No announcement yet.

Fresh Air Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No apologies required. It's one of future projects I've been contemplating. I was leaning towards the multi-piece because I understand it's expensive to ship the single piece. Your comments have me reconsidering. Thanks!

Comment

• I got the one piece and like it as it is solid and doesn't move. Yes installation took longer than I thought it would as there is cutting and some drilling involved. The directions are pretty good but could be clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by moosehead View Post
        ^G, the install was more complicated than it should be. I'm semi-competent and it still took 2+ hours as the model we bought required (1) cutting several metal pieces to fit (not difficult), and (2) drilling holes in two metal tubes (difficult without a drill press). Two months ago, I was able to install an aftermarket Borla truck exhaust in less time.

The newer FAE models look a bit more straightforward and I would recommend the singular FAE piece so it doesn't move under water pressure, the multi-piece unit needs multiple clamps and lock screws to keep it in place above surf speeds. Heads up, the teak swim platform mounting screws are not short enough and could press through the entire 1 1/2" of most teak decks, so those had to be cut down as well. No need to remove for trailering.

Either way, happy with the final result, it is quiet and the exhaust bubbles aft in the prop-wash once in gear.

Sorry to vent, but you asked, and MCOCD rules govern.
        so long and short of it is I will buy, you will come over and help me install?? I'll make sure we have 24 Canadian beer to drink while working on the project.

Comment

• .... I highly recommend it and I think Master Craft needs to make it an option.
          Had a conversation with the FAE folks and they are in discussion with MC about making it an option - no firm details or timelines, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see it later this year or next and in a one piece MC shiny/bling version.

Comment

• Originally posted by gt23 View Post
            so long and short of it is I will buy, you will come over and help me install?? I'll make sure we have 24 Canadian beer to drink while working on the project.
            Twist my arm. How about this afternoon?

Comment

• Originally posted by moosehead View Post
              Twist my arm. How about this afternoon?

Well... Are you around LPO? Lol. Next spring!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WestCoastCanada View Post
                I got the one piece and like it as it is solid and doesn't move. Yes installation took longer than I thought it would as there is cutting and some drilling involved. The directions are pretty good but could be clearer.

Any impact on your under water lights?
                2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

• Originally posted by lda6339 View Post
                  Any impact on your under water lights?

At night when I turn them on they are still a good brightness. But if you are behind looking at the lights you can see that the light is blocked. So the answer is yes there is an impact but it isn't major in my opinion.

Comment

• Just was out at a friends cabin to surf and inspect his FAE installation on the X30. He got the one piece with trim tab mounts instead of the swim platform mount. Looks pretty nice. The underwater lights look unobstructed with this set up. Surfing is so much nicer with FAE. I can not wait to get mine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• How does the trim tab mounts attach to the boat?

Comment

• Originally posted by masterx10 View Post
                        How does the trim tab mounts attach to the boat?

You remove the trim tab screws and then attach the bracket to the hinge on the trim tab. Then you reinstall the screws into the back of the transom.

I think I prefer the swim platform mount.

Comment

• For those who installed their FAE, whats the trick to getting the original MC exhausts off?

Screws are out and before I use a blade of some sort to break the seal between the metal exhaust and the gel coat (an potentially mess up my gel coat or something worse) I thought I would see how everyone else got their exhausts off (so they can be replaced with the black exhausts FAE provided in the second picture).
                          Attached Files

Comment

• ^^^^They are a bear to get off. I used a combination of plastic shims and this stuff

https://www.debondcorporation.com/pr...marine-formula

It is the only thing I know of that can dissolve 3M 4200 or 5200.

Shims, plastic razor blades, Debond, fishing line and some dedication my friend. Good luck....

Comment

• I have yet to tackle this but Larry, from FAE, suggested wood shims to wedge it off. I plan to use the debond in the link with wood shims, plastic blades and putty knife. He also sent me a word doc with the recommended procedure but it's just a longer version of what's been said.

Related - if you are going through the trouble of removing the tips why aren't you using the thru hull mount? If prevents you from having any other mounting brackets/ braces to the transom or swim platform. This is what I'm doing on mine as I didn't want to mess with other brackets.

Not looking forward to it!

Comment

• Originally posted by DocPhil View Post
                                ^^^^They are a bear to get off. I used a combination of plastic shims ... plastic razor blades, Debond, fishing line and some dedication my friend. Good luck....
                                Sounds like I need to have a lot of patience and persistence, and quite a few quarters to put in the "swear word jar"!

Originally posted by kwoody51 View Post
                                Related - if you are going through the trouble of removing the tips why aren't you using the thru hull mount? If prevents you from having any other mounting brackets/ braces to the transom or swim platform. This is what I'm doing on mine as I didn't want to mess with other brackets.
                                I am using the side mount kit as I thought drilling into the swim platform bracket was going to be the toughest part of the install - but once I started on the exhaust tips, and with your and DocPhil's insights, I realize now how drilling the platform will be far easier than removing the exhaust!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X