• TACOMA vs CANYON

Looking at the
    2016 Tacoma (loaded)
    2015/16 Canyon (loaded)

more of a dual purpose Work/Play truck

I've owned a few Toyotas, all great.
    Resale on the Toys are great..no brainer
    But the GMC looks nice , a bit more room, even tow 1k more i think

I have a Tow vehicle for the Boat on long hauls..so let skip the full size option...
    sigpic
    2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
    2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
    2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
    2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
    2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
    2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
    2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
    2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
    2013 Yamaha 242LS

Canyon is a much better looking truck, IMO. I have no experience with the new models of this truck, but I know I'd lean towards the new Canyon, looks like they've got a winner there.

Comment

Although I like the new look on the Canyon, I am on my second Tacoma and absolutely love the truck. Rides more like an suv then a truck and used to tow my boat at 65+ like a champ...

My buddy switched from Ranger and is very impressed with the Tacoma... :-)
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a 2012 Tacoma. It has been solid, no problems. It is still the best looking truck in my opinion. But the MPG is TERRIBLE. I know the new Taco is supposed to be better power/mpg, but the price seems pretty high. I would go full size on my next truck.

Comment

those small trucks are really useless IMO. I get 21.5 average MPGs in my 2015 silverado, and those little toy trucks almost cost as much as a half ton.
          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
          For Sale:
          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Yes, the Toyota is a no-brainer on the resale and reliability for me. This would be my fourth one

I'm really liking the looks of the canyon, and it seems that pretty good reviews so far.

GMC/Chevy had a dud with the last Canyon series. So I hate to be the guinea pig on a new model. I tend to drive my vehicles very far and put a lot of miles on them so they go out of warranty quick
            sigpic
            2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
            2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
            2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
            2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
            2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
            2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
            2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
            2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
            2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
              those small trucks are really useless IMO. I get 21.5 average MPGs in my 2015 silverado, and those little toy trucks almost cost as much as a half ton.
              Totally agree with you on the pricing Aric. I can get a 1/2 ton tundra for the exact same dollars.
              But I need something a little bit smaller, at work, and I don't need to capacities of a one half ton.
              I drive so many miles, getting over 20 miles per gallon on city highway combo here in San Diego adds up a lot.

For me, it's serving the purpose of a car and a truck at the same time
              Our Sequoia platinum is an animal. I have no problem with the towing capability., for our vacation needs.
              sigpic
              2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
              2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
              2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
              2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
              2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
              2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
              2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
              2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
              2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

Inquiring minds want to know if you are talking Canyon Diesel or Gas?

Comment

Originally posted by lashburn1 View Post
                  Totally agree with you on the pricing Aric. I can get a 1/2 ton tundra for the exact same dollars.
                  But I need something a little bit smaller, at work, and I don't need to capacities of a one half ton.
                  I drive so many miles, getting over 20 miles per gallon on city highway combo here in San Diego adds up a lot.

For me, it's serving the purpose of a car and a truck at the same time
                  Our Sequoia platinum is an animal. I have no problem with the towing capability., for our vacation needs.
                  at 65 or so i can get like 25 or more MPGs with the 5.3 and 3.42s! id check out the canyon diesel if you must go the mini truck route, especially after the whole frame thing on the Tacos
                  Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                  2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                  For Sale:

Comment

Toyota for sure..

My wifey wants a 4Runner TRD Pro when my truck is paid for lol
                    98 Cobra - Custom Engine - Foxlake Racing - Accufab Racing - Holley Dominator ECU - Racepak IQ3 - Griggs Racing - Vortech - Kooks - Weldon - T56 Magnum - Built Rear End - HRE's - Baer - C&R - E-85

2013 F-250 PSD - Carli 2.5" Back Country - Fox Racing - BMF - Toyo RT's - Air Ride - AMP Research - Magnaflow - H&S - No Limit Fabrication - Deleted - Tuned - 450rwhp/1000rwtq

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                      at 65 or so i can get like 25 or more MPGs with the 5.3 and 3.42s! id check out the canyon diesel if you must go the mini truck route, especially after the whole frame thing on the Tacos
                      For sure, I had the previous first-generation Tacoma. I drove that 300,000 miles with a little more than oil changes and front shocks. I'm glad I skipped over the second-generation. It looked OK, but I didn't hear very good things

Canyon has the diesel coming out, I think they'll be available in March?

I suppose I could get whatever I want, but I really want to stay away from a larger full-size pick up truck, for the given application
                      sigpic
                      2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
                      2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
                      2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
                      2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
                      2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
                      2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
                      2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
                      2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
                      2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

Originally posted by lashburn1 View Post
                        Looking at the
                        2016 Tacoma (loaded)
                        2015/16 Canyon (loaded)

more of a dual purpose Work/Play truck

I've owned a few Toyotas, all great.
                        Resale on the Toys are great..no brainer
                        But the GMC looks nice , a bit more room, even tow 1k more i think

I have a Tow vehicle for the Boat on long hauls..so let skip the full size option...
                        After all the quality issues we have had with out gmc Sierra.... Tacoma hands down!!! They are also rock solid trucks.
                        2016 X20
                        2010 X2, MCX-sold
                        2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4x4, duramax/allison

Comment

A touch over 1.2 million tacomas have been recalled due to frame rust or leaf springs rotting and falling off. I'll pass.
                          Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                          For Sale:

Comment

I'm a GM guy. And my biggest issue with the Colarado is the engine. That would have been a great truck if the used the 4.3 that's in the Silverado. Not a fan of the 3.6 that's in there now, even though it fits what's the competition offers. Would like to drive the diesel version before I decide on a new truck.

Comment

I favor the tacoma since that's what I drive. On my 2nd one now. Tows our 197 great and I perfect size truck for my needs and easier to get around the city on my long commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X