Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine cover strut help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engine cover strut help

    Hey guys,

    I put new struts on the engine cover of my 95 Prostar 190 and they worked for about 2 weeks. They no longer hold the engine cover up. I'll replace them soon, but that has created another small dilemma. With the new struts installed, the engine cover is pulled back and rubs terribly on the engine. Is anyone familiar with this problem? I seem to remember reading that the 96 and up had the transmission cover screwed down. Is that right? It that the solution? Thanks for your help!

  • #2
    Yes, the floor section (which the engine cover hinge is attached to) needs to be screwed down otherwise the gas struts will pull the engine cover rearward. There should also be two rectangular plastic blocks (approx. 1"x1"x5") screwed to the floor section in front of the motor (right near the ski pole) which also help with keeping the engine cover in the correct position.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the reply. I do have the plastic blocks to align the engine cover in the front. Is there any "strategic" place to screw down the rear cover? Did Mastercraft start doing this in 1996? I hate the idea of putting holes in by boat, but if that is the solution, I'd like it to look factory.

      Comment


      • #4
        The engine cover has always had hinges that are screwed to the rear center floor panel... Sounds like some one you boat the boat from maybe replaced carpet to remove the alignment blocks and hinges on the engine cover...
        1991 PROSTAR 190 Flagship Blue POWERSLOT OJ XMP CNC 13.7x17.5 .110 4B
        A.K.A. One of a kind mistake
        2011 Best In Show- 1987-2000 class

        Trying to keep slalom alive

        Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call Eric from OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

        Originally posted by flipper
        "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

        Comment


        • #5
          I just did this repair on mine last week. The four screw holes for the rear floor section were all rounded out from the previous owner. I filled in all 4 with fiberglass resin, sanded and painted black. I then drilled 4 new holes through the floor, and into the stringers at new locations. Location for the front 2 screws was right behind the rear edge of the doghouse and the two rear screws I placed as far back on the floor as I could under the rear seat.

          Comment


          • #6
            before posting a new thread I thought I'd try here first. Does anyone know the size and rating for the struts on the motor cover for a 82? I've got the ball swivel mounts just need the specs on the struts. I've replaced the floor and have come down with WhileI'mInThereItus disease. thanks in advance for the help.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gigem75 View Post
              before posting a new thread I thought I'd try here first. Does anyone know the size and rating for the struts on the motor cover for a 82? I've got the ball swivel mounts just need the specs on the struts. I've replaced the floor and have come down with WhileI'mInThereItus disease. thanks in advance for the help.
              OEM did not have lifts on an 82 as you know. I put 30 lb on all of the engine covers I have upgraded. Works just fine.

              SPD-GSNI-5300-30

              Amazon has them significantly less cost than NAPA.

              While you were there (floor), did you replace the stringers?

              .
              Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-02-2019, 10:28 AM.
              93 190
              (safe click)

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks, I did not know they didn't have struts. A PO must have put the balls on later but before me. 30lb, thanks! What length is best? Super Appreciated, Thanks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gigem75 View Post
                  Thanks, I did not know they didn't have struts. A PO must have put the balls on later but before me. 30lb, thanks! What length is best? Super Appreciated, Thanks!
                  That particular strut I linked will work. They have extended and contracted lengths (I do not recall specifics) but the one in the link will work for you.

                  .
                  93 190
                  (safe click)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks, I missed the link but got it now. I wish it was a year newer but it's not and that's ok. I had to reinforce the right front motor mount but other than that the stringers are amazingly solid. I rebuilt the Velvet Drive several years ago and the PO rebuilt the 351 and did a good job on that. I used BC exterior grade plywood for the floors and glassed it in so it's nice to have really solid floors. The upholstery is next on the list. I saw a thread on vent trim and those pieces would be great candidates for 3D printing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gigem75 View Post
                      Thanks, I missed the link but got it now. I wish it was a year newer but it's not and that's ok. I had to reinforce the right front motor mount but other than that the stringers are amazingly solid. I rebuilt the Velvet Drive several years ago and the PO rebuilt the 351 and did a good job on that. I used BC exterior grade plywood for the floors and glassed it in so it's nice to have really solid floors. The upholstery is next on the list. I saw a thread on vent trim and those pieces would be great candidates for 3D printing.
                      I have had all of the pre-86 models and after working extensively on both under-floor era boats, I actually prefer the pre-83 boats for the best under-floor results. Your 82 is a fine boat all around. I'd much rather have the wooden stringers (upon renewal and replacement using Douglas Fir) than the post-82 and the mess of foam under floor. You're better off in the long run with the 82 stringers.

                      .
                      Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-03-2019, 02:13 AM.
                      93 190
                      (safe click)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not being as well versed in these boats as I'd like to be that is good to know. Thanks!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A quick shout out to say thanks for the strut info. Just got them installed and holy moly! Makes you wonder how one survived without them, best thing since canned beer! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Just about finished, new floors, new carpet, new single stage polyurethane bright stripe down the sides and stern, new decals including the yin/yang logo, new blower and bilge pump, and general refresh of gelcoat. All that's left is for upholstery shop to finish the skins. Couple that with the previous upgrade to internal voltage regulator, new steering cable, and the rebuilt Velvet Drive and we be back in business. To bad my body is to old to ski like I used to, ha! such is life

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gigem75 View Post
                            A quick shout out to say thanks for the strut info. Just got them installed and holy moly! Makes you wonder how one survived without them, best thing since canned beer! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Just about finished, new floors, new carpet, new single stage polyurethane bright stripe down the sides and stern, new decals including the yin/yang logo, new blower and bilge pump, and general refresh of gelcoat. All that's left is for upholstery shop to finish the skins. Couple that with the previous upgrade to internal voltage regulator, new steering cable, and the rebuilt Velvet Drive and we be back in business. To bad my body is to old to ski like I used to, ha! such is life
                            Glad it works for you. Best on the upcoming boating season.

                            Thank you for the update.

                            .
                            93 190
                            (safe click)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gigem75 View Post
                              A quick shout out to say thanks for the strut info. Just got them installed and holy moly! Makes you wonder how one survived without them, best thing since canned beer! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Just about finished, new floors, new carpet, new single stage polyurethane bright stripe down the sides and stern, new decals including the yin/yang logo, new blower and bilge pump, and general refresh of gelcoat. All that's left is for upholstery shop to finish the skins. Couple that with the previous upgrade to internal voltage regulator, new steering cable, and the rebuilt Velvet Drive and we be back in business. To bad my body is to old to ski like I used to, ha! such is life
                              Pictures please.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X