Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spare Parts to Have on Hand

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spare Parts to Have on Hand

    So I learned the hard way over the weekend that you should never read the fuel gauge on my new to me 06 X-45 while underway. It resulted in running out of gas on my way back to the marina (5 miles away). We got that handled without too much trouble.

    So now I've read that running out of gas can damage the fuel pump. Mine seams to still work just fine, but I'm contemplating taking a spare with me on the week long trips to Lake Powell.

    My question for everyone is: What spare parts would you make sure to have on hand for an Indmar 8.1, and what is your priority?

    I already plan to have a spare impeller, prop, bilge pump and ballast impellers. After that, I would probably include a serpentine belt and maybe some hot water hoses along with various hose clamps.

    Should a fuel pump and the tools to change it now be on my list? What is on your list?

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by djnord View Post
    So I learned the hard way over the weekend that you should never read the fuel gauge on my new to me 06 X-45 while underway. It resulted in running out of gas on my way back to the marina (5 miles away). We got that handled without too much trouble.

    So now I've read that running out of gas can damage the fuel pump. Mine seams to still work just fine, but I'm contemplating taking a spare with me on the week long trips to Lake Powell.

    My question for everyone is: What spare parts would you make sure to have on hand for an Indmar 8.1, and what is your priority?

    I already plan to have a spare impeller, prop, bilge pump and ballast impellers. After that, I would probably include a serpentine belt and maybe some hot water hoses along with various hose clamps.

    Should a fuel pump and the tools to change it now be on my list? What is on your list?

    Thanks!
    I am going to pay close attention to this thread.

    Comment


    • #3
      Should I ask the question a different way?

      What has resulted in you being dead in the water that was a relatively simple repair?

      Maybe I'm just paranoid after owning my 1987 Supra for so long. It was a great boat, but still had occasional issues.

      Are our boats so reliable that these things don't go wrong?

      Comment


      • #4
        I think you should just get another 06 x45 and bring it along that way you will have all kinds of parts to pick from....

        But seriously.. you just need to go over it good before you go, make sure you have enough fuel and or carry some extra if needed... and have a good time... you just don't know what will quit when... my only thing would be an extra motor belt.. if you have a new impeller and you carry a spare you have most of it covered.. if your alternator goes out you can get by without tunes.. the rest is just guessing... fuel pump and tools ? change the fuel filter for sure though before you go...

        have fun!

        Comment


        • #5
          Dead in the water

          Originally posted by djnord View Post
          Should I ask the question a different way?

          What has resulted in you being dead in the water that was a relatively simple repair?

          Maybe I'm just paranoid after owning my 1987 Supra for so long. It was a great boat, but still had occasional issues.

          Are our boats so reliable that these things don't go wrong?
          Dead in the water from a damn bad kill switch.
          Love my boat, hate my trailer.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would add couple spark plugs with the 8.1 as your engine.
            CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

            2000 Mastercraft Xstar
            2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
            2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
            99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
            88 2001 Nautique

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by curver900 View Post
              I think you should just get another 06 x45 and bring it along that way you will have all kinds of parts to pick from....

              But seriously.. you just need to go over it good before you go, make sure you have enough fuel and or carry some extra if needed... and have a good time... you just don't know what will quit when... my only thing would be an extra motor belt.. if you have a new impeller and you carry a spare you have most of it covered.. if your alternator goes out you can get by without tunes.. the rest is just guessing... fuel pump and tools ? change the fuel filter for sure though before you go...

              have fun!
              I love your first suggestion, but if I'm taking two, one will be the smallest direct drive I can get away with. Then when the 45 struggles, I'll just switch over and enjoy the slalom wakes that I miss. Thanks for your thoughts.

              Comment


              • #8
                I never boat without this kit!! I put it together a while back and the second season of boating the pump went out. Took about an hour to change it out on the water.

                If you have ran your boat out of gas or low on gas it's only a matter of time.
                Attached Files
                -Tim

                Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks CantRepeat! That's exactly what I'm worried about and what I'm considering being prepared for. One hour on the water is better than 4 towing hours from a marina and a ruined week. Any other "kits" you have needed?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Probably not an option for everyone, but always have all of my Diacom cables, codemate and yes a small laptop with me.

                    I also carry a little breathalyzer too.
                    Attached Files
                    -Tim

                    Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Impeller, drive belt (learned the hard way this Sunday), any common fuses, volt meter, electrical tape.
                      13 Super Air Nautique 230
                      03 Super Air Nautique TE 210 - Sold
                      88 Mastercraft TriStar 220 - Sold

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                        I also carry a little breathalyzer too.
                        I wouldn't put too much trust in one of those... I was playing around with one while out with friends and it was all over the place.

                        As far as the initial question goes, preventative maintenance. The gear you have is good. I will not be diagnosing a spark plug issue while on the water.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dhanni848 View Post
                          Impeller, drive belt (learned the hard way this Sunday), any common fuses, volt meter, electrical tape.
                          +1 Impeller...I've changed two on the water now

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kjohnson View Post
                            Dead in the water from a damn bad kill switch.
                            Been there. I cut my kill switch wires and put male and female ends underneath so if it goes again I just unplug it and hot wire it until I can get a new kill switch.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              For Me:
                              Small & Large Hose Clamp
                              Impeller (Its an old one from my annual replacement)
                              Main Belt (and Wrench to loosen belt) (Again its an old one from a replacement)
                              Bilge Pump (maybe over the top)
                              Bulb for my incandescent anchor light (I use my boat in the dark often)
                              All of the usual tools: screwdrivers, wrenches, electrical tape, zip ties, flashlight
                              Fuel line remover tool (left over from my pump going out)
                              Knock sensor (for some reason i go through these every 3 years or so)
                              Extra key hidden somewhere (took half a day of vacation to drive to the nearest dealer to get a replacement)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X