Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gunsbuns
    replied
    Certainly explains the two replacement ballast pumps that have been done in two years. Previous owner did lots of wakeboarding (425hrs in two years) so i guess lots of carry in salt water by wet riders equals plenty of salt water accumulating in bilge. Probably the odd fat sac leak as well. Just seems to be on the mounts and the coupler.

So I'm heariing:
    - degrease
    - clean loose rust with wire brush
    - bit of sanding to smooth out
    - hit with a rust converter (best one?)
    - throw some blue paint on
    - cover with fluid film or corrosion X
    - flush bilge with fresh regularly
    Hows this sound?

Leave a comment:

• moosehead
    replied
    +3 for the MCOCD approach. We don't see that much corrosion in 15 years here.

Naval Jelly, wire brush, sand, paint, anti-seize all other bolts. Fluid Film or Corrosion X regularly thereafter.

How does one flush saltwater ballasts other than fresh water fill or two?

Leave a comment:

• Stritt
    replied
    Error

Leave a comment:

• FoggyNogginz
    replied
    If you wanna prep before painting/coating, Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver will eat the rust right off. Paint or coat immediately thereafter. http://m.loctiteproducts.com/browse_products.pl/7/24

Leave a comment:

• BudmanV24
    replied
    I'd just lightly sand those parts and then hit em with rustoleum. To me it just looks like surface rust....nothing serious.

Leave a comment:

• mikeg205
    replied
    clean it up and spray it down with corrosion inhibitor.. maybe throw in some zinc anodes in the bilge and have them take the brunt of the corrosion..

salt water tuff.. I would get to that coupler - though - no reason to be stranded for what that costs to replace...

Leave a comment:

• lashburn1
    replied
    WOW- and thats the SS edition... not pretty.

Leave a comment:

• Thrall
    replied
    Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't do anything but keep them sprayed down with WD40.

Are you still boating in salt?
    Or if you can find it down there, Fluid Film. It's a lanolin based lube/ protectant. It lasts a lot longer than wd40 or pb blaster stuff.
    If your mcocd kicks in, wire brush, sand, prep and paint with good paint or a rust converter like por 15.
    I would also undo and anti seize every bolt you could. Looks like the whole bilge will be rusted together in a couple years based on how much corrosion now only 2 years old.

Edit beat me to it. Too many helpful people NOT boating today dammit....
    Heading out now though!

Leave a comment:

• CantRepeat
    replied
    Originally posted by Narrowscraft View Post
    Fluid film.

Spray all the areas.
    Non toxic rust protection originally developed by the navy for lining ballast tanks in ships.

Works great

John
    Looks like good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• clrussell
    replied
    I'm with can't repeat on this one, just maintain what you have and if you have problems then replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Narrowscraft
    replied
    Fluid film.

Spray all the areas.
    Non toxic rust protection originally developed by the navy for lining ballast tanks in ships.

Works great

John

Leave a comment:

• CantRepeat
    replied
    For sure, rinsing after every use and hot soapy water the motor and trans. Or get some of that salt away stuff. Always let the engine compartment dry out after each use. IE leave the hatches open until it drys.

Leave a comment:

• gunsbuns
    replied
    Yep. I just got the boat but we're located around coastal waters so mostly salt. Great to surf in but it hammers boats. I just want to do my best to help her live long and comfortable. Fresh rinsing, polishing etc. Keep on top things as best i can. Hence looking for experienced advice on what others do.

Leave a comment:

• CantRepeat
    replied
    Personally, I wouldn't do anything but keep them sprayed down with WD40.

Are you still boating in salt?

Leave a comment:

• gunsbuns
    replied
    Im not up to fixing anything like this myself. Just interested in necessity (should it be done and should it be done asap) and a rough idea of reasonable hrs and rough parts cost to do it. Do i need to sell the wife (low$$) or the daughter (high $$) or both! Knowing them both, as i do.....life could be worse

Leave a comment:

Working...
X