Questions about a 1982 MC S&S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about a 1982 MC S&S

I'm currently looking at a nice 82 S&S with the deluxe interior. It has a few things that I have some questions about. The rear seat is really small, so does anyone know where I could get one styled like the 83 and up? The front lookout seat top pad snaps on, so is there any way to mount the front seat backrest like the 83 and up? Also, are the 82 style windshields ok as far as reliability or should I try to change it to an 83 and up style? Correct me, if I'm wrong, that the 82 model hull is the same as the newer style 83-85? If not, what are some of the other differences? Thanks in advance!

You'll have a hard time finding a back seat, as for the observers seat, I think you would have to cut fiberglass to make it like a newer style and I wouldn't recommend that. That is if course me thinking they are the same as a 79 I have been around. You may be able to just add a piano hinge though. I think 82 had two different styles of windshields, round and square. I'm assuming this one has the round, as long as it's in good shape it should be fine, think they're fairly hard to find a replacement. Luck up and find a parts boat or possibly have one custom made.

Look up the mastercraft project on Facebook, I hear that's the king for info the older MCs.

Main thing I would be concerned with is the condition of the stringers, and if they have been replaced, was it done correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
      You'll have a hard time finding a back seat, as for the observers seat, I think you would have to cut fiberglass to make it like a newer style and I wouldn't recommend that. That is if course me thinking they are the same as a 79 I have been around. You may be able to just add a piano hinge though. I think 82 had two different styles of windshields, round and square. I'm assuming this one has the round, as long as it's in good shape it should be fine, think they're fairly hard to find a replacement. Luck up and find a parts boat or possibly have one custom made.

Look up the mastercraft project on Facebook, I hear that's the king for info the older MCs.

Main thing I would be concerned with is the condition of the stringers, and if they have been replaced, was it done correctly...
      Thanks for the info. I wonder, if there's anyone that custom builds the rear seats? One of biggest reasons for me wanting this particular one is that the guy has owned it a long time and it's really nice. The main reason though is that it has a Chrysler 360 installed as a factory option. I'm a Mopar guy and either wanted to find one already installed or buy one from between 83-85 and swap the 351 out for a marine 340 or 360. I think it'd be cool and different. So, do you think that it'd be better to tackle the interior or just buy a newer one and swap the motor? I wonder, if the trans will bolt up to a Chrysler though? Also, can't the stringers be changed out to the newer style and fiber glassed in by a body man?

Comment

A good interior guy can build a seat, that shouldn't be a problem.

If it's what you want, I say buy it. To me, it would mean more to know the engine is an original option.

If it's been well kept, the stringers are likely solid, but I would make sure. Yes they can be replaced, but it's a major fix. Engine, transmission, and floor need to be removed. Just in case you may not know, the stringers are the "frame" of the boat that the engine and transmission are bolted to. They went to all fiberglass construction mid 1983, so some 83s will be wood also.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRacer0125 View Post
          I'm currently looking at a nice 82 S&S with the deluxe interior. It has a few things that I have some questions about. The rear seat is really small, so does anyone know where I could get one styled like the 83 and up? The front lookout seat top pad snaps on, so is there any way to mount the front seat backrest like the 83 and up? Also, are the 82 style windshields ok as far as reliability or should I try to change it to an 83 and up style? Correct me, if I'm wrong, that the 82 model hull is the same as the newer style 83-85? If not, what are some of the other differences? Thanks in advance!
          I'll share what little I know. Take it or leave it.

I've had all of the above, some more than one in a particular year model. The 82 I had was a deluxe package powerslot and the rear seat is the same size and style as the 83, 84, 85s that I have owned. I would be interested in seeing a picture of what you describe as a smaller rear seat.

Me personally.. I'd not have a Chrysler anything unless is spit out multiple $100 bills every time I turned the key. The Ford Windsor is bulletproof. Each to their own....

The 82 deluxe interior does not snap on across the top. You may have a late 81 build stamped as an 82. The seat in mine was on a flat hinge, and under deck storage..no bulkhead.

This 82 windshield is square and not the sleeker, rounded windshield (as is the 81 and earlier). Most came this way for that production year. What do you consider or compare as unreliable about the windshield? I have crawled all over the top and around these things for years. Still do. They are solid or I am just lucky.

The 82 has a teak fold-down rear view mirror. Only year that was produced.

First year of the dash pod.

The 82 year make is a 19 Skier model in lieu of S&S model. The only S&S that I know is an option for 1993.

82 - 85 is the same hull as far as I know. They have a great low speed wake for tricking. The 86 is the same aside from some that say differently. 86 was merely a transition year for re-tooling and stickers.

I suspect you may not have the deluxe 82. Here is one that I owned in 82 / OEM build. I bought it as a demo with 90 hours on it.

I'll have a new 81 for sale soon. New stringers, floor, carpet, etc. and all the internals that go with restoration. Better than factory build and priced to sell when it is done. Doing all the work myself with pictures. Nothing major about stringers. Just willingness and patience.

See the deluxe 82 for yourself...

Attached Files
          Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-01-2016, 07:00 PM.
          93 190
          (safe click)
          John 14:6
          (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRacer0125 View Post
            My 82's interior (deluxe) and windshield were pretty much identical to my 83.As the other poster said the 82 had the wooden flip up mirror. My 82 didn't have a drink holder (that I remember) my 83 did. The back seat while very similar to the 83 was different. It had an aluminum bracket (4") that held a vinyl covered bottom rail 3"X1" in place that the seat rested on. It helped the seat have a little angle so the passenger was leaning back. The 83's back seat just plopped in like an 84-85. I've seen the older snap in seat backs on 82's (same as earlier years, along with the round windshield and older dash pod. I also had a padded motor box (contoured).

Comment

Thank ya'll for all the info! That's a sweet 82 waterlogged882! Our 85 that my grandfather bought new had a 351W and it was flawless. I just want something different. I'm pretty good with making a Mopar engine run smoother and more efficient. Here are some pics. It may be an 81 and the owner is just confused on the year.
              Attached Files

Comment

Also, how hard do y'all think it would be to change out a 351 in an 83-85 with the fiberglass stringers? Is it just the manifolds that are different? Will the trans mount up? Who could I contact to find out what would need to be done to do it? I may be better off to buy an 85 and do the swap. Plus, I'd really rather have a marine 340 in it, as they perform better and more efficient to me than a marine 360 any day.

Comment

That boat looks very similar to the 81 my father just picked up, although his has the 351. Ours has the same windshield, the same dash, with the dual humps for the Airguides, same mirror, and the snap on seat back for the observers seat. Not sure if yours is like this, but the backrest of our back seat snaps in similar to the observers seat and the bottom portion just sits on the floor.

Interesting how with the Chrysler, the exhaust runs inside of the stringers, where with our 351, they run outside of them.

I am still learning about the boat myself, and am always looking to gain some more knowledge!
                  1989 Tristar 190 - Indmar 351, 250HP, 1:1, 580 hours

Comment

That could very well be an 82, they have two different windshield/interior set ups in that year.

Not sure about swapping engines, I would think it could be done easily. Even if the bolt pattern is different, you could swap bell housings. Then, like you said, the manifolds.

I could see it getting expensive buying all that stuff, so it may be better to buy the one you're looking at. Especially if it's well kept.

Comment

Originally posted by damaged442 View Post
                      That boat looks very similar to the 81 my father just picked up, although his has the 351. Ours has the same windshield, the same dash, with the dual humps for the Airguides, same mirror, and the snap on seat back for the observers seat. Not sure if yours is like this, but the backrest of our back seat snaps in similar to the observers seat and the bottom portion just sits on the floor.

Interesting how with the Chrysler, the exhaust runs inside of the stringers, where with our 351, they run outside of them.

I am still learning about the boat myself, and am always looking to gain some more knowledge!
                      I'm thinking maybe a late 81 or very early 82 myself. It's very odd how the exhaust do seem different. You'd think that they'd be routed the same. I checked on some manifolds and they'll run around $500 plus or minus.

Comment

Originally posted by paco_06 View Post
                        That could very well be an 82, they have two different windshield/interior set ups in that year.

Not sure about swapping engines, I would think it could be done easily. Even if the bolt pattern is different, you could swap bell housings. Then, like you said, the manifolds.

I could see it getting expensive buying all that stuff, so it may be better to buy the one you're looking at. Especially if it's well kept.
                        It may be an early 82, because someone else told me the same. I figured that the bell housing might need changing. I wonder, if borg warner would know? Since they supposedly built the transmissions back then for MC. I just wonder how/if the motor mounts will line up.

Comment

"Me personally.. I'd not have a Chrysler anything unless is spit out multiple $100 bills every time I turned the key. The Ford Windsor is bulletproof. Each to their own...."

That is funny stuff there... Was thinking it myself when I read your post...

Oh well?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoph68 View Post
                            "Me personally.. I'd not have a Chrysler anything unless is spit out multiple $100 bills every time I turned the key. The Ford Windsor is bulletproof. Each to their own...."

That is funny stuff there... Was thinking it myself when I read your post...

Oh well?
                            I was thinking the same honestly, because I've never had a problem with any Chrysler product that I've owned. I currently have three dodge trucks from different years and they run perfect. The gas mileage is actually better on them than everyone claims. They have plenty of power and run like a sowing machine. I'm a Mopar guy and I love them.

Comment

My only real concern with the Mopar would be that they're hard to find and so would expect the same to be true of marinized parts.
                              I spent most of my money on booze, broads and boats. The rest I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
                              I had always thought that there was nothing quite so sad as an abandoned boat.-Terry Hayes

Comment

Working...
                              X