Overwhelmed by these new boats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwhelmed by these new boats!

Currently own a 2006 Malibu VRide (please don't stop reading just because of that). It has been great boat for us. Have had no trouble with the boat at all, which is why it's hard for me to part with it. When I bought it, I was in to wakeboarding. Now I'm old and beat up, and tried this wakesurfing. I absolutely suck, but I'm hooked on it. Seems like I'm not really going to be able to make my boat a great surf boat, so I just listed it for sale. Seems like it's not going to be a problem selling it.
    I checked out a NXT22 at the dealer, because I can't drop $100k+ on a boat, and stayed married. Seems really nice. Going to demo it Wednesday. I know I'm not supposed to mention other boats, but just for background, my dealer sells moomba, and they have been good to me. The sales guy is cool, and he showed me the craz. That seems nice too. I can't really tell the difference, but he says the moomba vinyl and fit and finish will be nicer than the nxt22.
    Basically I just want a very reliable boat, that will give me the same trouble free years of use I got from the Malibu. I know mastercraft is high end brand, but not sure if the nxt line uses the same stuff that the higher end models use. Im not going to be in the X Games anytime soon, so as much as I would appreciate a great wake, it's not going to make or break the deal.
    How do you guys like your NXTs? Would anyone pick moomba over a nxt? Another option I was looking at is a used x25. But I see they discontinued that model, so not sure if there were problems with it.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

You probably just need more weight. my buddies sunsetter DD mad a nice wake with about 4K of weight.

Comment

Welcome to Teamtalk. While most views on this forum will be biased, you should get some good insight. Moomba has come a long way and builds a nice product. IMO, you may get a few more bells and whistles on a Moomba, but like everything else, when you get something, you generally have to give up something else. Things like the stereo may be "better" (more tower speakers, amps and larger subs) and "raptor motors" are part of the flash on other price point boats. That does not offset the structural build of the boat that will impact its long term quality. Like you , I could not justify breaking the 100k mark for a toy. My NXT 22 is my 4th MasterCraft and my favorite so far. I too am a retired (aka old) wakeboarder and have turned to surfing. The NXT 22 surfs well and with some extra weight, either passengers or other, it surfs REALLY well. It is SOOO nice just to flip 3 ballast switches, fill her up and set the surf tabs and go. Also nice to switch sides with the flip of a switch. It handles rough water great and is roomy and has tons of storage. Good luck on your search and I would see if you can find a 2-3 year old Moomba and a 2-3 year old NXT with similar hours and see how they have both held up over time. Everything looks good in the showroom

Do you NEED a new boat to surf NO. Will it be more convenient and comfortable, yes.
      Last edited by SteveO; 08-14-2017, 10:29 PM.
      2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

There were no problems with the X25. MC just changed their numbering schemes to keep things fresh.
        We defy the mafia!

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
          You probably just need more weight. my buddies sunsetter DD mad a nice wake with about 4K of weight.
          I agree. I would research the forums I can guarantee someone has a vride set up nice for surf. Being overwhelmed by the prices is an understatement. You don't need a new boat to surf.

Comment

I own an nxt20 so let me give you some insite. If you look at all three brands side by side. You may get a little more from one vs another. However the quality of the build for the nxt line is great. When I bought mine the dealer told us the vinyl is just left over from last year's stock. Also the 2018 tower on the nxt line is one of best upgraded they did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for info. I definitely see the "bling" factor on some of these boats. It almost seems like they selling the gadgets more than the quality of the boat sometimes. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards the NXT line. I don't need or want all the fancy tech stuff, touch screens, cameras, wrist bands, etc... one of the reasons I think my boat has held up so well is because theres not much to go wrong, with all the analog stuff on it. I think there's something to be said for: simple but reliable.

Comment

Make sure you surf behind each boat before buying and validate your opinions with others who have the same boat. My x10 surfs very well - with an extra fat sac of 750lb on the floor it is even better/amazing. Maybe you get a used x10? Or the nxt seems to have pretty good reviews. Try them out - if you are not a good surfer take someone with you who is so you can see what is possible....

Comment

For those that said I don't need a new boat, you just made my wife's panties drop.
                  I just figure if I upgrade now, i will probably be set for the long term. The way these boats are going up in $$, I'm going to be priced out of the market sooner than later.

Comment

I owned a 2009 24 Supra and nearly bought a 2017 Craze off the floor before ordering the a NXT. Beyond the fact that it was on the showroom floor I liked the look, audio and the Ford engine a lot. I loved my 24 and the Moomba was familiar. My wife sat in the Moomba and called my attention to the comfort of the seats.... the tread depth of the seats along the gunnel is narrow. In her eyes it was a show stopper and after planting my *** in both boats several times we chose the MC. It came down to this one aspect for me.

Comment

We have a 2017 NXT22 and very impressed with fit and finish. We came from several Bryant's which you may not have heard of just because of there limited production run would compare them to Cobalt which is a top notch brand.

Looked hard at Moomba as they also where similarly priced as the NXT line. Why I chose our NXT:
                      * The Mastercraft name.
                      * More storage areas than any of the Moomba models.
                      * Not sure of warranty with Moomba but MC is a complete 5 year warranty.
                      * Built on same line as all other Mastercrafts yes its their "value line" with same or similar components, same engine etc as their 100k+ boats.
                      * The 2017 & earlier towers are their weak spot. I like ours just heavy & awkward to raise & lower. With the 2018 tower this to me is a home run!

D

Comment

drop $1500 on your current boat and make your own automated surfgate with the wakelogic controller and it will be a whole different experience. my boat is almost 20 years older than your vride and it surfs great now that i've installed my own version of a surfgate.

Comment

Just bought an NXT20 and have around 20 hours on it already. My wife had never surfed before and dropped the rope on the second day. This was with NXT surf system option and nothing extra. The reason we went new was due to the convenience, my wife had a hard no on any extra bags on the seats or floor. Future upgrades will be 675# bags(instead of the 400s) in the back and some lead up front but we run with a nice crew so they are proving to be great ballast that chips in for gas 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a great thread. I am a Skiers Choice fan, currently have a Supra SA and previously had a Moomba LSV. Both are great, the Moomba line has come a long way and I would consider selling my SA for the new Max that was just released. Besides Moomba and NXT look at MB, Supreme, Tige R series. Coming from a Malibu maybe even look at Axis. If you compare all price point boats you will find one you love over the rest. I like you want the best bang for my dollar and will demo any boat that makes my short list when it comes time to replace my Supra.

My buddy has a X9, for a DD it surfs well, looks great and has really held up over the 11 years he's owned it. The only thing I do not like about it is the tower wobbles. I personally learned how to ski behind a Stars and Stripes.

Comment

Its nice to hear everyone is happy with their NXT boats. It doesn't receive as much love on some of the other threads on this site.
                              I did check out the Axis line, mainly because I was hoping it would be like my boat. I was told my VRide series became Axis. But the inside was very different. I get its a budget boat, and I'm not expecting it to be a $120k LSV, but I just did not care for the fit and finish. My boat was a budget boat, but it "feels" very nice inside. My vinyl and carpet feel high end. I did not get the same feeling in the axis. I almost get the impression I would be taking a step backwards, comfort wise. There were no hinged seats for storage, and the "chillax" seat kept getting stuck while I was playing with it. Im not bashing the boat. For the price compared to the malibus, its a nice boat. I personally thought it handled extremely well. Just couldn't get over the cold feel to it inside. Thats obviously just my personal opinion and does not represent the majority, since they are selling pretty well.
                              I looked in to that wake logic surf system, but that looks waaaaay beyond my skill level to install. If I could find a dealer that installed them, I would definitely give it a try. I currently use the swell wake shaper. Seems to do the job cleaning up the wave, maybe I just need more weight like you guys recommend. I would love to get this wave dialed in. It would save me a ton of cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X