Lake Conroe Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Conroe Experts

Thinking of making a friend/family trip to Lake Conroe, TX next season. I am hoping to get some information on:

Is it good water for wake/ski?

Riding conditions?

Best areas to ride?

Which areas to avoid?

Riding on unknown water can be a little nerve racking.

I think VRBO will meet my needs for finding a place but I am more than willing to listen if anyone has suggestions.
    2004 MariStar 230 VRS with X Package
    Come find us on 'da Bayou

As with most texas lakes you have to watch out for stumps and sand bars. If i remember correctly, we used to ride the arm of the lake directly northwest of 1097. There was a good channel along the south shore, with stumps in the middle and north. And dont go too far up the arm, it gets shallow. Id check to make sure things are back to normal after the flooding....ramps may be closed...
    2006 MasterCraft XStar
    2006 MasterCraft X1 - Sold
    2003 Sevylor Caravelle 7' 6"

Comment

A lot of sea walls make it a washing machine on weekends!
      2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

I live in the Del Lago Cove of Lake Conroe and am very familiar with it. On most days in the Summer it is unskiable. All the $hi+heads in the SAN's and X45's pulling tubes in addition to the entire lake south of the 1097 bridge being bulkhead/seawall makes it a choppy mess. It's OK for surfing as it has some 30' deep coves. Wakeboarding, skiing, kneeboarding; only at sunrise on a Tuesday morning. Any other time and it's hammered. If you go North of the 1097 many of the banks are still natural, so they absorb the wakes instead of reflecting them. The cove mentioned above, first one on the left going North past the 1097 bridge is your best bet for really smooth water. Depending on wind and crowd factor, the Del Lago Cove and the cove that runs North and South on the East side just North of the Dam can be workable. Hit me up if you decide to make a trip of it.

Comment

Had to laugh at Olaff's comment...spot on. For some reason, our lake has become the test bed for the world championships of tubing, and every SAN I see is pulling one right through the little bit of calm water we can find. It's frustrating, and more than once we've helped them relocate. Why one needs calm water for a tube ride is beyond me. Most operate pretty recklessly, and with kids at tow, it definitely gets my attention. You can't give these folks enough room with all their crazy ivans-completely unpredictable.

The "north cove" is also known as party cove (first one on left/west past the bridge). If you continue west in this cove and past the public boat ramp, you will find plenty of excellent sights, many of which belong in the swimsuit thread (and many that would be censored). Also north of the bridge are 2 other coves we often surf on the east side-one goes to Stowaway marina (great BBQ there) and the other is a neighborhood area. Depending on the wind or traffic, we usually start there unless it's early. In addition to this, there is a cove on the east side-just north of the Lighthouse (Point Aquarius) that is also pretty good before noon as well.

In most cases, we usually plan to be finished by noon and then journey on down party cove to find someone to tie up with. That area is also heavily patrolled by the 4 different enforcement agencies on our lake, so have a plan...and as long as you're not making a spectacle of yourself, you're fine. They do not dig loud music, so I usually factor that in too...hope that helps.

Comment

Very helpful. We are trying to find a place in TX for a 4 day weekend get together with friends. Need a place that can sleep at least 10 with decent water conditions.

Open to other suggestions.

Comment

Are you going to be driving over from Louisiana?

Comment

We use to live in Sugar Land and kept our boat at lake Conroe. Try VRBO for places to stay on the water. Many will have a slip you can use but make sure the lake level is high enough to use it. After the weather they've had lately it should be full. On the weekends it is a washing machine. Ok to surf but that's about it. Up north under the bridge is some better water.
                2011 X55 6.2
                2008 X45 8.1

Comment

La Toretta resort has some condos on the water for rent that may work for you...water park for kids as well. The docks that adjoin the condos are in very poor shape, however, they may have something in the opposite cove. I'm not sure. They also have a private ramp-not affiliated with them in any way so I don't know much more. May be worth a call, but VRBO is always an option too, as suggested earlier.

Our favorite time to surf/wakeboard is fall and winter...lots less traffic, and typically calm. Wetsuits come out sometime in late November, but are not always required on nice days.

Btw...full pool on Conroe is 201, we are just a bit under that right now. www.sjra.net is best resource to check.

Comment

yes, driving over from LA

Comment

I live across the cove from La Torretta. If you decide to stay there I will let you use our private ramp. They have some good off-season deals too. The waterpark is nice, they have a crappy put-put course, some marginal tennis courts, and a decent golf course.

Comment

THANKS OLAF. Even with some of the information I think this is still our best option. I have friends coming from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio so its a good spot to all meet up under 1 roof for a long weekend on the water and not too long a haul for me from central LA.

I will get myself a map of the lake and mark it up with everyones input when the time nears and I have all the commits I need from my friends.

Comment

plan your trip for lake Livingston instead of lake Conroe. the state park has cabins or you can tent camp. much better water overall than Conroe...
                          /spĂ´rk/
                          a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

Whatever, you can hear the banjos from the water in Livingston...
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE

Comment

You might have more of a fun time chopping off your pinky finger than spending a few days at lake conroe. However 45 minutes up the road is the trinity river that dumps into lake Livingston. There is no better water to be found than the trinity river. It's a 22 mile wakeboard run and it 30-60 ft deep and always butter. It's living proof that God wants us to wakeboard. You can stay at Bethy Creek resort and leave your boat in the water every night there. Guaranteed to be the best wakeboard trip of your life. Hope this helps.

http://www.bethycreek.com

Comment

Working...
                              X