Boat Cover Vents - Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Cover Vents - Yay or Nay?

Are the vents below MCOCD approved? Feels like they would be much easier than the strapped pole contraption and allow some additional venting. Say one fore and aft with poles that snap into the underside.

The MC over the tower cover otherwise has good support on its own, just needs two mild peaks to keep water from pooling and to otherwise have a fully taunt cover. Would appreciate any comments on durability, towability at speed, water intrusion, etc. Thanks all.

http://www.amazon.com/Vent-Cap-Adjus...508926-0004751

Approved. These have been factory installed on a lot of covers for a very long time. I can't comment on the over tower application but not sure I've ever heard a complaint about these vents.

Comment

Vents are a must IMO.

Comment

Vents... +2!!

Comment

Originally posted by scott023 View Post
          Vents are a must IMO.
          Originally posted by curver900 View Post
          Vents... +2!!
          +3! (Unless you like smelling like a wet dog and foggy electronics)

Comment

Thanks gents. They'll go in today. Not the same as cutting a hole in the hull, but still some pucker factor to put two holes in a new MC cover. Cheers.

Comment

You may want to use a soldering iron or even a lighter to singe the edge of your cut to prevent fraying. Good luck with the upgrade!

Comment

^Thanks all, these are a double thumbs up. Very sturdy, vent nicely with no water intrusion, easy setup with cover vs. the funged strapped poles, no pooling, fully taunt cover without the need to overly strap it down. Some boats could get away with only one pole depending upon your cover setup.

IMO, these should be factory.

Great tip from BOB to lighly melt the edge of the cut. The Amazon linked product at the top is of great quality, especially compared to the POS tent poles I've used in the past.

Comment

Glad it worked out well for you! Got any pics? I'd like to see the cover you have.

Comment

Same pole placement as stock. Note the hole size is larger than the pole diameter and must be large enough to let the vents breathe. I traced the circumference of the vents and cut it with a pointed xacto knife tool, then quick lighter flame on the circumference of the cut as BOB suggested.

Last edited by moosehead; 07-17-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome. Are the black ovals on the side of the cover access points for cleats?

Comment

Do the stock MC vents that look like scoops allow water to leak in? I don't understand why MC positions them the way they do on the cover.
                        2016 X20
                        2010 X2, MCX-sold
                        2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4x4, duramax/allison

Comment

Originally posted by Eric2010MCX2 View Post
                          Do the stock MC vents that look like scoops allow water to leak in? I don't understand why MC positions them the way they do on the cover.
                          If the poles with the straps are not installed and tightened to form a ridge in between water will come in.
                          If You Find Too Many Capitals You Can Keep Them...I'm German

It's always 5pm somewhere, time for a beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric2010MCX2 View Post
                            The ones on the side of the windshield area? If so, no, they let in zero water.
                            onewheat

2013 X-25

Comment

How do these do while towing? Do they make your cover blow up tight??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X