1999 Master Maristar 230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Master Maristar 230

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and need some help. This past summer I bought a 99 Mastercraft Maristar 230vrs that we have absolutely loved. We spend most of our time surfing, however we have been unable to get our wake perfected. I have 2 400lb fat sacs, and 1 1100lb bag. In addition I build a version of suc gate that has made it very tall, probably 4'+ height but just not enough push. We have been able to stay in the wake with an 8' Walden mini magic but anything smaller you have to really work it, and if you slip up for a second your out of the wake. I also have a 5'0" fish that I bought from a mastercraft proshop. I'm not too sure what our next step should be for surfing, maybe a new board? I attached a picture that you can kind of see our wake with 400 lb in each locker and 1100 on the deck with a suc gate, the picture doesn't do much justice, its pushing 4' tall but like I said just no real push. Also, I should add I'm 5'11" and about 175 lbs

I think the picture is attached here
    Attached Files

Comment

And heres the boat
      Attached Files

Comment

Just as a test Next time look at the platform and see if it flattening out or cutting into any wake coming up. Sometimes they can tend to flatten or cut the wake a little. Might need to be Raised a little and tell the guy to sit on what ever side the suck gate is on

Comment

Do you mean the swimstep platform? It is usually a couple inches above the wake

Comment

I would start out with more weight. Replace those 400s with 750s (or more if your storage compartments will take it). There is no replacement for displacement. Suck gate will help, but weight is still king. Also try different speeds. Speed will change wake length and push, so don't be afraid to go lower than you thought, or faster. Anything from 9 to 12mph.

Comment

I'll be following this with interest. I have the same boat. Currently running 1100 in each locker, 350 KGB and 750 in the bow. I'm dealing with a similar issue. See here -> LINK
              I haven't had a chance to check the swim platform, that's first on the list when we get the boat out next time.
              rbuss4 and dvsone79 both suggested I try without bow weight- as above, next time I can get the boat out. I was thinking about adding bags under the side seats.
              I recall reading these boats like a lot of weight, so I need to round up a few friends and see what I can accomplish moving them around. You might try that too- get a bunch of buddies to go out with you and just move weight around the boat and try to get more push that way.
              G

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into getting some bigger bags, but the 400s almost completely fill the lockers, gweaver your lockers must be huge because theres no way to fit 1100 in mine! I have had the 2 400s and the 1100 on the deck with around 12-1400 lbs in passengers and the wake gets taller but still no real push. We spend a lot of time trying different combos and speeds last summer, determined to get it this summer!

Comment

Also, does anyone have any experience with those 5'0" fish boards that most mastercraft shops will sell to you as a beginner board? I'm still wondering if I should look into another board aswell... Thanks again!

Comment

kliston7 - Do you still have the stock tanks? I removed mine when putting the 1100s in. The bags fit, but when full, there's almost no extra space. I'm using Fly High bags -> LINK
                    FWIW, even though the bags are huge, I've always figured that I don't have to fill them all the way. That's one way to retain a little space.
                    G

Comment

gweaver- I don't have plumbed ballasts, just the sacks, I'm using the fly high ones aswell... when the 400s are full the completely take up the square footage of the compartments, and maybe another foot from the top...

Comment

I haven't checked the dimensions, but I'm guessing that my bags will take up that extra foot, and maybe add a couple of inches on length and width. Easiest thing to do would be give Wakemakers a call, tell them what you have and go from there. Or measure your lockers to get an idea of what will fit. Pretty sure you can put 750s in there with no problem, then maybe use the 400s on the floor?
                        I'm still trying to figure my boat out, so I'm probably not a great resource.
                        G

Comment

Haha we're learning together... I love this boat but it definitely isn't ideal for surfing... Yeah I know my 400s compared to my 1100 is a huge different. I will give them a call, I think I could fit 750s in there aswell...
                          Another general question, if you guys had to recommend a board for a beginner/intermediate with a sub-par wake, what would it be?

Comment

Looks fast, check your speed against gps on a smartphone. Slow up to see if that helps with push. Good luck

Comment

While we have a 210 instead of a 230 we love surfing behind ours. We have 750's in rear lockers, a ski locker sac, and a 500 lb in bow. We use Bet_on_Blacks suck gate. Speed varies. Hope you get her dialed in.

Comment

Working...
                              X