Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May have found a savior S&S

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • May have found a savior S&S

    So as some of you may have previously read, I found out I had dry rot in the stringers of my 1983 Stars and Stripes. Well after the daily craigslist grind, I happened to stumble upon this deal: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/5505223490.html

    I'll hopefully be able to check it out as soon as I hear back from the owner and be able to see if it is worth forking over the chunk of cash. Though, ~400 hours seems odd for a boat of its age. Ill keep this thread updated on what I find!

  • #2
    Hope that goes well for ya. I'd be weary of the fact that the hour meter dosent work. Kind of strange the pictures he chose to sell the boat don't really show the condition also.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

    -Blake

    Comment


    • #3
      true - might be worth a looksy if it's not too far away. And he's right, the trailer alone is worth something - probably closer to $1500 is my guess. Not sure what permanent tags are...
      08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Unless the speedos and dash have been changed out, it's probably not an 85

        Comment


        • #5
          Stringer rot!! Check it over good. ANY mushy or soft spots will double the price on that boat.
          -Tim

          Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

          Comment


          • #6
            '85???

            Originally posted by sethro View Post
            Unless the speedos and dash have been changed out, it's probably not an 85
            I contacted this seller last week. I told him the dash pic indicated an '83 or older S&S. He said he was not sure of the year and said all the paper work was at the lake house. Beware, it may be similar to what you already have. BTW didn't you determine that you had fiberglass construction in your current boat?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tph View Post
              I contacted this seller last week. I told him the dash pic indicated an '83 or older S&S. He said he was not sure of the year and said all the paper work was at the lake house. Beware, it may be similar to what you already have. BTW didn't you determine that you had fiberglass construction in your current boat?
              Later in the thread I updated. I drilled unto the stringer and wet wood came out so I discovered the harsh truth. Great to know about the dash! Last I spoke with the guy he said someone was buying it midday today. Haven't heard from him since so my guess is that it has sold.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Czechmate View Post
                Later in the thread I updated. I drilled unto the stringer and wet wood came out so I discovered the harsh truth. Great to know about the dash! Last I spoke with the guy he said someone was buying it midday today. Haven't heard from him since so my guess is that it has sold.
                I wouldn't worry too much about that one getting gone, it was cheap, but could have also had a lot of issues! Seems like there was someone on here that had an 84-85 s&s for sale not too long ago...?

                Why not just put new stringers in yours? Sure, it would be a pain, but at least you'd know what you have!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
                  I wouldn't worry too much about that one getting gone, it was cheap, but could have also had a lot of issues! Seems like there was someone on here that had an 84-85 s&s for sale not too long ago...?

                  Why not just put new stringers in yours? Sure, it would be a pain, but at least you'd know what you have!
                  Well current situation just wouldn't allow it. It would be too expensive to have it done, and I do not have the ability (time, location) to do it myself right now. My plan is to part my current boat out and to pick up another S&S. Now that I have a much much better idea of what a quality boat is, I trust myself more to find a solid one. Found a couple S&Ss. The only one I think may be worth it is the powerslot in chatsworth, CA, but only (as waterlogged stated) if he put a marine carb back on the thing. Can't find much else at the moment
                  Last edited by Czechmate; 03-27-2016, 01:05 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Czechmate View Post
                    Well current situation just wouldn't allow it. It would be too expensive to have it done, and I do not have the ability (time, location) to do it myself right now. My plan is to part my current boat out and to pick up another S&S. Now that I have a much much better idea of what a quality boat is, I trust myself more to find a solid one. Found a couple S&Ss. The only one I think may be worth it is the powerslot in chatsworth, CA, but only (as waterlogged stated) if he put a marine carb back on the thing. Can't find much else at the moment
                    Shoot, if that's the only thing holding you back, buy the boat! A brand new carb can be had for 600 bucks or less and any older boat will likely need the carb rebuilt and if it doesn't already have a 4160 that'll be your best bet anyways! I think I remember the boat you speak of. I remember it being nice! Go for it!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      https://stockton.craigslist.org/boa/5521809798.html

                      Well here is another that I'm trying to hop on as quickly as possible. TPH, HANDS OFF haha. Seems like you and I check out the same boats on a day to day basis. I'm hoping to check it out sometime this week. From the looks of it, it's a nice nice boat and the fact it is potentially one owner is even more intriguing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        "Less than 10,000 hours" LOL
                        It's a power-slot too. Check that rear tracking fin; it looks a little bent to the Port?
                        Seeing that makes me miss my S&S so bad. They are great boats but the wife wanted the bow rider!
                        $4,990 would be a steal for that boat in this part of the country.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Czechmate View Post
                          https://stockton.craigslist.org/boa/5521809798.html

                          Well here is another that I'm trying to hop on as quickly as possible. TPH, HANDS OFF haha. Seems like you and I check out the same boats on a day to day basis. I'm hoping to check it out sometime this week. From the looks of it, it's a nice nice boat and the fact it is potentially one owner is even more intriguing.
                          Looks very interesting. If they still have the original carb, I would be interested in it. Sellers usually throw that stuff in when asked.
                          CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                          sigpic

                          CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

                          $125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                          REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                          REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                          Email - [email protected]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Already someone has claimed stake and will be checking it out tomorrow evening. My goodness it's cutthroat on the west coast for these boats. Hopefully I can catch a break and the guy is a no show or decides not to buy it, I wanna at least go see the thing!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Olaff View Post
                              "Less than 10,000 hours" LOL
                              It's a power-slot too. Check that rear tracking fin; it looks a little bent to the Port?
                              Seeing that makes me miss my S&S so bad. They are great boats but the wife wanted the bow rider!
                              $4,990 would be a steal for that boat in this part of the country.

                              I thought the same thing! I think he got confused with the x10 minute number, and thought it was an hour instead. And wow, how the heck did you see that in those pics? (The slight bend) I mean it could be an illusion, but good eyes!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X