with a Prostar 190?

Maybe at short line it would be better (28+ off), but I'm skiing at 15 off.
                      I was more making the point that your wakeboard boat started as a ski boat. You have the most versatile hull ever made. With another 190 at your disposal, you're just livin' the dream.
                      -Mike

Comment

Impressive.. I tried behind my xstar... not so fun.. so I bought a 1981 J-craft 19' with a 200 Mercury Black Max for my "cuts"
                        2017 Mastercraft XT21- Black & Calypso Green Flake and Coolfeel interior

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2018 Audi Q7 Technik Navarra Blue with S-Line, Black Optics, Luxury package, advanced driver assistance, Audi Sport 21" wheels, tow hitch

Comment

Originally posted by mzimme View Post
                          I was more making the point that your wakeboard boat started as a ski boat. You have the most versatile hull ever made. With another 190 at your disposal, you're just livin' the dream.
                          Yeah, just because it had the heritage doesn't mean that the implementation was a versatile setup. The DD 205 would have been a versatile setup, not so much the V-drive.

Comment

Nice work, way to brave the cold water!

Comment

Yeah, just because it had the heritage doesn't mean that the implementation was a versatile setup. The DD 205 would have been a versatile setup, not so much the V-drive.
                              You're pretty much the only person that thinks so. If anyone else were looking for a "do-all" boat, the 205V would be at the top of most wish lists. There's a reason that hull has hardly depreciated over the years.
                              -Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X