Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on a 2004 X30

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opinions on a 2004 X30

    Ok fellas, I'm looking at a 2004 X30. It's just been pulled from storage and needs some work but the guy is cutting me a deal. Boat is at the dealer now but the individual is willing to sell as is to me at a discount before fixing up what's wrong. Here's the skinny:

    -New interior 2 years ago, captains chair was not done. Not horrible but not MC quality
    -Sat in the lake this past summer for a few months. Short season, but owner and dealer confirmed no blistering. Hull needs to be cleaned.
    -Bad oxidation to hull
    -Some dock rash to the graphics and gel. Appears there is one gouge and maybe several spots that will not buff out. I'd have to live with them or attempt a gel repair.
    -Both manifolds have leaks due to the casting plug issues for this year boat. I can replace with aluminum ones at approx $1500-2000 installed or I could go back with cheaper cast iron risers and manifolds and save about $500.
    -585 hours

    What do you guys thing? He's asking 25k. What would you pay as is? I plan on getting a survey if we get an agreement and deposit on it. I would attempt wetsanding/compounding myself but I'd probably go ahead an pay someone to do the manifolds.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wakesurf6786; 03-06-2018, 09:18 PM.

  • #2
    I have an 08 x30 and love it. Not sure what the work will run you. Does it have ballast? If that’s important? Was it even an option?
    08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DavidF View Post
      I have an 08 x30 and love it. Not sure what the work will run you. Does it have ballast? If that’s important? Was it even an option?
      To my knowledge all X30's have Tower, PP and built in Ballast to rear lockers and a bag in the ski locker. I'm pretty sure that's standard.

      I want the boat primarily to surf, tube and ski. It would be my first MC!

      Comment


      • #4
        I paid about the same for my 03. Your interior seems to be in somewhat better shape, although my hull is cleaner/damage free. My engine had 800 hours (approaching 875 now), but still runs great. I can't comment on manifolds, having never pulled mine, but risers aren't a complicated project. Maybe you can pull the risers and have the dealer handle the manifolds? Might save a couple bucks in labor.

        I bought mine on consignment from a dealer. Asking was 28, I offered 25. Is the 25 asking before or after the discount if you handle the issues? Between the risers and manifolds, a good wet sand/polish and figuring an oil/impeller change and other odds and ends (maybe hoses, engine belts, etc.), you could be close to $2500. Glass work could be from a couple hundred up to a grand. No clue if you can find replacement graphics, but if available, they could be $$. That puts you potentially close to 29K, all in. I think that's not too bad, but a bit on the high side.

        I'd certainly ask about a water test, to ensure no vibrations from a bent prop and that the transmission is smooth. Make sure the engine starts, idles and runs smoothly, steering wheel turns smoothly and all.

        It's a great boat though- handles rough water very well, has plenty of room for passengers and pretty decent storage. We've had 8 people on ours and never felt crowded. I can see keeping it for quite a while, since it does everything we need. If you can grab it for a decent price and either do the repairs on a budget or live with a few blemishes, I think you'll enjoy the boat.
        G

        Comment


        • #5
          X30 year change was 06 so there is a big difference in 04 to 06+ years.

          You should be able to get new casting plugs tig welded on the manifolds for a lot cheaper then $500.

          I think 22k would be a better deal considering all the issues you posted.
          -Tim

          Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gweaver View Post
            I paid about the same for my 03. Your interior seems to be in somewhat better shape, although my hull is cleaner/damage free. My engine had 800 hours (approaching 875 now), but still runs great. I can't comment on manifolds, having never pulled mine, but risers aren't a complicated project. Maybe you can pull the risers and have the dealer handle the manifolds? Might save a couple bucks in labor.

            I bought mine on consignment from a dealer. Asking was 28, I offered 25. Is the 25 asking before or after the discount if you handle the issues? Between the risers and manifolds, a good wet sand/polish and figuring an oil/impeller change and other odds and ends (maybe hoses, engine belts, etc.), you could be close to $2500. Glass work could be from a couple hundred up to a grand. No clue if you can find replacement graphics, but if available, they could be $$. That puts you potentially close to 29K, all in. I think that's not too bad, but a bit on the high side.

            I'd certainly ask about a water test, to ensure no vibrations from a bent prop and that the transmission is smooth. Make sure the engine starts, idles and runs smoothly, steering wheel turns smoothly and all.

            It's a great boat though- handles rough water very well, has plenty of room for passengers and pretty decent storage. We've had 8 people on ours and never felt crowded. I can see keeping it for quite a while, since it does everything we need. If you can grab it for a decent price and either do the repairs on a budget or live with a few blemishes, I think you'll enjoy the boat.
            G
            Thanks for the insight. This is really helpful. It seems like a great boat for families. We have 5 in ours and would take out 3-4 other people at times.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
              X30 year change was 06 so there is a big difference in 04 to 06+ years.

              You should be able to get new casting plugs tig welded on the manifolds for a lot cheaper then $500.

              I think 22k would be a better deal considering all the issues you posted.
              I’d love an 06 but that’s out of my budget. I think for this year the manifolds/risers are one cast piece of aluminum. Do you think you would weld all of them? I think each side has 9. I’ve never had welding done but figures 9 welds each could add up.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, you can weld them.

                https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=48299

                I think it's more like 5 per manifold.
                -Tim

                Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

                Comment


                • #9
                  High Nickel content rods are fairly expensive...all relative to the good of the cause.

                  Pre-heat and post-heat treatment is recommended for success.

                  .
                  93 190
                  (safe click)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                    Yes, you can weld them.

                    https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=48299

                    I think it's more like 5 per manifold.
                    Thanks for the link, I ran across that recently. Seems like if you can find the right shop it could be an effective repair. I’ll have to check locally. I would rather replace as some mentioned the repair only lasted two seasons but they are $800 a piece!! Only $400 a few years ago.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X