Refinishing teak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing teak?

can some one guide me through the steps of refinishing my teak platform?

Here you go:
    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome gonna try this out...

Comment

Is this the sealer? http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=12818292

Comment

A lot of people here use 75% linseed oil 25% mineral spirits. Please understand that rags wet with linseed oil will self-ignite so don't leave a pile in your garage.

I used Watco teak oil the last time and I will not use it again, it leaves a gummy residue. The star brite teak oil may be better/different.
          Bailey
          '02 X-9
          Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

Originally posted by agarabaghi View Post
            That is not sealer that is just oil. Having used oil in the past and applying often gets tedious. I now use linseed oil/mineral spirits and am soooo happy that I am.

Comment

hmm

So i still need a sealer?

Comment

Originally posted by CruisinGA View Post
                A lot of people here use 75% linseed oil 25% mineral spirits. Please understand that rags wet with linseed oil will self-ignite so don't leave a pile in your garage.

I used Watco teak oil the last time and I will not use it again, it leaves a gummy residue. The star brite teak oil may be better/different.
                I used this last summer.....I was not impressed with the results.....
                2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
                Taxation = Theft

Comment

Originally posted by agarabaghi View Post
                  hmm

So i still need a sealer?
                  Nooooooo, whatever you do, don't use a sealer. If you can find a place that has Deks Olje #1 Matte finish, buy ALLL that they have. It is the best stuff I have ever used.
                  2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson
                  "Freedom is beneficial to everyone equally" - Ron Paul
                  Taxation = Theft

Comment

Teak

What I did the past week was power washed then let it dry. Sanded it with 150 to 220 sandpaper, Rinsed it off & let it dry again. Are used a tach cloth to remove any residue. Then I applied linseed oil and mineral spirits at a 75/25 or 80/20 ratio. I waited 24 hours between coats used three coats let try in sun.

Like others have said be careful with the rags - linseed oil is highly flammable. Dispose of properly.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I used Cetol from West marine as a finish coat. It lasts and stays looking perfect for a whole season, and my boat sits in the water from May to September.

Comment

Went with Cetol as well. Happy so far with 1 coat.

Pressure washed it:

Sanded it 400 - 1500 then washed it off and let it dry:

One Coat of Cetol marine natural teak

Comment

The attached looks really thorough. I must admit I go for a less scientific approach. Stainless steel wire wool (gets into all the nooks and crannies that sandpaper can't) wash down then 2 or 3 coats of teak oil. I don't want the surface too smooth.

Comment

Some one link to Kyle's 80/20 thread so people will stop wasting time.
                            -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

If you use sealer and no sand off you will get a painted look. I did this to mine and I think it takes less maintenance over time.. to get a rich look I would use a good teak oil.
                              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Working...
                              X