Fugly 2007 X2 or older X30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jesam View Post
    Agree. No way I could spend hard earned money on that boat.
    The prevailing thought I've gotten in this thread is that yes, some, maybe a majority think it is pretty bad BUT if I get it cheap enough I can put in a brand new interior and make it look stock and increase the value. a 25K boat with a 5K interior would be worth 30-35K in my research locally. It seems like it would be hard to lose out too much money.

And, as others have said, I could roll with it for a year and test the waters to sell or reupholster it if I don't like it.

Comment

Is the x-30 considerably more roomy? I know it is rated for 12 and the x2 is 11. But there is a 3' difference in the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by kscrib View Post
        The ability to predict the future decisions/actions of your children would be very helpful here. I can see both sides of the conversations that you and your wife have.

What I have seen in my many years of boating, is that families the make the effort to boat frequently and do the things the kids like often, successfully instill the love of boating in their kids. My parents did it for me. And we have done it for our son. Our son drives 250 miles one way every weekend of the summer from college to come boating with us. We started him boating around 9 years of age. We did things he loved (tubing, coving) - and made it fun for him. Yes, we tubed - a lot. We let him learn at his speed (did not force him to try things he was not comfortable with). We strongly encouraged bringing his friends. It paid off for us!

Some kids don't love the water. Ours always loved to swim from age 6 weeks on), so that made the water part easy.

Our first boat was an '06 X-30. It was fantastic. We used it for 10 years and my wife dang near cried when we sold it. The X30 has tons of storage. You can surf behind it (even without gen 2 or after market ballast). It holds lots of people and is very comfortable. It is a fabulous all purpose family boat.
        Exactly! Much of my childhood, my dad and I dreamed of getting a boat. It finally happened for us when I was 14. Now it wasn't a MC, just an 18' I/O, but it was a boat. All through high school and college, my family was on the water nearly every weekend. Now having my own family now, prompted me to do the same. I strongly encourage my kids to try new things, but wont force it till they say they are ready. My hope is that as my kids get older, they'll look back and cherish the good times we spent on the water.
        Joe

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Comment

Originally posted by wakesurf6786 View Post
          Is the x-30 considerably more roomy? I know it is rated for 12 and the x2 is 11. But there is a 3' difference in the boat.
          3 extra feet is a LOT of extra room in a boat, and it also means extra storage. Extra storage is essential, especially when you bring another family of 4-5 with you. Consider extra coolers, extra lifejackets, extra bags of towels, etc. It adds up fast.

FWIW -- we rarely go out on the water as a family of 5 -- we almost always have another family with us -- meaning there's usually 10-12 people in the boat. Extra room was mandatory for me.

Comment

Originally posted by osmonet View Post
            Well said by the fellow Maple Grove Guy!!!
            Osmonet -- you live in Maple Grove as well? Small world!

Comment

Originally posted by Eckie View Post
              Osmonet -- you live in Maple Grove as well? Small world!

Yes. The great white north. Give me a PM if you're looking to get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Green is an unlucky boat color. Hope that helps.

Comment

Well... I happen to know that boat is no longer for sale...

Ask me how I know? (i.e. It's even uglier up close in person...)
                  2007 X2 current
                  2001 Malibu Sunsetter (sold)
                  1996 Moomba Boomerang (sold)

Comment

Haha, did you go check it out last week? The salesman texted me again about if I was interested but then said someone came by and put a deposit on it later that day. I was wondering who got it.

Comment

Originally posted by 350x2 View Post
                      Well... I happen to know that boat is no longer for sale...

Ask me how I know? (i.e. It's even uglier up close in person...)

Haha, did you go check it out last week? The salesman texted me again about if I was interested but then said someone came by and put a deposit on it later that day. I was wondering who got it.

Comment

Ya... I think it was Tuesday last week. I didn’t pick it up until today though. I am planning on pulling the wrap off next week, my hope is that the original gel coat is still in decent condition. Then I’ll get the interior re-done. If I can do all that for less than $5k I’ll be happy. If the gel coat is in bad condition I may have to wrap it again in a more normal color. Not what I want to do though.

Did you end up picking up a boat?
                        2007 X2 current

Comment

Ya... I think it was Tuesday last week. I didn’t pick it up until today though. I am planning on pulling the wrap off next week, my hope is that the original gel coat is still in decent condition. Then I’ll get the interior re-done. If I can do all that for less than $5k I’ll be happy. If the gel coat is in bad condition I may have to wrap it again in a more normal color. Not what I want to do though.

Did you end up picking up a boat?
                          Not yet, going to test drive an older 99 Maristar 230 later this month. My wife and I decided a lower price point and more room were more desirable for our family. Mainly roominess. I gotta know though, did you find the boat through my post or did you just happen upon it after you bought it? I'm dying, lol.

I hope the gel is great. Like others have said, if the gels good with a new interior it's a low 30's boat I think.

Comment

No, I’ve been searching all fall for a boat. I almost bought a few boats that I have been looking at, but when I went to see them they were too rough. I found this one on Craigslist here in Atlanta where I live. It wasn’t until I came on here last Saturday looking for recommendations for upholstery shops that the Fugly X2 thread caught my eye. I just new when I saw that thread title it had to be the same boat!

Good luck with the Maristar, I have a buddy who has a ‘95 and it has been a great boat for him.
                            2007 X2 current

Comment

No, I’ve been searching all fall for a boat. I almost bought a few boats that I have been looking at, but when I went to see them they were too rough. I found this one on Craigslist here in Atlanta where I live. It wasn’t until I came on here last Saturday looking for recommendations for upholstery shops that the Fugly X2 thread caught my eye. I just new when I saw that thread title it had to be the same boat!

Good luck with the Maristar, I have a buddy who has a ‘95 and it has been a great boat for him.
                              Man, I'm really excited to see how your X2 turns out! I'm glad to hear your buddy likes the Maristar, we think we will love the 230 we are looking at too.

Please post a couple before and after pics of the restoration ! We want to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by wakesurf6786 View Post
                                Man, I'm really excited to see how your X2 turns out! I'm glad to hear your buddy likes the Maristar, we think we will love the 230 we are looking at too.

Please post a couple before and after pics of the restoration ! We want to see it!
                                If you end up picking up the 230, don't forget to post a ton of pictures in the Maristar thread!
                                Tim
                                2021 Lone Star MasterBash
                                Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                                1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                                1995 MC ProStar 205
                                ISO MC 205V/XStar, X2

Comment

Working...
                                X