Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 Prostar 205 prop replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1994 Prostar 205 prop replacement

    Looking for a new prop and keeping this one as a backup. Why to get is the question... I’ve read a lot and people are saying the acme 541 but what 13x13 13x12.5 13x12??? So many options and little knowledge on my end. I am a skier- ski 32 mph on average sometimes 34. Top speed isn’t critical but would like to be around 36-38. I want to get people up fast and up to ski speed fast. Any help is really appreciated.

    Pictures is what is currently on it and condition. Is it worth keeping as a spare?
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Acme 541 / 13 x 12 / LH

    http://www.nettleprops.com/store/p/2...e-080-Cup.aspx

    They will price match.

    I would be hesitant to use your current prop even as a spare, per se'. Your call.

    $0.02

    .
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

    Comment


    • #3
      Waterlogged always gives good advice based on a lot of experience, I would listen to him.

      Both the Acme 541 and 543 are great. I have a '92 205. Since I run at 4800' I use the Acme 543 which is 11.5" pitch. I love it. My hole shot is significantly better than my friend's Malibu. I get GPS-verified 36 mph at 3200 rpm with no load, might need 3300 rpm while pulling a skier at that speed. Top speed is 42 mph.

      My personal opinion is that four blade props don't offer any performance advantage for our boats.

      Your OEM 13 x 13 prop would get you home if you trash your new CNC prop, but it's a 30 year old design, doesn't compare to the new props from OJ or Acme.
      Last edited by Miss Rita; 06-24-2018, 10:34 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I bought a 4b 13x13 cast Oj.. good start for ski holds speed better imo than a 3b cast and i occasionally ballast up a bit for wakeboarding. Top speed I get is 41/42. IMO I would try 13x12 or 13 x 11.5

        Definitely do a try and buy to get best performance.

        Your prop has cavitation burns on it.. so prolly a bit out of balance.

        Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

        Comment


        • #5
          I just got me an Acme 543 13" X 11.5" prop and am excited to wring it out. I have heard good things about it. I had the original OJ 13" x 13" and as of so far, I have not been real impressed with its performance. I will post up results here when I get out to test it out. With the original 89 prop I was getting 40mph (GPS) at 4000 RPM which was WOT. I also am also not concerned with top speed other than to gauge engine performance. However, I understand I should be getting somewhere around 4500 or 4600 RPM. I also have FAE so that may affect top speed some. So anyhow, we shall see. . .
          Rick
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Miss Rita View Post
            Waterlogged always gives good advice based on a lot of experience, I would listen to him.

            Both the Acme 541 and 543 are great. I have a '92 205. Since I run at 4800' I use the Acme 543 which is 11.5" pitch. I love it. My hole shot is significantly better than my friend's Malibu. I get GPS-verified 36 mph at 3200 rpm with no load, might need 3300 rpm while pulling a skier at that speed. Top speed is 42 mph.

            My personal opinion is that four blade props don't offer any performance advantage for our boats.

            Your OEM 13 x 13 prop would get you home if you trash your new CNC prop, but it's a 30 year old design, doesn't compare to the new props from OJ or Acme.
            Thanks waterlogged, I’ll heed to your advice and others and just get two props and toss my old one. Appreciate the help. I am ski at lakes between 4500-4800’. Sounds like the the 543 and 541 are the ticket from acme. Is acme better than OJ or is this a ford/dodge debate and both are good people just have their personal preference? I’d be happy with a top speed of 42 and a good holeshot.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rico-X View Post
              I just got me an Acme 543 13" X 11.5" prop and am excited to wring it out. I have heard good things about it. I had the original OJ 13" x 13" and as of so far, I have not been real impressed with its performance. I will post up results here when I get out to test it out. With the original 89 prop I was getting 40mph (GPS) at 4000 RPM which was WOT. I also am also not concerned with top speed other than to gauge engine performance. However, I understand I should be getting somewhere around 4500 or 4600 RPM. I also have FAE so that may affect top speed some. So anyhow, we shall see. . .
              Let me know your thoughts, what boat too? Prostar 205?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cfgunnell View Post
                Let me know your thoughts, what boat too? Prostar 205?
                I will indeed let you know, but it will prolly be some time after the July 4th before I can get a chance to test it out unfortunately. I will post up results within this thread. I have an 89 Prostar 190 w/1:1 velvet drive connected to a 351w
                Rick
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cfgunnell View Post
                  Thanks waterlogged, I’ll heed to your advice and others and just get two props and toss my old one. Appreciate the help. I am ski at lakes between 4500-4800’. Sounds like the the 543 and 541 are the ticket from acme. Is acme better than OJ or is this a ford/dodge debate and both are good people just have their personal preference? I’d be happy with a top speed of 42 and a good holeshot.
                  It's a Ford / Dodge debate.

                  Acme has a fine reputation as well as OJ. I use Acme from way back when but I also patron OJ's shop every so often. He also provides a great product as well as service and he has always been great for getting me in and out of his store with prop needs, etc.

                  OJ's props are a little thicker in material but that is neither here nor there. The Acme spins up like a new top.

                  I think either one will serve you well.

                  .
                  93 190
                  (safe click)
                  John 14:6
                  (safe click)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a ‘92 PS205, 285hp carbed (no EFI in ‘92), with 1:1 trans. I switched from the stock prop to Acme 541. My previous MC was an ‘89 PS 190 Powerslot which screamed out of the hole. Stock prop in my 205 wasn’t close to the ‘slot pull. With the Acme 541 I have all the pulling power I would ever need, and it’s a huge improvement over stock. Recently pulled a buddy right up skiing 32-off @ 34mph with 5 people in the boat. It holds speed extremely well and I think has a softer feel across the wake at all speeds compared to stock and due to the CNC machining is just much smoother running/feeling when driving. Non-GPS top speed is right at 44mph. Some vendors will allow you to exchange props until you are happy. I purchased mine from skidim and believe they allow this exchange although you have to pay shipping both ways. I think the 543 has more hole shot, and good choice if you are at elevation it’s probably the better choice. Otherwise a toss up. OJ is a great company also, but I’m extremely pleased with my 541.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've got a prop off of my '94 190. It's a fantastic skiing prop. It's an ACME 475 - just slightly bigger than the 541 to lower skiing rpm just a little. It still has a great hole shot. It really smoothed out the wake and lessened turbulence and rooster tail.

                      http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=85671

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It’s ford / Chevy.
                        I tried oj 3 and 4 blade. Very happy w service. I thought wake was better (15 a 28off) on the 3 blade. I think rpms were just a bit Lower at speed.
                        Only advantage to 4b was holeshot was better. But, seeing how we use 1/2 throttle to pull up most skiers, I don’t care about holeshot.
                        Not sure how this translates to high altitude setting.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Also, for a backup, if the one you have now works, I would debate to keep unless you have endless $$$. Another Prop is like 1/2 of perfect pass....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ben View Post
                            Also, for a backup, if the one you have now works, I would debate to keep unless you have endless $$$. Another Prop is like 1/2 of perfect pass....
                            Perfect pass is my next purchase as well... so I am all for saving $$$ if i can but don't want to keep something around if it could become a problem in the near future. I am leaning towards the 541.

                            I'd like to find a 543 as a backup and then toss my old one that has cavitation burns.

                            I am not familiar with the 475 and how well that would run on my boat.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              FWIW I tried the 541 prior to buying the 543. The 543 has slightly better hole shot, and about another 100 rpm at WOT. They're both great.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X