Time to upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to upgrade

Looking for suggestions. We have a 1990 prostar 190 and have absolutely loved the boat in our 8 years of owning it but with a wife and 3 boys we have outgrown it. We are looking for more room (obviously) and a good all around boat. We ski, wakeboard, kneeboard, tube and barefoot. Also need something that can handle some rougher water than the old prostar as we often venture across some big lakes. What would everyone suggest? Not looking to spend 50k. Preferably something in the 20k range.

205v or spend a little more and get an 06 X2

Comment

Look into the MariStar line up, early 2000's. they handle rough water well and have a great layout for family and a few friends. I have a 1998 225VRS and love it.
      Joe

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun R View Post
        205v or spend a little more and get an 06 X2
        I'd second this for what you are describing

Comment

Originally posted by jsturvey View Post
          Look into the MariStar line up, early 2000's. they handle rough water well and have a great layout for family and a few friends. I have a 1998 225VRS and love it.
          Had an 02 230 VRS that I'm trading tomorrow to close on my new MC. It's been a great family of five boat and does handle big water fairly well. Great wake boat and can be a great surf boat. You could probably get a deal on mine from Les Webb at Skier's Marine at Lake Martin, AL.

Comment

We got our 1999 MariStar 230 VRS for 20k (the previous owner had already upgraded the sound system and added a tower as well). It regularly accommodates 10+ people, and we normally wakeboard but it has successfully slalomed, combo'd, kneeboarded, and surfed people. We don't have a boom or anyone who wants to try to barefoot behind it, but with a good barefooter and an empty boat, I bet it could do it. Can't go wrong with an older MariStar for a great all around boat.
            Tim
            2021 Lone Star MasterBash
            Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
            1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
            1995 MC ProStar 205
            ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

X14, X14 or 06+ X2, but they will all be over 30 and closer to 40K. Or the 205 for around 20K, as mentioned.
              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I went from the PS205 to the X9 for the same reasons, and the difference in rough water exponential. Then I went to the X14V from there and it was that much better once again. I agree with John on the X14, but the X9/PS209 is also a massive improvement in rough water with a great slalom wake at 32/34mph. I pulled it through the course 30x/week for years.

Comment

What kind of top speed are maristars capable of?

Comment

I had a 2006 Maristar 200VRS
                    This is basically X2 boat spec.
                    I think the top speed was somewhere in the low 40s.
                    I think these boats are still in the mid $30k , but a decent alternative to a Full X series from the same year or newer.
                    Maristar are slightly harder to find, then X from the same year , but they will also be considerably less money
                    sigpic
                    2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
                    2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
                    2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
                    2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
                    2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
                    2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
                    2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
                    2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
                    2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

I've been able to get to the mid 40's, but that was just my myself and less than half a tank of gas and smooth conditions.
                      Joe

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Comment

Originally posted by Crashmasterb View Post
                        What kind of top speed are maristars capable of?
                        0-60 in 4.5 gallons.

Comment

We were on smooth water cruising at 3000 RPM @ ~35mph yesterday after wakeboarding. If you really hammer down you can hit low-mid 40s.
                          Tim
                          2021 Lone Star MasterBash
                          Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                          1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                          1995 MC ProStar 205
                          ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Working...
                          X