Questions about a 86 MC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about a 86 MC

I've been looking at a couple of boats and I have a question. I'm about set on getting another 85 instead of a 91-94. I love the responsive and light hull that the 85 has. I have a few more reasons, but that's the major one. What's the major difference in the 86 versus the 85? I've read info on the differences, but I want some owner/previous owner experience. I've been told to stay clear of a 87-90, but the 86 is supposed to have a similar lower hull to the 87-90. What's all of your opinions on this?
    1985 MC
    28.00%
    1986 MC
    16.00%
    91-94 or another
    56.00%

The poll is expired.

I voted '85 as that is what we had new as a kid and always loved the last yr for the Stars and Stripes which everyone seems to love. The '86 I believe has the same hull like you said but you better like rainbows as the look is quite polarizing. People either love them or hate them. I used to hate the look as a kid but it has definitely grown on me over the years. Love that hull so I don't think you can go wrong with an '85 or '86 and it's classic look. Never cared for the late 80s or early 90s boat looks or interior design.
    XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
    SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
    SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
    SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

From a creature comfort, handling of waves/wakes, and skiing the 91-4 has it.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRacer0125 View Post
        ............ I'm about set on getting another 85 instead of a 91-94. I love the responsive and light hull that the 85 has. I have a few more reasons, but that's the major one.
        ^^ This ^^
        You won't find a better handling hull. The 91-94 era is barelyclose to the handling responsiveness of the 85 (era) hull.

The 86 will be the same as the 85.

That said, the 91-94 era is a bit larger in a few dimensions and handles differently, but I am OK with that era too. You just have to push the 93 a little harder for responsiveness (in turns).

All that said, the 205 is there again completely different. It pushes hard through a turn...does not respond near the 93 or the 85.

I'd not be hesitant to own an 86 based on your requirements.

93 190
        (safe click)
        John 14:6
        (safe click)

Comment

Had the pleasure of riding around and behind my neighbor's 85 S&S this past summer. What a treat. Everything was as remembered nostalgically: the rumble of the 351, nimbleness of the small craft, very slight swim platform only large enough to put on the slalom stick, only driver and observer seat, S&S classic graphics, closed bow, and a whisper of a slalom wake. So cool. If you want a dedicated slalom tug, do the 85-86, or something more versatile, the 91-94.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Very little difference other than graphics. I like the '86 as it is the only year with rainbow graphics. The stars were on 8-9 straight years. Very fun boats!

Comment

I can also see having both an 85 and a 94.

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
                Had the pleasure of riding around and behind my neighbor's 85 S&S this past summer. What a treat. Everything was as remembered nostalgically: the rumble of the 351, nimbleness of the small craft, very slight swim platform only large enough to put on the slalom stick, only driver and observer seat, S&S classic graphics, closed bow, and a whisper of a slalom wake. So cool. If you want a dedicated slalom tug, do the 85-86, or something more versatile, the 91-94.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweet ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I voted 91-94 ...prefer 94 , I have owned all three and as of now have an 86 , the 94 has more room and better wake for skiing plus fuel injection . And yes , I hated the rainbow on the 86 at first but after using it a few times it grows on you , I think it looks better sitting in the water than sitting on the trailer . If you do get into short line skiing you will get some spray from the boat with the 85 past 22 off . I am no expert by far but I have been told that the 86 has same top deck as the 85 but the same hull as an 87 .

Comment

Get the one you like the looks of the best. All very similar handling boats. Water logged nailed it!

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was just told that the 87-90 style hull is a little tougher on the motor and it's a little underpowered. That's why I wondered, if the 86 hull was the same. I was told that the 87-90 had more "drag" based on the hull design, if that's the correct word to use.

Comment

I've owned a 1985 S&S and now own a 92 PS205.
                        As far as ski wakes, the 91-94 PS wins hands down (even in 205 size), especially if dealing with prop wash/hump from a power slot. I still ski behind a '85 on a reg basis.
                        The S&S is way cooler, sounds meaner and handles like a go-cart. It's a driver's boat. Skis great, but gives up a lot of comfort from the later generation tugs. The '85 was a cracker box in rough water, the PS205 is only a bit better. Just my opinion.

Comment

Power could be a whole 'nother animal.
                          I don't have an 85-6;

88 ps190 351W Ford 1:1 13x13 vs 94 ps190 350 Chevy 1:1 13x13

The 94 I have to more purposefully give it throttle pulling up a skier compared to the 88 - I think the 88 despite having marginally less ponies is lighter. I personally don't think I'd need an LT-1 or a slot trans in either boat - but I don't pull footers, have heavy family members, and am on a lake that's large enough that its rare to have enough calm water to spend any real time full bore.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                            Power could be a whole 'nother animal.
                            I don't have an 85-6;

88 ps190 351W Ford 1:1 13x13 vs 94 ps190 350 Chevy 1:1 13x13

The 94 I have to more purposefully give it throttle pulling up a skier compared to the 88 - I think the 88 despite having marginally less ponies is lighter. I personally don't think I'd need an LT-1 or a slot trans in either boat - but I don't pull footers, have heavy family members, and am on a lake that's large enough that its rare to have enough calm water to spend any real time full bore.
                            Our 85 would pull footers no problem with the 351 and 1:1. It'd literally pull you out of skis, if you wanted it to. Haha

Comment

See I think the 94 would easily also.

Last footer I pulled was with the 88, and his folks had an earlier 80's stars and stripes that wouldn't pull him footing anymore.

I think the boat had 2000+ hours and some glass work done, either way they said it struggled to pull past the high 30's.

would be very cool to do a side by side acceleration of the different generations of ps190's to see how they each do.

Comment

Working...
                              X