a heads up for the wake surfers out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a heads up for the wake surfers out there

i know a lot of you know but some dont, and make your kids aware if they take your boats out often with friends. on the older boats not really setup for wake surfing you get exhaust gases coming up behind the boat running so slow, and with everyone on the back of the boats and on the platforms trying to get the biggest wave to ride it will create a "draft" scenario and pull the carbon monoxide right up into your face if your facing backwards.
    the reason im posting this is my daughter and her friends were out teaching others to wake surf on a friends boat, we had tried on ours but i noticed right away the exhaust fumes were coming up and we stopped( im a hot rodder so i smell things...lol), anyway, she got to feeling dizzy and just kind of turned around and crawled back up in the boat, when she got there she blacked out, her friend that was back there stood up and blacked out and fell off the boat, and moving 8-10 mph, no one had a vest on, everyone knowing she was a good swimmer just waited a few seconds for her to pop back up, well she didnt and everyone immediately jumped in looking, their screams woke my daughter up and she seen what was going on and grabbed a vest and dove in as well. they couldnt find her.
    she ended up drowning. she was 16. i post this in the hopes that everyone will make their young ones know of dangers associated with engines and exhaust as related to boats and not to expose themselves to it for long periods of time. also I've now made it mandatory on my boat if your outside the passenger area you have a vest on.

i feel if my daughter had stood up instead of crawling back in the boat she may have met the same end, and its hard enough to deal with death of her friend as it is, much less had it been her.

hope this will help someone out, as loosing a child is very hard on the parents and loved ones and friends.

God bless.

http://www.wect.com/story/32603701/f...-lake-waccamaw

Such a sad and scary story. Thanks for sharing for the benefit of the hardcore surfers. Prayers to all involved, especially your daughter.
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
    1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

That is beyond scary. Condolences to the family.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. It is a terrible loss, but your post could save some lives.
        '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

So sorry for this loss. Our sincere condolences to everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to share this sad story with the board. It is an invaluable reminder to stay vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh man, my heart aches for all involved. All of us here love being on/in/around the water so much and get great joy from it. This is a sobering reminder of what can happen if we aren't paying the utmost attention to what's going on while out there.

Thanks for sharing, prayers sent up for the family and everyone else involved.
            Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

2002 X Star
            Sold - 76 S&S

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. That is such a terrible story.

Thank you for sharing during what must be very difficult times for your family. Hopefully this message will save someone's life in the future
              - Andrew

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
              2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)

Comment

OMG ... So sorry for this tragic event ... Thoughts and prayers go out

Comment

Man Sorry to hear that. That is crazy.

Comment

Very sorry to hear. I know it is a difficult time as a close friend lost their child a few weeks ago, non water related. Hopefully your post and her story will be shared and can save others from the same horrible tragedy.

Comment

Wow, so very sad.
                      ¡Viva 205V!
                      2003 X2 MCX

Comment

This is a truly tragic story to read. Unfortunately this is a reality with wake surfing older boats. It is something you will never be able to forget. Unless you have ever been through it you will never understand the pain of being involved with a death on the water. I have and I am truly sorry for what you are dealing with. Not a day has gone by where I don't think about the night I helped pull a decreased man from the water. I wish you, your family and all involved the best of luck in dealing with the loss. I truly am sorry

Comment

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers for you and your friends family.

Comment

That is very sad. Our condolences. You are very honorable in sharing this story to help save others. Thank you and our prayers for the family as they battle this tough time.

Comment

thanks everyone, its been hard on my daughter but she is dealing with it very well, they had a bunch of counselors at the church that all the kids attended weds. night and it was a full church, probably 3-400 people there, she touched a lot of lives for sure. i just hope it will shed some light on the dangers out there.

i have seen some chrome 90* elbows on some boats that point down and would have the exhaust in the water unless your running really fast, i think i may look into some of those for mine and for the other owners that wake surf there so they can have a look at them. the kids were on a '12 moomba mobius i think is the name.....with mine being carbed i could tell it right off, but with the EFI boats running so clean, its hard to pick the smell up sometimes.

i hope this helps someone out and can prevent another tragedy like this one.

be safe out there everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                              X