Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 XT23 questions

Hello All -

We are considering ordering a 2018 XT23 and have some questions/thoughts that I would like some input on.

1) 5500gdi vs the 6000gdi - has anybody test drove and compared them? The XT23 that we drove had the 5000mdi in it and I thought it was decent. I would definitely upgrade to at least the 5500 but I am seriously considering going to the 6000 but not sure if it's necessary. Also, anybody have one yet and what type of GPH are you getting?

2) Hydraullic Steering - I have built the boat 1,000,000 times and keep seeing the hydraulic steering option. Is this for the saltwater package only? Does it make turning the boat any better? Or is it strictly eliminating the cable system around saltwater. The one we test drove was a little tight steering wise. I thought maybe with the dockstar handling would be a little better but instead it almost seemed tighter.

3) With the new dual screen dash does anybody know if there are manual switches as well? What would happen if you were out at night and the screens went out? Would you still be able to turn on your lights? blower? pumps? etc? (We test drove a '17 and we are waiting to see the actual '18 dash setup). The '17 dash seems to be the nicer of the years.

Thanks for your help.

I opted for the 6000 GDI on our '17 XT23 and definitely don't regret it. I'm always a proponent of getting the largest power plant possible.

On the steering, we have the standard steering with Dockstar and I feel it's perfect from a feel standpoint. Not too loose and not too tight. I would go the same way again.

Can't speak to the dash as that's all new for '18.

Overall it's been a great boat so far for our young family as we get our girls into all the water sports.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbrad79 View Post
      I opted for the 6000 GDI on our '17 XT23 and definitely don't regret it. I'm always a proponent of getting the largest power plant possible.

On the steering, we have the standard steering with Dockstar and I feel it's perfect from a feel standpoint. Not too loose and not too tight. I would go the same way again.

Can't speak to the dash as that's all new for '18.

Overall it's been a great boat so far for our young family as we get our girls into all the water sports.
      What kind of gph are you at with the 6000. Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things but just curious. Our daughters are 10 and 12. One likes to slalom and one likes to wakeboard.

Comment

We have a 15 x30 with 6.2L and 1100lb added bags in each rear locker. It pulls big slalom skiers outta the hole and can run full surf ballast with 14+ crew no issues.

+1 to biggest power plant you can afford. Yes autolaunch helps but the old adage is still true about displacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an 18 X23. There are manual switches to the right of the big 12in screen. On an XT23 I don't think the 6.2L 6000 engine is needed. We had an X30 which is virtually the same boat as the XT23 and even with 3000lbs of ballast the 5.7L engine did just fine surfing with people in the boat. It's always nice to have the extra power so if money isn't an issue do the 6.2L, is it needed though? I don't think so. As far as the steering I don't think the hydraulic is needed. It's on our X23 but I could live without it too.
          Ryan
          www.DDWPartners.com
          Porsches and toys and stuff....

Comment

here is a nice review of the xt23. they review the screens and manual switches for a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy2IWJEqsm4

Comment

I have been running the xt23 with the 5500 I have been super impressed. I will often run it wakeboarding full ballast plus 800 extra LBS in bags and 10 people and had no issues planing with the stock prop (autolaunch on). I have a torque prop but have been running stock because the fuel economy on this engine is nuts. Im not sure what the fuel usage looks like between the 5500 and the 6000 but my 2017 xt23 with the 5500 blows the door off of the x10 I had last season with the 5.7. We have a few customers who are running the 6000 and love it but it comes with a hefty price tag.
              JP

2014 Mastercraft X30 MV8 6.0 Gen2
              2013 Mastercraft X10 MV8 5.7 Gen1
              2012 Mastercraft X2 MV8 5.7 Gen1 PnP Ballast
              and the list goes on...

Comment

I have the 6000 in my XT23. It's a lot of motor for this boat and I love it. I'm burning around 4.5 GPH thus far. I also have standard steering with dockstar. Very pleased with handling. Awesome boat!

Comment

We have a 15 x30 with the 5.7. The 6.2 is the same motor just larger bore. I've driven moose's boat and mine almost back to back. The extra power is nice. Very nice. Necessary no. But if we were going to slalom we would take his boat for sure. I'm hopeful to pick up a s&s to ski leaving me nothing to want for on the water.

My perspective is the 30/xt23 is not a ski boat and we surf board and occasionally tube the kids. The 5.7 has been great. Would I trade my x30 for another x30 with a larger engine. No I wouldn't. Don't lack power at all.

If I was playing substantially above sea level that may change things up but at 2100' above its no problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by gt23 View Post
                    We have a 15 x30 with the 5.7. The 6.2 is the same motor just larger bore. I've driven moose's boat and mine almost back to back. The extra power is nice. Very nice. Necessary no. But if we were going to slalom we would take his boat for sure. I'm hopeful to pick up a s&s to ski leaving me nothing to want for on the water.

My perspective is the 30/xt23 is not a ski boat and we surf board and occasionally tube the kids. The 5.7 has been great. Would I trade my x30 for another x30 with a larger engine. No I wouldn't. Don't lack power at all.

If I was playing substantially above sea level that may change things up but at 2100' above its no problem at all.

JFYI the 5.7 and 6.2 are not the same motor. The 5.7 is the old cast iron 350chev
                    The 6.2 is the new generation LS motor. Completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    SLALOM EVERYDAY

Comment

Originally posted by Fox197 View Post
                      JFYI the 5.7 and 6.2 are not the same motor. The 5.7 is the old cast iron 350chev
                      The 6.2 is the new generation LS motor. Completely different.

Perhaps you're correct. A quick call to ilmor will confirm for me. Just thought it was the case.

Comment

Perhaps you're correct. A quick call to ilmor will confirm for me. Just thought it was the case.

Fox is right GT.

I have the 6.2. It is considerably lighter than the 5.7 due to the block, from memory 70 or 80kg.

Comment

Wasn't being a smartass either brother✌🏼✌🏼 Just happen to have rebuilt about 8 350s for cars and another 10 or so LS motors when I worked for Holden.

SLALOM EVERYDAY

Comment

The way I understand it is the 5000mdi is the old style 5.7L. The 5500gdi is the new style LS 5.3L.

I would assume once the stock of the 5.7s has been depleted they will fade away and the 5500gdi will become the standard engine.

Based on what I test drove, I would need the 5500 at a minimum as I occasionally like to barefoot (37-38mph). The 5000 that we test drove topped out at 37mph. The dealer said the 5500 would get me 42ish and the 6000 would get me maybe 43ish. I am going to test drive an '18 with the 5500 in a few weeks. I suppose I could mess with the prop but not sure I want to go down that road.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Comment

The 5.7 in our stock propped X30 got me over 40mph. Weird you only hit 37
                              Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                              Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                              For Sale:
                              2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Working...
                              X