Carburetor choices for 91-93 Prostars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor choices for 91-93 Prostars

Has anyone tried Edelbrock or Quick Fuel carburetors on their 91-93 Prostars with the ford 351? If so what's your results and how easy was the change over? Thanks

Are you not getting the 4160 anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post
      Has anyone tried Edelbrock or Quick Fuel carburetors on their 91-93 Prostars with the ford 351? If so what's your results and how easy was the change over? Thanks

1st off, new fuel lines, on the edelbrock you will need a carb adaptor, or new manifold for spread bore. Not familiar with quick fuel.

Why reinvent? Holley 4160 is what almost everybody uses, so plenty of advise.
      sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
        Are you not getting the 4160 anymore?

Yes, I bought the 4160, should be in today. Just considering other options. I've heard the Quick Fuel marine carb is as good as fuel injection. Just curious who here has real life experiences.

Comment

Last edited by Spork; 11-16-2015, 06:44 PM.
          /spĂ´rk/
          a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

Originally posted by etduc View Post
            1st off, new fuel lines, on the edelbrock you will need a carb adaptor, or new manifold for spread bore. Not familiar with quick fuel.

Why reinvent? Holley 4160 is what almost everybody uses, so plenty of advise.

The reason everyone uses the Holley is because that's what came on their boat originally and it's an easy swop out when the Holley fails. That doesn't make it a better product. There are several nightmarish stories on here about their experiences with Holley carbs. I have a few of my own. I'm not saying I'm changing but if there's a better option, improvement, why not change.

Comment

The Quick Fuel carburetor is just a knock-off of the Holley 4160. I don't know how this could be better than the Holley.
              CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
              sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
              REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
              REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
              Email - [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
                The Quick Fuel carburetor is just a knock-off of the Holley 4160. I don't know how this could be better than the Holley.

It looks exactly like a Holley. I was wondering if Quick Fuel is just a division of Holley? After doing a little research it seems to be a privately owned business with 40-50 employees. Ironically in Bowling Green Kentucky, same as Holley.

Comment

Ya I know how you feel trying to find a better alternative. I too am also having problems with Holley, but as its an on-going thing and I wont say anythign bad or good until the experience is over.

The problem with carbs is the general lack of knowledge by most and zero feedback from the system. Im learning that the vacume guage is a critical piece of the system. What I do not like is the lack of 02 feedback.

Most carbs run of the same basic principals. I highly doubt the quick fuel is like fuel injection. A carbeurator is a metered fuel leak. The key is really fine tuning to your application. This is where I am having problems with my 4160. I think the general setup is geared more towards the 351's and 350's, not my 454. This is giving me less than favourable results. The more I read the more I learn about all the circuits you can modify. The more I realize I should have sent my 4150 in to be restored as I dont have the time to learn this to apply to just one application.

I hope your 4160 works well for you!

Comment

I have an Edelbrock 1405 on my Indmar 351w. They are tune-able and will work fine but coming from Holleys I personally prefer the adjust-ability of the holley design. Sure not having to drain floats is cool and all but those metering rod's and springs are a PITA. Just trying to read the numbers on the rod will give you a migraine. I say stick with any Holley based variant - Quick Fuel, Barry Grant, Demon, AED, Willy's etc etc... There are a lot of really cool carb swap true EFI solutions as well now a days. A little pricier then just a carb but you could run like a FAST XFI 2.0 on a boat and it would be insane!
                    -Chad
                    02 X-Star - Old Kicker Audio Boat - Orange as hell - Eleanor
                    89 Baja SK190 DD - Resto'd as a Wake boat. Joystick tower, custom interior, HydroTurf all over! - Aquaholic [For Sale]

Comment

Skidim sells a 4160 that is set up specifically for the 454, as well as one for the 350/351. See link below.....

http://www.skidim.com/4160-CARBURETO...info/RA052007/

Originally posted by Roman View Post
                      I think the general setup is geared more towards the 351's and 350's, not my 454. This is giving me less than favourable results. The more I read the more I learn about all the circuits you can modify. The more I realize I should have sent my 4150 in to be restored as I dont have the time to learn this to apply to just one application.

I hope your 4160 works well for you!

Comment

Quick question, when mounting the new carburetor do I use lock washers or just flat washers? When I removed the old carb it only had the flat washers. Need answer asap! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post
                          Quick question, when mounting the new carburetor do I use lock washers or just flat washers? When I removed the old carb it only had the flat washers. Need answer asap! Thanks
                          Whatever you have will work fine. Flat washers spread out the torque slightly and lock washers will not loosen from vibrations. They will gouge the material though

Comment

flat washers on 4160 carb

I never used lock washers on my Supra Comp Holley carb. Never had any problems. There wasn't enough threads on the studs to use them.

Comment

Flat washers are standard. If you wanted the benefit from lock washers, include them with the flat washers. Or you could use nylon insert lock-nuts.
                              CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                              sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                              REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                              REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                              Email - [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X