Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kwoody51
    replied
    I talked with Larry about removing the mufflers and his thought was it would reduce sound but much less than the overall FAE install - like you probably wouldn't notice. The theory is that the mufflers have potential to have a sight vibration and this could get transmitted into the boat.

Honestly I'd leave them as I don't think it will make much difference. My boat had no mufflers so I didn't have to consider this

Leave a comment:

• Keith2230
    replied
    May not affect it much since the exhaust is under the water but if it did anything it would make it louder. Consider when you put the FAE on you lost your exhaust flaps. The mufflers act as another chamber water would have to get through before it got into the block and did damage. That alone would be reason enough not to remove them. No good reason to not leave those mufflers in place.

Leave a comment:

• mseller
    replied
    So I already have a FAE and love it. My question is I have two mufflers inside the engine compartment as well. Would removing these make things even quieter?

Leave a comment:

• Cc4me
    replied
    Originally posted by kwoody51 View Post
    If you re-read the posting you'll see he mentioned that he worked with Larry on this mounting option. I don't think it is standard, but what I've learned in working with them on mine is that they'll build you almost anything you want as each one is hand built. You just have to be clear in your asking and understanding of what's possible.

Another option, although more involved on the install is a thru hull mount. It's the cleanest looking, same as earlier poster as it has no mounts and most secure but also the most involved. See my thread here... https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=78353

I had read your write up (good job) already.....your FAE install loooks great, but as you mention it was very difficult. If Larry Mann was confident in the design he created for Rdahler, I like that install option better.

Leave a comment:

• kwoody51
    replied
    Originally posted by Cc4me View Post
    Odd, I talked to Christina Mann at FAE today and she did not offer this as an install option. I much prefer this look to the bracing to my teak. Any ideas if it has to do with something on X10 vs X25?
    If you re-read the posting you'll see he mentioned that he worked with Larry on this mounting option. I don't think it is standard, but what I've learned in working with them on mine is that they'll build you almost anything you want as each one is hand built. You just have to be clear in your asking and understanding of what's possible.

Another option, although more involved on the install is a thru hull mount. It's the cleanest looking, same as earlier poster as it has no mounts and most secure but also the most involved. See my thread here... https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=78353

Leave a comment:

• Cc4me
    replied
    Originally posted by RDahler View Post
    They are just screw to the Transom with 1 inch SS self taping screws the new pipe extends threw the old flange by 3 inches and is secured with new 1 1/4 SS screws in the same holes. I think that this is the best way to secure the pipe it is very secure but no so secure that if run aground that it will pull the transom off the boat.

This is a view from the side with platform all the way down.
    Odd, I talked to Christina Mann at FAE today and she did not offer this as an install option. I much prefer this look to the bracing to my teak. Any ideas if it has to do with something on X10 vs X25?

Leave a comment:

• Cc4me
    replied

Leave a comment:

• masterx10
    replied
    Anyone know what size T-bolt clamp is needed for the FAE.

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    They are just screw to the Transom with 1 inch SS self taping screws the new pipe extends threw the old flange by 3 inches and is secured with new 1 1/4 SS screws in the same holes. I think that this is the best way to secure the pipe it is very secure but no so secure that if run aground that it will pull the transom off the boat.

Leave a comment:

• lsupcar
    replied
    Very nice.
    Are the flanges through bolted or just screwed into the transom?

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    X25 Fae

This is a view from the side with platform all the way down.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 6KidSurf
    replied
    I worked with Larry at FAE to come up with a way to attach the FAE pipe directly on top of the existing exhaust flanges. I just removed the flaps and three screws from each flange applied a bead of 5200 and screwed it on. Very well attached to the boat no movement at all and the platform will still fold fully down.
    Any other pictures? I would love to see a side view or one with the screws -- this design would seem to also work well on the 2015+ boats

Leave a comment:

• TassieMC
    replied
    Originally posted by kwoody51 View Post
    Is the stud, T bolt and nut stainless or just the clamp? All the '$5' tee bolt clamps I came across didn't have SS hardware, just the clamp. Hence my link to McMaster Carr which does have 100% SS constructed parts.

If the clamp is going under the water and it's something you may not see regularly the last thing you want is to cheap out on the hardware.

If the ones you posted are 100% SS bad on me, but guessing they aren't...

Definitely go for full stainless. The clamps I used were about $AUD20.00. I'm sure you could get them cheaper if you shop around but to save a couple of bucks wasn't worth the effort when I needed the clamps. I bought a spare for my miscellaneous bits and pieces box in case I ever had another fail but with these clamps its unlikely. They're serious duty and 100% SS.

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    2013 X25 W Gen2 FAE system

I worked with Larry at FAE to come up with a way to attach the FAE pipe directly on top of the existing exhaust flanges. I just removed the flaps and three screws from each flange applied a bead of 5200 and screwed it on. Very well attached to the boat no movement at all and the platform will still fold fully down.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DavidF
    replied
    Originally posted by MC25 View Post
    The way I see it, the attitude of taking any kind of ownership in the boat or anything they choose to share with me is more so a pro than a con. I treat anything they choose to share with me as my own and it shows. I buy the gas, oil, all of the stereo, and whatever cleaning materials need it. Needless to say, I do my best to play my part to show appreciation in a boat that costs half as much as my first house will be.

Many children these days take the stance of "its not mine" to things they dont pay for, whether that be boats, cars, phones etc and use, abuse and put it away wet. My parents appreciate it, and if it was an issue with how I perceive it I'm sure they would let me know.
    I though it was Aric's boat too, the fact that it's his dad's makes no difference to me, Aric is always helpful, if not funny as sh!t on this board, and it's appreciated by this old man! Kudos to you buddy!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X