black hull -- thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black hull -- thoughts

I am looking at few boats. some have a black hull. Whats the general consensus of having a black hull?
    for the guys that have a black hull --- does it show water spots easy?
    harder or easier to take care of, etc.....
    on and off the trailer will it effect the black hull where it rubs black off??

looking for pros and cons.

i have few boats i am looking at and some have white hulls and others with black hulls.

thanks for advice
    moski

I have black on my boat, not the hull and would not have black again. Hard to keep clean, looks great when it's clean and waxed, but plan on cleaning after every outing.

Comment

i had one on my '08 X14 ... loved it ... waxed it twice a year, wash it each weekend and it looked great!

Comment

Mine is a white hull with a black streak from above the rub rail down the sides - it is easier to care for white boats because you dont' see the spots - but then again the white hulls are spotted - so if you want to clean them it can be harder to see the filth.

Comment

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ighlight=black

lotsa talk on this thread about black

Comment

I've had both....Black is much easier to keep clean. My current boat is both black bull and black top, would do it again if i was ordering a new one.

Comment

Last boat had a white hull with a thick black stripe. Even that much was too much for me and I won't do it again. It shows the water spots and any imperfection. Surprisingly the dark navy stripe on my current one although dark doesn't show anywhere near as much. I spent a lot of extra time wiping down the black and working on it with the DA buffer with various products.

The white part of the hull although harder to clean doesn't show and overall has been much less maintenance.

As for the pro it does look sexy as hell when it's glossed up but IMO not worth it.

Originally posted by moski View Post
              I am looking at few boats. some have a black hull. Whats the general consensus of having a black hull?
              for the guys that have a black hull --- does it show water spots easy?
              harder or easier to take care of, etc.....
              on and off the trailer will it effect the black hull where it rubs black off??

looking for pros and cons.

i have few boats i am looking at and some have white hulls and others with black hulls.

thanks for advice
              moski

Comment

Owning a black boat is like owning a black car, only its as if it rains every time you use the black boat.

I know lots of people that own black cars and swear by them. Most of them don't detail or care if it isn't looking it's best. My sister for example hardly ever even washed hers and then told everyone how easy a black car was to take care of. What I heard was how easy it was to take care of as long as you had low standards on how it looked.

As long as you don't need a very detailed boat all the time they're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                  I've had both....Black is much easier to keep clean. My current boat is both black bull and black top, would do it again if i was ordering a new one.
                  This, ^^^ Have black, love black and no way going back to a white hull that easily shows discoloring. If you get black just be ready for all the compliments and questions about it wherever you go!

It's more about being lazy than someone having low standards when it comes to boat care. Our last boat was all white and got wiped down on the lift after each use even if it was 3 times a day. So it doesn't matter if it's black or white as I keep our boat spotless no matter what the color and love the black so much more. If someone is lazy with low standards then honestly get a yellow boat so it will help hide spots and mask any hull bottom yellowing and skip a white boat all together.
                  Last edited by SS LS1; 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM.
                  XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
                  SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
                  SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
                  SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

I have a Black hull and med blue. I use Hot Sauce and clean frequently wax one a year. The only negative I have is the scratches are very noticeable as you can tell 6-8 year holds not to bump the hull with skis, boards etc but it will happen if you USE your boat..

Comment

I have lots of black on my boat. I wipe it down with Babe's after every use, and it always looks great. It's just as easy to keep clean as all the red on my boat.

Comment

I've had white and currently have black. I love the black. Looks great and lots of compliments.

We wax it spring and fall with Collinite 870.

Like others have said, just wipe it down and use a detailer like 303 Marine Speed Detailer or Hot Sauce to keep it shiny. Every time we put the boat on the trailer, passengers wipe it down with the semi-dry towels we've been using. Then I spray the boat with detailer while they wipe/rub it on with clean micro-fiber cloths.

I've removed the flame decals so there's even more black now and she just looks sharp.
                        Attached Files
                        2004 X-30 5.7L MCX

Comment

I have a dark blue (navy) boat, (hull, sides. liner). Hot as h3!! without the carpet, but easy to keep clean with the right products, fresh water wash down, towel dry, chase the spots with boat bling something or other and hit it with body gloss. Sits in the garage uncovered to air out. Everyone has a different care level, I (like many) prefer a spot free exterior. Not too difficult to achieve with the right products. Now if I can keep the grass from blowing in every time the door is opened that would be great.
                          https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
                          1988 prostar 190 SOLD
                          2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

One more thing. If you get a black trailer, don't forget to wipe it down and spray it with a detailer as well.
                            2004 X-30 5.7L MCX

Comment

My X7 is all black upper and lower- NEVER AGAIN. If you are fastidious it will drive you "crazy"!

Comment

Working...
                              X