Spring Break ideas / questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Break ideas / questions

Have read a few posts on trip reviews, we are thinking Mexico trip with kids they are 16 & 18. Do not want to end up at a place with topless women, would be fine for me but my kids would not have any fun. Trying to find a family oriented place on a budget.

Also thinking about staying around Las Vegas Lake and checking out Grand Canyon / Vegas area.

I seem to drift towards water on trips, we would leave March 10 and prices are normally higher.

Will take any suggestions -

thanks

If you are looking at Mexico, Cabo is a great destination.

Comment

Isla Mujeres
      Bailey
      '02 X-9
      Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

If you are looking for island/water/sea life. Grand Cayman. We took our daughters last year (12+10) and it was really cool, especially for water sports people.

Comment

As a general rule, you won't find topless in Mexico, unless at an adults only all-inclusive. IMO, Cancun and south is all-inclusive only if I were going.

Cabo has amazing food and spring break party atmosphere and can be done AI, or preferably without. Food is too good locally to pay for AI. Last time we went, we rented a condo via AirBNB, but can be done via VRBO as well. Very affordable lodging if done that way, just make sure you are close to the marina.

If you are looking for an adventure with authentic old Mexico flair, Mazatlan is the ticket. Amazing food and culture and not a lot of tourists. Plenty of US and Canuck Ex-pats that live there year round. Do not do Mazatlan AI. My choices would be Playa Mazatlan, Pueblo Bonita, or El Cid properties. Absolute must to stay in the Golden Zone.

You can not beat the food on the Pacific side of Mexico. The water is better on the Gulf side. Water temp too cold to be in the water at Cabo over spring break. Mazatlan water is warmer.

Price range - Cancun will be highest, Cabo second and Mazatlan is cheap.

We have taken our kids to all three, from when they were late JH age through HS. They enjoyed all three locations, but probably Cabo the most (they could drink there- might have been part of it). Locations stayed = Moon Palace Cancun, Playa Mazatlan, AirBNB condo overlooking marina at Cabo.

Comment

My .02 cents? Rent a private house. No spring breakers, private pool/beach, no all inclusive no spring breakers... Then your destination almost doesnt matter.

Note: AI is a must in jamaica, dominican, and a few other places.

I would think Providenciales is pricey enough to thwart your typical idiot spring breaker.
            The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Thanks for the replies, will start researching

so if you rent a condo using VRBO do you rent a car or just take taxi to unit for Cabo

we have used VRBO but only in the states

Comment

Las Vegas

If your considering Lake Las Vegas/ Lake Mead/ Grand Canyon, be advised our water temp is upper 50s and wind can be pretty bad in the spring. Oct and Nov are near perfect with warm water, no crowds and light wind.our spring can be rough. If your a slalom junky look at Gordon Rathbones ski paradise in Acapulco. Top class.

Comment

Originally posted by RWojo View Post
                  If you are looking at Mexico, Cabo is a great destination.
                  also san jose del cabo is a great option just outside cabo proper... less of the typical spring break party scene if you want to keep the kids away from that.

ive been there a couple times and enjoyed them both (except for the the week i was there while hurricane odile hit a few years ago). its close enough to catch a cab into cabo (~20 min) but far enough away that the resorts are a lot more laid back.

Comment

As an alternate...in the states, Sanibel and Captiva Island are spectacular Water is crystal clear, sail, snorkel, dive, etc.
                    1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Originally posted by uplander View Post

so if you rent a condo using VRBO do you rent a car or just take taxi to unit for Cabo

100% just use a cab. If you want to stay in Cabo San Lucas, rent a condo at the marina. You can walk to everything needed, take a water taxi, or short cab ride. Zero need to rent a car in Cabo. FYI, a lot of the VRBO and AirBNB rentals are people's timeshares they are renting out. Our last trip was a privately owned condo. Owners were Americans.

TripAdvisor ratings and specifically the forums have outstanding information on every Mexico destination out there. Go to the forums and ask questions. Very helpful in finding exactly what you are looking for relating to just about anything.

Cabo is not a cheap destination, but you can cheapen it up by finding good deals if you are searching for them. Also, San Jose Del Cabo is much more laid back.

Comment

Foreign countries, it depends on car rental. Law enforcement in my opinion in Mexico is sketchy… Enforced as convenient. That being said, if you rent a car in MX, buy all available insurance – yes, I know it more than doubles the cost. DO NOT think that because your credit card covers you that you can use that – it’s by REIMBURSEMENT. That means YOU come up with cash money OR go to jail until you do. Trust me, cabs are cheaper, safer and easier. I’ve driven in a dozen different countries, so I feel confident in my abilities, but it’s not for everyone.

I’ve used VRBOs in Mexico, Hawaii, Cayman Brac, Pensacola, Gulf Shores, Texas coast, Belize and have yet to have a poor experience.

Originally posted by bret View Post
                        As an alternate...in the states, Sanibel and Captiva Island are spectacular Water is crystal clear, sail, snorkel, dive, etc.
                        Not going to lie, Sanibel and Captiva are amazing… Pricey for staying domestic, but super nice. Tourist trap for sure. Gorgeous beaches.

Originally posted by Loewen View Post
                        100% just use a cab.

TripAdvisor ratings and specifically the forums have outstanding information on every Mexico destination out there. Go to the forums and ask questions. Very helpful in finding exactly what you are looking for relating to just about anything.
                        +1 on the cab, and the TA forums are great, as is to search for previous threads. Your questions may already be answered.
                        The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

went to Trip Advisor, where do you find forums, do you need to join to read forums.

thanks

Comment

went to Trip Advisor, where do you find forums, do you need to join to read forums.

thanks
                            1. do a search for the destination you want.
                            2. there are links at the top: Hotels, vacation rentals, flights, restaurants...
                            3. next to "things to do" there are 3 dots ...
                            4. click that and select "travel forums"

Comment

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

Narrow it down to the city you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X