Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLA
    replied
    All three of those Fusion wired remotes have a display.

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    Originally posted by MLA View Post
    Apollo series MS-ERX400 has ethernet
    Apollo Series MS-SRX400 w/wifi
    and the older MS-NRX300

Just need to make sure you get a head unit and remote that are compatible.
    are any or all of those wired to where there is digital display at the remote?

does the notes back to the sound guys for new quotes sound reasonable?

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
    do you know the model number of the wired Fusion remote you mentioned above?
    Apollo series MS-ERX400 has ethernet
    Apollo Series MS-SRX400 w/wifi
    and the older MS-NRX300

Just need to make sure you get a head unit and remote that are compatible.

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    here are my notes we will be sending to both guys we got quotes from. I would love comments or corrections:

After digging thru all the quotes and recommendations, and then going off doing my own research from some trusted boat people, I think I have an idea of what we are looking for now.

I am strongly leaning towards one of the two head units and wired remote control to get digital at the helm as a replacement from the OEM Clarion equipment currently in the boat. Although I have been a long supporter of Kenwood, I don’t feel they are up to par in a marine application for any longevity in that environment.

The Clarion M608 with MW1 or MW3 wired remote … OR … the Fusion MS-RA607 and xxx wired remote. These could be all dependent on availability on which to go with.

As far as the amp goes, I looked back at when we had the previous work done (fall 2019) and the amp that drives the towers was replaced then with an NVX VAD8402 which is a 2 channel 840 watts RMS which should deliver 210W to each speaker … so no advantage of going to the JL M800/8 as even bridged 4 channels with all channels at 2 ohm, it is only hitting the tower speakers RMS of 200W. So, the only reason to replace the existing NVX is I believe would be move to something with more power, like a Wet Sounds Syn-DX2.3HP that would deliver 300W per speaker and run more efficiently with higher output of sound.

We still need to track down & repair the pinched wire on the #3 tower speaker and troubleshoot the white tower (masthead) light on top of the tower.

I welcome feedback on the above.

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    Originally posted by MLA View Post
    Purely from a wattage standpoint, the current nvx is going to deliver the same wattage as the JL M800/8 or MV600/2. So if the nvx is working as it should, you will not gain in volume.

An amp like that Syn-DX2.3HP that offers a great deal more wattage, means we get peak wattage to the speaker, but at a lower gain level setting on the amp. This has the amp running more conservative. This can = better sound quality.

The Fusion also supports a wired remote that has a display. One key advantage to the fusion wired remote v's the clarion, is that the zone control is accessible on the fusion wired remote.
    do you know the model number of the wired Fusion remote you mentioned above?

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    thanks, this is the first time I have had a minute today to read here. Great suggestions and make me rethink the original thoughts coming back to this thread yesterday. I will compile a bunch of data and come up with a new plan of attack tomorrow ... get back with both sound guys to bounce off of them and get them to requote. again, thanks!!!

Leave a comment:

• Yellow X9
    replied
    I'm a big JL Audio Fan, where amps are concerned, the XD series I use the following JL Products in my 06-X9
    2- JL XD 8008
    1- JL XD 1001
    1 JL- Media Master - Head unit w/ BT- with remote control pod on the Drivers side and 4 volt output on the Audio out-puts
    2, JL - 13TW5 Subs
    1, JL Tweak 88 to dial in the system
    4, Rev 10"s on the tower
    1, JL Free Air 10 under the drivers dash- more used for lower Mid bass freq- 120hz - 220hz
    3 pair JL 770's
    I run 3 batteries- never had dead batteries
    Also built in a 3 bank battery maintainer
    Very loud and most importantly- Clean Sound
    The Tweak 88- allows me to fine tune the system, most importantly tune down the the horn loaded highs in the Rev 10's

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
    interesting ... we only hear the buzzing/crackling on one speaker, the one where I found the pinched wire. I will have to investigate closer, just found that.

back to amp that drives the towers ... is the NVX amp, ample for the towers?

I will take the above comments regarding the comparison between the Clarion and Fusion head units back to both sound guys to get their thoughts or rebuttal. As of now, I am leaning to the Clarion as I think the remote being wired with digital would be better for us.
    Purely from a wattage standpoint, the current nvx is going to deliver the same wattage as the JL M800/8 or MV600/2. So if the nvx is working as it should, you will not gain in volume.

An amp like that Syn-DX2.3HP that offers a great deal more wattage, means we get peak wattage to the speaker, but at a lower gain level setting on the amp. This has the amp running more conservative. This can = better sound quality.

The Fusion also supports a wired remote that has a display. One key advantage to the fusion wired remote v's the clarion, is that the zone control is accessible on the fusion wired remote.

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
    MLA is your sound guy.

he has helped me tremendously to where I can almost understand all this stuff ...

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    MLA is your sound guy.

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    interesting ... we only hear the buzzing/crackling on one speaker, the one where I found the pinched wire. I will have to investigate closer, just found that.

back to amp that drives the towers ... is the NVX amp, ample for the towers?

I will take the above comments regarding the comparison between the Clarion and Fusion head units back to both sound guys to get their thoughts or rebuttal. As of now, I am leaning to the Clarion as I think the remote being wired with digital would be better for us.

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    Address the pinched wire and see if the unwanted noise goes away, then go from there. My gut says the noise will still be there, why? The 2 speakers on that side are wired as one, so to speak, as they are both powered by the same amp channel. If the short causes noise in one, it would likely induce the noise in both speakers.

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    hmmm, that amp has 2x 40 amp fuses. At one minute, the tower was sounding fine, the poof, nothing. after getting home, I checked to see if there was something wrong and found both of those 40 amp fuses blown. I picked up 2 new fuses, plugged them in and everything sounded fine other than a little buzzing/crackling noise from one speaker ... upon inspection is when I found the pinched wire. That same trip out we could not get the add-on bluetooth to connect to neither my wife or my phones. That's when she called the sound guys to give us a quote. One guy came out and crawled thru the entire system and gave us the recommendation of the Kenwood head & remote, new JL m800/8 bridged to drive the 4 Rev 8s, and trouble shooting wiring throughout the tower.

wife wanted a 2nd opinion is when the 2nd guy basically quoted us the same thing but threw out his preferred option of the Fusion head unit & remote, which was comparable on same and a bit higher with Fusion and also threw out the idea of the capacitor.

Leave a comment:

• MLA
    replied
    Wattage wise, that nvx will deliver 210W rms to each speaker. So build quality aside, there is no advantage to the wattage of either JL amp mentioned here.

If the conductors are shorted, it typically puts the amp into protect mode, and would effect both speakers on the chnl. Given the price point of that amp, I doubt it can shut down an individual chnl, so it would likely shut down both channels, causing all the tower speakers to go quite.

I would not expect a shorted speaker lead to cause the amp's on-board fusing to blow.

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    now the not so easy part that totally escaped my memory ... the 2nd amp that drives the towers is not the older Memphis that I was thinking, we evidently replaced that during the process 2 years ago also.

I decided to take a peek when I was taking a picture of the remote is when I realized that amp was not the old Memphis.

so... the amp that drives the 4x Rev 8's on the tower is an NVX VAD8402, and the description I am finding online is that it is a 2 Channel 840 watts RMS. I am guessing in reading back thru this entire thread, it was one of the recommendations via private message and I forgot to capture that here on the thread. So, maybe I don't need to replace after all???

I did find a spot on one of the tower speakers that has a crackling sound where the wires were pinched where the clamp attaches to the tower cross tube, and am starting to wonder if that might have cut thru the insulation enough to cause a ground that blew the fuses on that amp. I need to remove that speaker to check that wiring.

so (keeping fingers crossed) we may only need a head unit and replacing the helm remote ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X