Fake A Lake vs 5 gal Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake A Lake vs 5 gal Bucket

Getting ready to change my oil and trans fluid in the boat this weekend, I will not be taking it to the lake to have it warmed up before hand. I do have a hand pump to pump oil out but I was curious on everyones home made 5 gal bucket set up for warming the boat up... Also any pics of where you would hook this up on a 351 would be great!

Or will the hand pump get everything out? Thanks all

Not sure on pump getting all the oil out. My 351 has a plug extension so I can drain through the hull drain. No need for warming up for that, does take a while to drain though, maybe 30 minutes for all five quarts.

I know a lot of folks use the pumps and like them a lot, and that will be much easier on a warm engine, basically three ways to do so.
    1- fake a lake, this is what I have, used it once and seems to work well. Just be careful it doesn't lose suction to the bottom of boat. And no revving the engine.
    2- disconnect inlet from the through hull pick up and connect straight to water hose. This was my previous method on my previous boat, don't have to worry about losing connection but still no revving.
    3- use a bucket and place hose directly in it, with this method, you can rev the engine because you can build an abundance of water. But of course a lot of revving will drain your water supply.

Comment

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=44490
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

you probably could get away with just taking off you intake hose and placing it in the bucket with a garden hose in it but if you want to get fancy a couple people made some really nice homemade ones

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=46244&page=5
        Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
          2- disconnect inlet from the through hull pick up and connect straight to water hose. This was my previous method on my previous boat, don't have to worry about losing connection but still no revving.

This is what I do every time I change fluids...just hook up the garden hose and run as normal.
          Troy

Comment

After watching a few videos looks like I would make a fitting to run water out of the bucket into this part of the pump correct?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, but make your connection before the trans cooler. That way, when winterizing, it will be covered also.

Comment

Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
                Yes, but make your connection before the trans cooler. That way, when winterizing, it will be covered also.
                Are you saying connect the water hose on the other side of this house? I believe I've seen it hooked here as well
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes right there. On my 190 I had a tee there I could attach a garden hose to.
                  On my V drive I just unhook the intake hose and shove a garden hose in it.
                  Lots of opinions on this but in a couple boats and several houses with horrible to great water pressure this has worked fine.
                  Remember the engine isn't under load and will not overheat immediately so as long as there's some water going thru the water jackets and manifolds it's safe IMO.
                  '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

this is as bad as an oil discussion.... idling my 350 sucks this bucket down on under 30 seconds... prolly ok to run on a hose if you have good pressure.... and it's your motor
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                      this is as bad as an oil discussion.... idling my 350 sucks this bucket down on under 30 seconds... prolly ok to run on a hose if you have good pressure.... and it's your motor
                      .........and your hose isn't kinked.
                      CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                      sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                      REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                      REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                      Email - [email protected]

Comment

I had a hose running into a bucket and mine still sucked it dry.

Comment

So, when you guys winterize with the bucket method...do you drain the block and manifolds first to be sure, or do you just let it suck up five gallons of antifreeze and call but a day? I have always drained everything manually, but I am curious of your experience.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
                            So, when you guys winterize with the bucket method...do you drain the block and manifolds first to be sure, or do you just let it suck up five gallons of antifreeze and call but a day? I have always drained everything manually, but I am curious of your experience.

I drain everything before putting the antifreeze into the bucket for winterizing.
                            CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                            sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                            REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                            REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                            Email - [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post

Yes, drain then antifreeze. And I might be pushing it close, but I always use one gallon of conventional mixed 50/50 which ends up being two gallons. It's always blowing out the exhaust when it's empty which means everything it covered.

And for what it's worth, when I run mine on the garden hose, it's from a well and has tons of pressure. I think I've measured it at 10 gallons per minute before. More than needed for idle, but will start starving for water if idled up to 1500rpm. Anything under that is good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X