X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DocPhil
    replied
    Originally posted by Keith2230 View Post
    I read up on this quite a bit a while back. From what I read on other sites he's not the only one that has been threatened with a voided warranty. Some have theorized it puts backpressure on the engine that could cause premature wear. This backpressure could be reduced when underway with the exhaust getting pulled out by the water creating low pressure as it flowed past the exhaust. I didn't see any scientific measurement of any of the above for what it's worth. Just opinion and supposition.

With that out there I think this thread is pretty representative of what I've read about. A few warnings and a lot of people that absolutely love it.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it. I would just be 100% sure you have a dealer that is willing to work on your motor if something goes wrong or you should take it off before you go to the dealer if you're not sure. I'm willing to bet there is more than one dealer out there that would void a warranty secondary to FAE. I know mine wouldn't and I could safely use it but I feel it is disrespectful to the 7.4. That beast shouldn't be quieted. CO be damned!

It wouldn't hurt to give a call to your dealer and say that you are considering an FAE and see what they say. If they have no issues, I wouldn't be concerned at all about voiding warranty. For those that are out of warranty, this obviously isn't an issue

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
    I was also told that their engine do not emit as much CO2 as others do so they don't feel like its needed.
    I think you mean CO. Sorry to be picky. I'm a science nerd at heart.

Leave a comment:

• Mastercraftdave
    replied
    Call me crazy but I just love the sound of my 6.2L roaring when you get out of the hole. It just sounds mean and with Wetsounds I'm not worried about Stereo because its clear as day.

I looked in FAE after reading the positive things that were said about it on here and spoke with Ilmor directly. They advised me not to do it. They do not design their engines for FAE like CC does from the factory. I was also told that their engine do not emit as much CO2 as others do so they don't feel like its needed.

Leave a comment:

• Keith2230
    replied
    I read up on this quite a bit a while back. From what I read on other sites he's not the only one that has been threatened with a voided warranty. Some have theorized it puts backpressure on the engine that could cause premature wear. This backpressure could be reduced when underway with the exhaust getting pulled out by the water creating low pressure as it flowed past the exhaust. I didn't see any scientific measurement of any of the above for what it's worth. Just opinion and supposition.

With that out there I think this thread is pretty representative of what I've read about. A few warnings and a lot of people that absolutely love it.

Originally posted by DocPhil View Post
    Many have noticed power reductions with FAE

I had one on my 2014 23 LSV and it was OK. Things to consider

1)power reduction

2)spray and drag especially at wakeboard, ski and cruising speeds

3)potential voiding of ilmor warranty. When I was considering one, ilmor told me directly that it could void warranty. Could that all be puff? Maybe. But I wasn't willing to risk it.

Leave a comment:

• CottagerGreg
    replied
    I have an MCX in my xstar and I can plane out to wake boarding speeds with factory ballast plus 2000 lbs of sacs with 4-5 people and I run the FAE

Leave a comment:

• DocPhil
    replied
    Many have noticed power reductions with FAE

I had one on my 2014 23 LSV and it was OK. Things to consider

1)power reduction

2)spray and drag especially at wakeboard, ski and cruising speeds

3)potential voiding of ilmor warranty. When I was considering one, ilmor told me directly that it could void warranty. Could that all be puff? Maybe. But I wasn't willing to risk it.

Leave a comment:

• swatguy
    replied
    I am on my 5th FAE. Will never own a boat without it and I barely surf. The noise and Co reduction alone for me make it worth every penny

Leave a comment:

• CottagerGreg
    replied
    Great unit...love mine

Leave a comment:

• jafo9
    replied
    if you get the quick release mounts, it will come off pretty easily. pull 2 pins, loosen 4 clamps, done.

Leave a comment:

• lees23
    replied
    Is this something that can easily be taken off and put on? Or is it a PItA to remove/install?

Leave a comment:

• MC25
    replied
    Originally posted by scott023 View Post
    Wonder how this would work is there's surf tabs on the boat.
    Scott, I believe Ryan has one on his 45.

Leave a comment:

• rgardjr1
    replied
    Originally posted by scott023 View Post

I had a center trim tab put on my boat this winter. I haven't got the boat back, but I know I'm going to have to make some adjustment to my FAE to make it work with the new tab. I looked at quite a few pictures of installed trim tabs and it looked like the surf tabs wouldn't get in the way of the FAE.

Leave a comment:

• scott023
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lashburn1
    replied
    I have one of these new in a box for my X-2 , I would sell it or trade it for my new X – 30

Leave a comment:

• longboardebo
    replied
    I love mine, relatively easy to install and definitely cuts down on the boat noise. Surfing is a significantly better experience due to the low noise and no smell. I've see no ill effects in terms of wake, vibration, or engine power. The key is to give them very good measurements, especially if you have a center tab on your boat. Make sure to get enough clearance so the tab move freely.

One of the best things I've done to my X-55!

Leave a comment:

• J.Graham
    replied
    Purchased one at the end of last summer but haven't installed it yet (boat Is 4 hrs away). But I will say the owner of the company was great to deal with and the product is high quality. Definitely going on this spring!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X