2009 csx 220 with mcx losing oil pressure not running under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 csx 220 with mcx losing oil pressure not running under load

I have an 09 csx 220 with an mcx at 800 hours. It was in storage for some time, and I bought it as a project. Boat runs fine on a hose, but under load has issuues as if it is only firing on 4 cyl or starving for fuel . It runs around 40 psi average fuel pressure, but sporadically drops to nearly nothing. Oil and filter are clean and new. I have within 5psi of185 psi across all 8 cylinders. The fuel pressure at motor seems good and the boat now has new plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. I ordered the filter sock for the fuel pump to try today, but am hoping to hear some more suggestions! Thanks for any ideas

I'm confused here.

Is it losing oil or fuel pressure or both?

40 PSI fuel pressure is too low for an MCX.

5 PSI oil pressure is too low for any engine and probably indicates a spun bearing.

You can get a loaner fuel pressure gauge or buy one from advanced auto and there is a valve on the fuel rail to check the exact pressure.
    -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

He means the difference between all 8 cylinders is 5psi... on a pressure test...

Comment

Compression test?

The structure of the wall of text has me confused.
        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

If fuel pressure is sporadically dropping id test the pump more especially with you saying it did a lot of sitting. There is also a part number somewhere for a new pump you can rewire in for the old with out having to spend 700 for a whole new drop in pump.

Comment

I'm very sorry for being confusing. The fuel pressure on the boat is fine, and the compression test on all 8 cylinders is good. The issue is it seems as if it's not running on all cylinders when you try to plane out. When this happens the oil pressure drops. I'm not sure if the oil pressure would decrease due to fuel restrictions etc?

Comment

Mine did something similar where the boat would only go about 13 mph before it would feel like it was starving for fuel. It did this a couple times before throwing a check engine light. Low and behold the problem was a bad spark plug causing the engine to go into protective mode. Maybe one of your new plugs is defective. What are your RPMs doing when you feel this loss of power while underway? Does it feel like it is limiting out at a low RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by mkivfreak View Post
                I have an 09 csx 220 with an mcx at 800 hours. It was in storage for some time, and I bought it as a project. Boat runs fine on a hose, but under load has issuues as if it is only firing on 4 cyl or starving for fuel . It runs around 40 psi average fuel pressure, but sporadically drops to nearly nothing. Oil and filter are clean and new. I have within 5psi of185 psi across all 8 cylinders. The fuel pressure at motor seems good and the boat now has new plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. I ordered the filter sock for the fuel pump to try today, but am hoping to hear some more suggestions! Thanks for any ideas
                As CR stated, please clarify exactly what you mean. I'm still confused. Did you mean to say that the oil pressure is running at 40 psi? Also, how does the fuel pressure "seem" good? Have you put a gauge on it?
                “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

with that many hours I’d replace the fuel pump and any associated filters or check the fuel lines to see if it collapsing under load ( maybe it got kinked while sitting up )

are all the wires run correctly? I have seen it happen many times if you don’t go one at a time.

I would pull all the plugs and check for proper gap and any broken insulators
                  what brand plug wires did youbuy? I’ve had housebrand wires with the ends not crimped
                  1981 MasterCraft
                  19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
                  Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

question is did it run before you made all those changes?

if the oil pressure drops the oil pump? put a manual gauge on the oil to see if it isn't the gauge or the notorious sending unit.. too many unknowns...

1. how long did it sit? 1 year 2 years? if 2 years I still stand by my drain all the gas...new fuel filter new pump new gaskets and screws with new rubber washers...
                    2. did it run fine before you changed all the parts?
                    3 what is the oil pressure at idle (manual gauge)? buy one
                    3.5 what is the oil pressure when at 2000 rpm? if it makes the alarm go off you could be in trouble
                    4. what is the fuel pressure at idle ?
                    5 what is the fuel pressure at WOT?
                    6. what does the temp gauge read?
                    7. what is the alarm for.. does the red light come on too? go into limp mode?
                    8. did you replace the impeller? i.e. if not is it over heating?

then as 1redTA said did you run the wires correctly? did you put on the right wires?

Before you start changing out any more parts get a base line of where you are at.. otherwise you will chase and chase and may never figure out what you fixed... eliminate one thing at a time...
                    Make a change check it .. make a change check it...

Comment

Wicker68 is close...I too had similar symptoms on my 08 when we pulled her out of storage while the babies were born & growing, say ~3 yrs. Boat ran like a charm on the hose on the water it would fall flat on it's face & eventually go into safe mode. Turned out to be electrical wires had been chewed through by the little rodents that had moved it while we were away. Start tracing wires like not spark plug but injectors & such. wire by wire, end to end - sorry. That did the trick for us but it took a week of some serious time commit. please keep us posted...

Comment

if the oil pressure (on the dash) is dropping at the same time that the engine is bogging down, I'd definitely be looking for electrical problems in the first instance. Have you checked the earth on the block? As noted above start checking other engine connections also.

Comment

If your battery is low because of the alternator not charging the system the boat with go limp mode. Happened to me. Battery and alternator were shot. Started up fine and ran just didnt have the juice to run properly.

Comment

Any status on this, inquiring minds want to know! give us an update...please

Comment

Working...
                            X