Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Maristar 200VRS

Hey guys-

Just looked at a 1995 Maristar 200VRS...

There are a couple questions I've got for the experts.

1. The prop essentially will not turn with hand pressure. Like it's "in gear" for lack of a better term. I thought the prop should turn relatively easily?

2. The prop has been into something and I'd either like to repair it or replace it, anyoke have any suggestions on a prop?

3. There is a "crinkleing" noise from the honeycomb sub-flooring. Is this normal?

4. The sundeck strut motor is toast. Does anyone have a part number for a replacement?
    Last edited by BellyUpFish; 06-17-2017, 11:54 PM.

1. This can have several causes. It may not have been used in a while, causing it to freeze up. Get it in water and run it. The packing seal is lubricated by water. The other possibility is the packing nut is too tight.

2. What transmission does it have?

That's all I can answer.

Comment

Did you buy this boat or just looking at it?
      - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Originally posted by Ski-me View Post
        Did you buy this boat or just looking at it?
        Just looking at it with intentions to buy, at the moment.

The prop thing threw me for a loop after reading about direct drives and how they should free spin.

This is a V-drive though and it seems like many don't free spin all that easily. Most seem to take a little pressure to turn.
        Last edited by BellyUpFish; 06-18-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I've had boats where the prop turns fairly freely and others that are really tight. Depends on the boat.

One thing I'd recommend would be to have the engine alignment checked by a good shop. It's not a bad idea if the boat's ever hit something and would give you a good starting point going forward. If you're mechanically inclined this is something you could do yourself and there is a procedure listed to do it somewhere on this site.

Comment

I have the exact boat. With the correct engine alignment and a good strut bushing, the prop should turn with just one hand. As others have said, if the bushing is dried out it could be hard to turn. Look at both ends of the bushing and check for cracks in the rubber. Also make sure there is no uneven wear on either side of the bushing indicating a poor engine alignment. You may just have to grab it with 2 hands and break it free.

The boat is an average family ski boat, but there are a few negatives to consider:

The Euro swim platform is useless IMO. It is too small and a PITA to get out of the water, and almost impossible to use it for putting on skis or a wakeboard without banging up the fiberglass sides. Put the boat in the water and you will see what I mean.

My 95 porpoises over 30 MPH when there are more than 3 or 4 people in the boat. There is no hook in the transom, so the bow wants to ride high. The porpoising gets worse if people sit in the bow.

If you plan to ski a lot and have guests, the center mounted pylon will cause you to lose the rear seating. My boat came with no pylon so I installed my own behind the rear seat like most other V-drives. If the boat has a tower, then no problem.
            “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

The Euro swim platform is useless IMO. It is too small and a PITA to get out of the water, and almost impossible to use it for putting on skis or a wakeboard without banging up the fiberglass sides. Put the boat in the water and you will see what I mean.
              Well, kinda odd but, I don't ski or wakeboard anymore. We wound up on this venture looking for another boat to go play on. Basically something to let the kids get wet. Wife wants a pool, I don't want to do pool duty for the next 40 years, so I was "Let's get a boat.."

Soooo.... here we are.. I would like to try and surf, but I won't be wakeboarding or skiing.

My 95 porpoises over 30 MPH when there are more than 3 or 4 people in the boat. There is no hook in the transom, so the bow wants to ride high. The porpoising gets worse if people sit in the bow.
              I've read a little about this. Maybe a single trim tab, between the exhausts would sort this out?

If you plan to ski a lot and have guests, the center mounted pylon will cause you to lose the rear seating. My boat came with no pylon so I installed my own behind the rear seat like most other V-drives. If the boat has a tower, then no problem.
              The boat I'm looking at has a tower.

Comment

I bought a trim tab and was going to mount it and make it a fixed tab once I got it dialed in, but I just can't bring myself to drill holes below the water line. I've got a few posts about my nylon strip that I glued to the hull that "fixed" the problem.
                “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post
                  I bought a trim tab and was going to mount it and make it a fixed tab once I got it dialed in, but I just can't bring myself to drill holes below the water line. I've got a few posts about my nylon strip that I glued to the hull that "fixed" the problem.
                  I watched a YouTube video where a guy mentioned some glue he though would hold without screws. I have no experience with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by ahhudgins View Post
                    I've got a few posts about my nylon strip that I glued to the hull that "fixed" the problem.
                    Any pictures of this?

Comment

Originally posted by fannin View Post
                      Any pictures of this?
                      Had to do a search to find some, but I know there are more. I cut a piece of nylon down to a wedge with a 3/16 trailing edge. I used "Goop" to glue it to the hull and then spread a little over the leading edge because I couldn't get it to lay perfectly flat. The original one went the entire width of the transom, but I have recently shorted it. Someone else posted the metal one on the S&S (screwed on). It takes very little wedge to make a big change.

It's been on there for several years now, but if it ever falls off I guess I will install the trim tab sitting in the basement.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X