New to me 1994 Prostar 205 with LT1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 1994 Prostar 205 with LT1

This site has been an awesome resource in my boat search! I just picked I up today and brought it back to Michigan. May try to ski tomorrow as it's going to be in the mid 60's...unheard of in February.

I have a list of questions I was hoping to have some help in answering. Thanks in advance.

1. This boat (until yesterday) has not run in 3 years. What maintenance do you recommend I have done? It does have a new fuel filter and impeller.

2. The bottom of the boat seems to be resting on the keel roller. My 95 190 did not do this and there was space between the boat and the roller. Is this normal for the 205 or does this need to be corrected?

3. I am thinking about replacing all the decals. I used to have a 94 190 with the exact same color scheme. I don't recall the decals have a little white around the edges. The new one has this and it looks like wax build up but it's actually the decal. Would I be best off working with my local dealer on this or is there somewhere I can get these decals?

4. Where is a good place to get the MC trailer guide bumpers?

5. Where is the best place to get matching registration number stickers?

6. Last one, where could I locate MC cover? I think about 12 years ago I got one from [email protected]

Thank you for your advice!
    Attached Files

1. I would run through it like you were winterizing it. Plugs, filters, etc. here is the link to the LT-1 winterization page.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51183

Take a look at the two files. One is a check list for all the parts and local part numbers. The second is a check list. Lots of chatter in the following pages, but the first post is all you need. There are some pictures deeper into the thread.

Since you are trying to make up for unknown maintenance and not running for 3 years, I would go through this completely. If you are running it soon you could skip the fill and drain steps. The rest are just basic maintenance I would want to do before firing up an engine that say for 3 years. This does not bode well for skiing tomorrow though.

2. My 1996 does not touch the roller when on the trailer. Different boat model year though.

3. MC locked down the reproduction of the decals. Dealers will be about useless. Someone on here will probably have a source.

4. Google them. Some eBay. Some scored some from dealers.

5. I imagine you will have to get someone to custom make the decals as they are out of print. So who ever makes you stickers from question 3 will be a good source.

6. Many on here with the older pro stars like the cover sports covers. They have the old boat patterns and ship from WA. Brent is his name I believe. No poles, straps go on the back. Tow with it. Price was great compared to custom local. Not too many on here using the vintage !C covers anymore. They have moved on to other types I believe.
    sigpic1996 Prostar 205 LT-1

Comment

Here is how the cover straps down. Only 5 straps and one rope around the edge.
      Attached Files
      sigpic1996 Prostar 205 LT-1

Comment

Nice ride.
        Not sure where you are, but many are happy w skiboatcovers.com. They are in or near flint. My neighbor had one custom made and it was nice. Get a waterline cover.
        I used a place in Oakland county a few years back and regret it big time.
        Tempting as it is I would be cautious to take a new boat out tomorrow. If something goes wrong, not many other boats out and most dnr docks are not in either.
        Flip side - skiing in feb would be cool. In multiple ways.
        More pics too.

Comment

I bought what appeared to be stock 1994 decals from Ebay last spring for about $100 for the entire set, including the Fuel Injection decals. Easy to install and have held up well through the first season anyway.

Nice looking boat. Where did it come from and how did you find a willing seller in February?

Comment

Congrats on picking up a sweet ride.

What is wrong with the old cover??
            If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
            1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Sweet ride and congrats!

We have the same boat and it's awesome (less the color difference)!

Yes, my front part of boat does touch the lower roller and is normal.

I'd go through and change engine oil with Mobil Synthetic 20w-50 and Mobil Synthetic Tranny fluid. New plugs, both thermostats and impeller.

Maybe change plug wires too.

I'd keep the cover for now until you get use to it....if it's working now. New covers are $600+ and I just priced them out due to my tarp being damaged. I'm just fixing mine for $75 and running with it.

If you don't have PP, I'd put it on your short list. Try and find a used module 6.5ng and then buy new gauge, wires and servo cable unit.
                - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

x2 on the Coversports cover. Brent can be a little hard to communicate with, but his covers are awesome (I've had 2). He worked for Rankin for years before going on his own.

Comment

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ght=boat+cover

Boat cover price thread.
                    - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone! I gambled and took it out tonight and it ran like a top! Broke my old skiing record too. February 22nd in Michigan is unheard of!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Titanic View Post
                        I bought what appeared to be stock 1994 decals from Ebay last spring for about $100 for the entire set, including the Fuel Injection decals. Easy to install and have held up well through the first season anyway.

Nice looking boat. Where did it come from and how did you find a willing seller in February?
                        I found it in St. Louis using ski-it-again. I jumped on it the day I saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                          Congrats on picking up a sweet ride.

What is wrong with the old cover??
                          You know.....I suppose there really isn't anything wrong with the current cover. I guess I just like the original look. I am glad you asked. My fussiness sometimes gets the best of me.

Comment

That's awesome! Looks like I will still have ice on the lake for a while, considering people were still snowmobiling on it last weekend...

Wish I could be skiing right now!
                            1989 Tristar 190 - Indmar 351, 250HP, 1:1, 580 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Rbrower190 View Post
                              You know.....I suppose there really isn't anything wrong with the current cover. I guess I just like the original look. I am glad you asked. My fussiness sometimes gets the best of me.
                              So its not the original cover? My question was selfish because my old cover got somewhat destroyed this past winter and if you planned to replace it, I would offer to take the old one, depending on condition.

Good for you getting out! Its supposed to be in the 70's here tomorrow!!
                              If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
                              1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                              X