NXT Canvas Cover Not Staying Put at Transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT Canvas Cover Not Staying Put at Transom

I have a 2018 NXT 22 with the OEM under tower mooring/trailer canvas cover, and it has been a pain to get it to properly seat around the rub rail at corners of the transom. It seems like it is much more difficult than my family's 2014 X25 cover to get it to stay put, partly because of the design of the rub rail at the rear of the boat.

The corners are really rounded off and don't hold the cover in place well when trying to ratchet it down. See photo below for reference. Just wanted to see if any other forum members have had the same issues on NXT20 or NXT22 models. It seems like the hold-down straps should be designed to go straight down to the D rings, but instead, they go way over at a shallow angle to the opposite side D ring, which doesn't create much downward holding force.

This results in me going back and forth trying to ratchet the left side, then right side, with each opposite side popping off when I try to tighten it down. It literally makes the install process take 20 minutes when it should take 5 minutes. I know this would be easier with a second person to hold down the other side, but it's pretty difficult on your own. It almost seems like the canvas material needed to be cut another inch longer to help it stay put.
    Attached Files

My dealer said something about loosening the top rope that goes over the tower if it was too difficult to get the cover over the rub rail to stay. I was able to get mine done in about 10 minutes, but you might want to look at that. There's an adjustment there somewhere.

Comment

That’s a drag. I have a 16 NXT22 and don’t have that problem. Not sure what to say except push the dealer to get you a new cover. 5yr warranty on everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Could be over tightening them. Albeit mine is an over tower cover, I literally never use the ratchets to get it snug anymore. Just got it right once, then never touched them again.
        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
        For Sale:
        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Try to loosen both ratchets straps and once over the back tighten both down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the same issue the first couple times, it has gotten a little easier. It needs to stretch a little bit. Get it on and get it in the sun let it get wet a few times...

Trick I found that works is get it snug and pull down on one side and then go to other side and pull it down and ratchet a little and go back to the other side and ratchet all the way. And don't tighten the tower string until last. Let it get warm in the sun before putting it on.

The first time I drove with it on, the back came off at 50 mph and scared the hell out of me as I have heard the horror story of what can happen. I'm not going to trust it yet until it fully stretches which is almost their. I do think the older covers like the one I had on my 06' X30 were much more secure with the way they used the cleats to help hold in place.

Comment

Originally posted by hyman989 View Post
              Try to loosen both ratchets straps and once over the back tighten both down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              This for sure.
              Don’t over tighten it. Set it and then don’t mess with it

Comment

I got exact same issue. I think tookeymonster right about letting it stretch out a bit. Hoping it gets easier as it gets used

Comment

Originally posted by FatManandSons View Post
                  That’s a drag. I have a 16 NXT22 and don’t have that problem. Not sure what to say except push the dealer to get you a new cover. 5yr warranty on everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Same here.. no issues at all on our 16 model.

Comment

my dealer told me master craft knows they have a problem specific to the 2018 22 foot boats and covers. they are too tight. call and ask your local dealer

Comment

You have to pull one side down tighten the ratchet some . Pull the other side down around the rub rail also and tighten the ratchet.. pull down the to straps in the middle down hard and then make the ratchets tight and check around the curve part of the rub rail. You can pull the corners down some more at the end. This works for me. It gets faster as you keep doing it. I live in the northern most part of NJ Culver Lake. We just had sustained 60 mph winds for a half hour and the cover didn’t come off.

Comment

Same problem here. My 2017 was fine but the new 2018 change does not seem to want to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by culver View Post
                          We just had sustained 60 mph winds for a half hour and the cover didn’t come off.
                          Haaaaaa... my entire 5.5hr tow to Lake Havasu is sustained "winds of 70mph" I should hope the cover stays on!!
                          sigpic
                          2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
                          2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
                          2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
                          2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
                          2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
                          2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
                          2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
                          2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
                          2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

Sounds like this might be a dimensional issue with the 2018 cover measurements. Make sure you let your dealer know so they can notify MC to document multiple instances of the issue.

Originally posted by monsterwake View Post
                            Same problem here. My 2017 was fine but the new 2018 change does not seem to want to stay.

Comment

Our dealer recommends towing without a cover. He says it’s easier to wipe down an interior after you get to the lake than to buff out scuffs in the gel from the cover flapping in the wind. Interesting thought. Not sure how I feel about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X