X2 ski and surf qualities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2 ski and surf qualities

Can anyone comment on the ski (free skiing) and surf qualities of the x2.

Looking for a good and reasonably priced crossover boat that skis and surfs reasonably well.
    I know they’re ends of the spectrum but enjoy both aspects.

And can gen 2 surf tabs/system be added to a 2011-2012. Was it an option?

Thanks
    2010 X14 MCX
    2006 197 MCX - sold
    2002 X9 - sold
    19' J craft - sold
    19 Charger SK - sold

Gen 2 can't be added to the 2011 or 2012. It was introduced in 2014 and can be retrofit on a 2013.

If you are in the market I would urge you to look for 2013+

Surf wake is great with Gen 2

Free ski wake is great with the wake plate

I've had a 2008 X2 and now have a 2016 X2...
    2018 XT22 - Current
    1985 SS - Current

2016 X2 - Sold
    2008 X2 - Sold
    2003 197 TT - Sold
    1993 205 - Sold

Comment

X2 is a solid free ski boat. Advise you to find one with a center ride plate to tune the wake a bit for all activities. Boat will surf decent with 450 piggy back bags in the lockers with the boat set up to “list”. Add a surf gate and the wave will improve on the port side. We don’t use a gate on starboard because the riders on that side say the gate takes the push out of the wave.
      You can add GSA to make the boat surf great without listing on any +06 X2.
      Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Originally posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
        X2 is a solid free ski boat. Advise you to find one with a center ride plate to tune the wake a bit for all activities. Boat will surf decent with 450 piggy back bags in the lockers with the boat set up to “list”. Add a surf gate and the wave will improve on the port side. We don’t use a gate on starboard because the riders on that side say the gate takes the push out of the wave.
        You can add GSA to make the boat surf great without listing on any +06 X2.
        ^ X2
        Currently schlepping on BIL's X46

MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX (Sold)
        OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
        Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
        http://www.crowniehq.net

Comment

Coming from a 197, you may be disappointed with the ski wake. I have 3 lake neighbors with X2's and they all ski behind my X14.

Comment

I had a 2008 for 5 years and loved everything about it. The ski wake is good for a v-drive. As others have said make sure it has a center trim plate to flatten out the wake.

As for the surf wave, I had the fly-high x2 sacks plumbed in the back compartments. I believe they are 400 additional lbs. I would fill the rear tanks and sacks only (no center tank). I had a wake shaper surf gate attached to the swim platform. Speed was about 10.5 regular surfers and 10.8 on the goofy side. The surf wave was really good for a 20 foot boat. I "upgraded" to the XT20 and I miss my X2 surf wave. Maybe I'll get it dialed in someday.

I would buy an X2 again.

Comment

X2 is an iteration of the original x-star 205V hull so skiing wise its basically like taking one of those and moving 500 lbs into the back of the boat. Doesn't do it too many favors but there are far worse ski hulls out there.

As mentioned if you can find a DD hull like a prostar 214, or a X14 DD then you will have less weight in the rear - but you can ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                X2 is an iteration of the original x-star 205V hull so skiing wise its basically like taking one of those and moving 500 lbs into the back of the boat. Doesn't do it too many favors but there are far worse ski hulls out there.

As mentioned if you can find a DD hull like a prostar 214, or a X14 DD then you will have less weight in the rear - but you can ballast.
                Only 2005 and earlier. 2006 and newer are a different hull

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Did the center plate come factory equipped as an option or was it aftermarket.
                  Can it be added to a 2012?
                  2010 X14 MCX
                  2006 197 MCX - sold
                  2002 X9 - sold
                  19' J craft - sold
                  19 Charger SK - sold

Comment

as far as I know Its a option and can be added but not cheap!! I didn't get it when I bought my 07 later and found the plate on great lakes skipper but I haven't seen one on there in sometime.

as far as ski wake I have only skied behind mine once and it was after my father passed away 4 years ago. did it since he was the one who taught me to ski and was a great skier.

on the surf wake oh it gets good when you add GSA. Mine has two 820lbs bags on each rear locker on top of factory ballast and 400 lbs of steel shot.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I didn’t even realize that you could fit 820lb bags in the rears

I’ve been getting ready to add some lead

So far, we’ve only added weight via passengers. It’s surprising how much of a difference an extra adult or two can make to the wake on our x2.

Wish it handled rougher water a bit better, but so far has been a great family sport boat

Comment

Originally posted by Elnino31 View Post
                        I didn’t even realize that you could fit 820lb bags in the rears

I’ve been getting ready to add some lead

So far, we’ve only added weight via passengers. It’s surprising how much of a difference an extra adult or two can make to the wake on our x2.

Wish it handled rougher water a bit better, but so far has been a great family sport boat
                        they will fit!! Aric25 gave me the input on it. but be ready to reinforce the dividers. wakemakers has a really good setup for it.

Comment

Growing up skiing behind MCs I guess I’d put it this way, it skis fair for a boat that can be a great surf boat with the proper setup...if you’re an avid skier. We ski all the time and don’t have a center trim tab, so we have a pretty serious skip when crossing the wake. That being said, with the 820s in the rears and the GSA I’d put my starboard side surf wave up against any other! My port struggles some even with an extra 400lb bag under the port ski locker...I need a fuel tank of gas to get it close to the starboard side surf wave

Overall, I consider the X2 a great XOver boat!
                          ----------------------------------
                          2006 X2: GSA, Port Custom 1550#, Starboard 820#, 600# X2 horseshoe in the bow, Rub Rail Docking Lights

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
                            Coming from a 197, you may be disappointed with the ski wake. I have 3 lake neighbors with X2's and they all ski behind my X14.
                            ^^^ This.

I have four neighbors with inboards and none of them will even consider a ski set behind my X2

Comment

I've taken mine through the course before. There's a bump, but it's no slouch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X