LT1 unable to keep idle alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 unable to keep idle alive

Recently purchased a 95 prostar 190 with an LT1, don't think it has the power slot. replaced water pump, mufflers, stats, impeller, etc. Otherwise appears in great shape. First time on the water it seemed to run fine. Last weekend it started just fine, died at idle after a minute or so. Then I drove it off the lift and it kept dying unless I feathered the throttle constantly. Ran OK at speed but may have been slightly rough. Filled tank with gas last November when purchased. Random comments from friends to date are bad gas, bad throttle position sensor, bad fuel pump relay. Checked fuel pressure and it read over 40psi. A likely related problem is the fuel pump "whine" recently started kicking on and off every 5-10 seconds after starting and idling for 20-30 seconds. Your knowledge is much appreciated. I don't have many weekends to ski in the summer and hate to mothball it for a few weeks until the shop can get to it.

Last edited by mgs96ps; 05-12-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Did you put any treatment in the gas when you filled it?

Comment

Good advice on filters, will do. Planned on changing them in the garage this past winter but never got around to it. Can you tell me more about the checking the inlet screen?

Comment

I think I put Sea Foam in it, but can't recall. Thanks.

Comment

Last edited by mgs96ps; 05-12-2016, 11:19 PM.

Comment

if fuel pump whining it's ready to die... but above is correct...
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Will do thank you. I'll report back after the weekend and hopefully taking care of these items.

Comment

you might need to clean your idle air control valve

Comment

I will check that also. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

If cleaning the IAC, make sure you have a new gasket for it to avoid a vacuum leak.
                      1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Also....check screen on the inlet side of the fuel pump...you have to remove the fittings to get at it....they just unscrew.

Comment

Does it lope at idle? I had that issue on my boat (different engine). New IAC did the trick.
                          Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

OK. I replaced the two fuel filters, removed the fuel pump on the back of the motor and found a clear screen, replaced the throttle position sensor and the IAC, and cleaned the intake and butterfly with choke cleaner without dismantling it. Started just fine. Idled well for 5-8 minutes. Then the motor started dying. Seamed to have a slight lag when juicing the throttle. The fuel pump whines off and on. Didn't feel comfortable taking it for a test drive.

In summary it started right away, idled fine for a while, then stumbled. My instinct is it isn't fixed and will continue to die.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                            X