Decal removal discoloration with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal removal discoloration with a twist

The decals from a new to me "ghost" all white X2 were removed last night and under them was a yellowish stain that required sanding. The more it was wet sanded, the more it blended in to the weathered hull. It was definitely discoloration under the decal, not vice versa. Anyone ever experienced this?

I ran into the same issue with registration numbers on the top of my new to me X5. The only thing that dulled the ghosting / discoloration was using my DeWalt rotary with a fairly aggressive pad. I used a marine oxidization compound remover (Meguiars). Took the discoloration out about 90%, but it left an orangeish "stain" on the gel.

A little sun faded the ghosting, but I can still see there the original registration numbers were originally located. I hope there is a solution to the issue, I would be interested in all replies.

Comment

Originally posted by tjrowbot View Post
      I ran into the same issue with registration numbers on the top of my new to me X5. The only thing that dulled the ghosting / discoloration was using my DeWalt rotary with a fairly aggressive pad. I used a marine oxidization compound remover (Meguiars). Took the discoloration out about 90%, but it left an orangeish "stain" on the gel.

A little sun faded the ghosting, but I can still see there the original registration numbers were originally located. I hope there is a solution to the issue, I would be interested in all replies.

Exactly. There is a solution. Takes an aggressive cut. Just verified in sunlight that mine is gone. 400/600/800/1000/1200 sandpaper followed by 3M Super Duty followed by Finesse It. Took about 1.5 hours. Now on to the other side.

Still very curious as to what causes this.

Comment

adhesive eating into the top layer of the gelcoat? Putting the decal on before the gel is completely dry? Interesting
        13 Super Air Nautique 230
        03 Super Air Nautique TE 210 - Sold
        88 Mastercraft TriStar 220 - Sold

Comment

The decal was from a newer X2 so its not from applying too early. Has to be the adhesive eating into the gelcoat.

Comment

This is my worry with removing the bullseye decals on my 08 x30. I want to update the look a bit but afraid of the leftovers. I guess my dealer could do it for a price... at $135/hour...
            08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidF View Post
              This is my worry with removing the bullseye decals on my 08 x30. I want to update the look a bit but afraid of the leftovers. I guess my dealer could do it for a price... at $135/hour...
              I had 2 boats with the bullseye, and hated that decal from day 1. (had dealer remove it before I took delivery of boat #2) Remove it, and sand, buff, or polish - whatever it takes.
              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Gel coat is super forgiving! Wet sanding and buffing just take time but it’s easy

Comment

Thanks John! might do it next year. after spending $ on new aqua marine deck/gator step and a fresh air exhaust (haven't done either yet, that's next week), running out of moolah for beer and gas
                  08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

Comment

I had exactly the same problem on my '00 Xstar. I think I even put a post up about it. The area under the decals were also raised slightly, which was a blessing in disguise as it made flatting the area off and cutting the raised/stained area a breeze.

Comment

Working...
                    X